Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC intake manifold, what's best for street

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pokey, Jan 11, 2011.

1. pokey

pokey

I am having my thumpr cam installed as we speak. I see that Weiand has a new intake out call the Street warrior. Anybody used this yet? It says that the intake is for motors that have good flowing heads and performance cams. Anybody using a intake that makes a performance difference? This is for a street rod.

2. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

sorry i haven't used one.But i would like to know how they work.Im just glad to see something different than the same old edelcrock on a sbc good luck.

3. Buck Sharp

Buck Sharp
    from nebraska

I have a speed warrior intake, i like it. i do see now they are different. I use it on a 327 Chevy engine and it works well. looks nice i think.

4. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Here are a few that are different..
    Duane.

Attached Files:

5. hotrod brice

hotrod brice
    from molino,Fl.

I have run a stealth before it was as good as the edelbrock performer rpm.

6. The tallest dual-plane you can get to fit under the hood.

They've been developing that type of manifold so long that I'd bet you won't find much of a difference between brands...

1Nimrod likes this.
  7. pokey

pokey

The street warrier just arrived tonite. It is the polished kind very nice. The dual plane is very tall. I have a feeling that they will discontinue the stealth because this one has all the charateristic of the stealt and then some. It looks like it will work better. I can't wait to see:)

8. Larry T

Larry T

It's amazing that after all these years, folks are still basically building clones of the old Chevy Z-28/LT-1 intakes. It speaks volumes for the original design.
    Larry T

1Nimrod likes this.
  9. 94hoghead

94hoghead

At one time, I had two Z28 intakes. Traded them off over the years. Big mistake....Huge...

10. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Aren't the early edelbrock c-4b and c3b made similar to that design?

11. I use a Holly Contender on my 355 not a traditional intake per say. Good flat curve good from just off idle to about 7K.

1Nimrod likes this.
  12. Diavolo

Diavolo

It's already been said, just repeating. Dual plane intake, longest runners possible.

13. Deuces

Deuces

GM should bring that one back! They sold a bunch of those over the counter.. Guess they ran out of those just a few years ago.. They still have the iron version with the Holley and Quadrajet bolt pattern.. :eek:

14. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I never spin my motors over 6500 so I have had good luck with any hi rise. If I buy new, stealth, if used what ever.

15. Larry T

Larry T

I think the C-3B and C-4B are shorter than the Z-28. They are made similar to the Performer.
    Edelbrock Performer RPM is similar to the originals. Holley used to make a tall dual plane too (I think Contender), don't know if it's still available or not. I haven't seen the new Weiand in person, but the pictures look real similar too.
    Larry T

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
    1Nimrod likes this.
  16. Deuces

Deuces

I had both versions of the Holley Dominator intakes.. One was the Strip Dominator and the Street Dominator which looked like the Z/28-LT-1 intake.. I should have kept them both.. :(

1Nimrod likes this.
  17. I use the Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap for Vortec heads. It works very nice when the engine's hot but is very cold natured in the mid-west winters.

18. pokey

pokey

They are about to install it. I got a shot just before, looks like it's a step above the stealt. I have the stealt and it's OK I think the action plus is a bit better. That one is supposed to be the entry level intake. Pic won't upload

19. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Those are nice,,
    like to have one on my sbc in my 41 truck..
    cost??

20. indyjps

indyjps

hard to beat a Victor Jr or Perfromer RPM, you dont say what engine so its hard to say. SBC's are pretty simple though.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

There were two SBC "Street Dominators" the 300-36, aka the "Contender" Z-28 clone, and the original 300-1 single plane. Years ago, Hot Rod did a dyno test comparing the Z-28 intake, the Perf. Rpm, and the 300-36, they were so close, the differences (3-4 hp total spread between the three) were within what I consider the expected pull-to-pull variance. The C3BX lands between these three intakes and the Performer.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think thats actually a "marine" intake, EXCELLENT piece. Edelbrock also sells a Q-jet flanged perf. rpm. we ran one on the 383 in my brothers hunting truck. Idiot behind the parts counter said "what do you want one of those for??". Morons...

23. If someone really wants one of the Z-28/LT-1 intakes I have an extra, a little ot but sounds like it may help someone.

1Nimrod likes this.
  24. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

THEY?! who is "they" and what in pluperfect hell are "they" doin under your hood?! i'm gonna 2nd or 3rd the old Z-28 intake, those factory guys really knew their shit plus look at all the R&D capabilities the manufacturers had. mines just a crappy aluminum early/mid 80s aluminum GM job with a 1405 edelbrock on it but in an 1800# car, its great! and the total cash outlay was $50.... including the carb!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  25. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I just got a Performer EPS and am looking forward to seeing how it runs, if I ever get my block back from the machine shop. Got to be better than the
    SP2P that I was running (came with the engine).

1Nimrod likes this.
  26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

:DI was thinking it, just wasnt gonna say it.

27. pokey

pokey

Finally got you some shots. The intake only cost about 211.00 I can't wait to hear this cam.

Attached Files:

1Nimrod likes this.
  28. pokey

pokey

I am having a problem with this timing cover. It's a Summit racing part. It will not accept the thick seal for the oil pan. They say I need a thin seal. I think I have one from another build from some years ago.

29. pokey

pokey

We got alot of help around here, alot;) They always help out. I can barely lift this stuff:rolleyes:

1Nimrod likes this.