Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '61 Chevy Build...Pop's Shop Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ClutchDumpinDan, Jan 4, 2011.

1. My Dad and I got this '61 Chevy pickup a few years ago with a blown up 6 cyl in it. Tossed around some different ideas of what to do with since then.

Final decision, a nice daily driver / shop truck for him to cruise around in. Here's how it's coming along...

When we got it....

[​IMG]

They do go back together as easy as they come apart....right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of metalwork to do on this one...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Motor and trans. mounts...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  2. Crate 350ci and 700R4...

[​IMG]

Put the fuel tank under the bed...

[​IMG]

Cab all cleaned up and ready to mount...

[​IMG]

And how it sits right now, cab mounted and ready to start on fuel and brake lines. Waiting on a few parts to arrive them we'll put the front sheetmetal back on.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  3. mt94ss

mt94ss

Nice progress pics!

4. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

what gas tank did you use?

5. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Nice nice nice....and talent to boot!!
    Your Dad will be pleased !!

6. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

7. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

8. DaveInc

DaveInc

Nice work Dan!

9. Deadbird

Deadbird

Nice work on the rust repair. I like the gas tank too. Will you be able to see the bottom of the tank hanging below the bumper and bed sides, or is it shallow enough to tuck up out of sight? Keep the updates coming.

10. Dang, Dan, you're at it again! Sheesh, how many vehicles you got now in your driveway?Nice!

11. Two black shirts? Two pair black trousers? One pair black boots? :rolleyes::D

Thanks Dave!

Gonna be close, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna be hidden. Haven't set the bed on yet to check.

Not many at the moment...moved them all to the secret storage spot "B" for the winter :eek:

12. Almost forgot to add...one blue Vicky :D

13. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Can I come too, I even have the right themed tattoo.

14. Nice!
    Did you do PS/PB disk?

Mine looks like the apart pics, and has for quite a while.
    Thanks for the inspiration to get back on it.

15. As long as you bring some propane for the heater...this weather sucks! :eek:

Power disc brakes and 2" drop spindles from CPP. The power steering bracket kit came from them as well, got the box and pump from Autozone.

Any pics of your truck?

16. Driver side axle seal was leaking so we decided to replace both of them and the bearings since they're no telling how old. Simple job right? Passenger side came apart just fine. Driver side, not so much.

The axle bearing was coming apart and had cut it's way into the axle not allowing it to slide in to remove the C-Clip. Had to give the end of the axle a Happy Gilmore sized swing with the sledge hammer to get it in far enough to get the C-Clip to drop out. Then put a steel bar in the opposite side axle tube and drive the axle out, bearing and all. Axle is trashed, luckily I had a parts truck to steal one out of.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since the truck no longer needs the column shift stuff I went ahead and cut the shift arms off the column. Kinda ugly afterwards so I made a cover for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the power steering hoses made, steering shaft welded together and master cylinder mounted.

[​IMG]

Time to start hangin' some sheetmetal...

[​IMG]

17. MISTER TWISTER

MISTER TWISTER

Truck looks great! you did a nice job on floor and mounts. i just picked up a 62 shortbox step side. i cranked down the torsion bars in the front to lower it. i would like to put dropped spindles on it someday. what did you use for rear springs? i was going to use jeep tj springs if i can find some. I like the power steering. what application is the steering box for?

18. Thanks!

The rear springs are 4" drop made by CPP. Speedway sells them now as well. They sell a 5" drop spring but you're suppose to c-notch at that point. Measured the clearance on mine earlier, with the bed back on and a full tank of fuel, looks like I'll have about 4" travel before the rear hits the frame...only 1 3/4" until it hits the bump stops though, gonna have to move them up.

Steering box is from a '69-'87 2wd Chevy. Heres a link to the instruction sheet--> http://www.classicperform.com/power6066.htm

19. MISTER TWISTER

MISTER TWISTER

cool! I'll look into the dropped coils if i cant find the TJ's. I think Summit might sell them as well. Thats a great write up on the power steering. thanx again. scott

20. hasty

hasty

Very nice truck.

21. MISTER TWISTER

MISTER TWISTER

i believe 60-62 was the only years for torsion bars. I never knew that either till i owned one....

22. Thanks hasty!

Yup, '60-'62 on the torsion bars.

23. Got the fuel line done and started on the brake lines...

[​IMG]

24. Coupe Crazy

Coupe Crazy
    from LI, NY

Very nice truck. I always liked the 60's bowties. Great job with the build!

25. Hawks

Hawks
    from Floyd, VA

Man, thats what i need to do to my 62!!

26. Started working on the doors...there should be a 30 day waiting period on Bondo! Solid 3/8" thick on the bottom, tapered to 1/4" half way up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Screwed up and didn't bend the flanges over at 90 degrees to each other so I had to pie cut it and pull it over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now all I gotta do is grind it all down and start on the passenger door, oh joy! :D

27. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

Great buil nice to see another one saved.

28. Got everything ground down and smoothed out today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Used some seam sealer on the inside corners to smooth them out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brake lines are all finished...

[​IMG]

Original plan called for wood in the bed so we ordered the steel strips then decided to go with a steel bed floor instead. Put the strips in it anyways so it looks somewhat original-ish.

[​IMG]

Next up is the passenger door....then the hood followed by the passenger rear fender

29. Thanks!

If the weather is half way decent I plan on going.