Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds valve covers on a Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Straightpipes, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 117harv

117harv

Would two pairs of Rocket valve covers be enough to weld together and make covers for my Hemi????

2. ^^^^This thread needs a standing 8-count after that post. Well put.

3. Don't take this out of context, but a there is quite of bit of folks dropping their jaw over this car over in another thread, and rightfully so, it is an incredible creation. But I bet no one bats an eye at the faked lincoln covers. so whats the big deal? yeah, its overplayed, we all know it, and those that did it, probably know it by now.

[​IMG]

4. I don't mind Olds valve covers on a SBC, but it really torques my jaw when someone puts a SBC under Olds valve covers.

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

here's why I canceled my subscription to SRM....UGH!

[​IMG]

now who "at first glimpse" would even come close to being fooled?...that editor there is a real dork...and that's being soooooo nice.

6. Jimv

Jimv

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    JimV

7. Exactly.

8. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

Ok then somebody beat me to sicking flatheads on a sbc,so now I propose hollowing out a top fuel hemi with blower and all full sized model and sticking that over my sbc.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Now THAT's funny!!!!:D

Ray

10. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

well we wouldnt have until they were pointed out in the magazine.

11. Yes, it actually is a small block chevy. It has adapters inside the fake heads to space out center exhaust tubes like that.

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to put Duesenberg cam covers on my Packard straight 8. Does that mean I'm "one of them"? Maybe I better not. I'll stick with the 2 hemi valve covers welded together. Hey, that would be kool! A straight 8 HEMI! I'm doin it...

13. wrench409

wrench409
    Member Emeritus
    from Here

I think I need a hammer and dolly to make this work:

Attached Files:

14. Weasel

Weasel

Well putting non SBC valve covers on a SBC sure beats the hell out of those fake Garlits injector air cleaners - they look like a strap-on on a dyke....

[​IMG]

15. Weasel

Weasel

Front mount distributor - that a Summers Bros kit? Seems like a hell of a lot of work to look like a dork....

16. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Now that is one 350 that isn't boring. My best friend had a brand new one. The coolest Camero of all, by far, 70 Rs Z28. But the power the make isn't even the point, it's that they are a belly button engine in hotrods. I just can't see the logic in laboring to build a unique rod only to use the least unique engine you can choose. Then try to put lipstick on a pig by using fake Hemi, Ardun, Flathead, Olds.. whatever.. valve covers.

17. historynw

historynw

I agree I was planning on them in raw metal painted black with a chevy scroll painted on.

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

What I just dont understand is if the collective "you" that everyone talks about so much is really "doing what they like" when they put a sbc in thier car, why are they trying to make said chevies look like something other than a chevy. One would think if they were really "doing what they like" they would be PROUD to have a sbc in thier car. But I guess we ALL (even the guys doing it) know the answer to that. Whole thing smells like bullshit to me...

19. David Chandler

David Chandler

Actually I've got a chrome piece from an old lawn tractor that may go on there. It say's Simplicity.

20. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Say someone was to put a desoto grill in a mercury, would the mercury be considered a desoto poser?

21. Jade

Jade

Um... yeah we do know the answer to that. It's you that's confused.

Some guys use different valve covers on their SBC for the same reason some guys use Batwing caddy air cleaners on their non-caddy engines... because they're cool. Olds valve covers are cool, they're different, and they work. What more reason do you need to use them? This has NOTHING to do with not being happy with running a Chevy engine. It has EVERYTHING to do with style, art, modification, and making it different than how it came from the factory.

Why this is so difficult for some to understand makes me rethink my assumption that most car guys have at least half a brain.

BTW... I have a real FLATHEAD powered ride sitting in my garage right now, and I don't have olds covers on any chevies, but I'm not enough of a cretin to think that the guys who do are posers of some sort.

Hot Rods, + Rules = LAME

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I tried to make the 351 in my 55 sunliner look like a Y block by putting the original valve cover stickers on some 289 valve covers along with a original air cleaner gutted and converted to paper element and painting it up like one but the front mounted distributor gave it away but it fooled a couple people,I run it like that for a few years but put shiney parts on it for now and building a Y block to put back in it so i wont have to fake it.

23. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

That engine sucks!!

24. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

worst thing i have ever seen was chrysler spitfire valve covers on a chevy

25. That is too funny but VERY TRUE.

26. 22rdstrguy

22rdstrguy

Aw come on now we all know they go well with dummy blowers! :rolleyes:

27. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Dont get me wrong i love a good chevy, but why try to make it look like an olds, when a 283 in normal dress is so sexy, that said, i think an olds is a real powerhouse, and i'd build one for a digger if i had the choice between the 2, the olds has so much more CI potential and there aint no replacement for displacement

28. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Thats like a pre op tranny man....

29. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

This is a very common viewpoint and it is also completely off base. Not taking a shot at you, just the whole idea that changing valve covers is trying to fool someone. You like Mr. Gasket chrome covers? Like the blank stockers? Me neither!
    The vast majority of valve covers are swapped because they are more appealing, not to hide anythining. The Olds covers kick ass because they have such a cool way of managing the plug wires. I run the Stude covers because I wanted a more vintage look and the stock wrinkle finish stuff is dog ugly.
    If you have ever changed an air cleaner, timing cover, grill bars, whatever, you were restyling your car. It makes no sense to me why so many people think that a sbc is a badge of dishonor.

I'll also quote a very respected person in the world of traditional hotrods: " the legendary big three motors - the Ford Flathead, the Small Block Chevrolet, and the Chrysler Hemi." Looks to me like all this fuss is just hating.

Now I'm gonna quote myself (my wife says I'm an ego maniac, I really just don't want to repeat myself)

"Late model small chevys are no less traditional than those designed in 1953 for the 1955 model year. They were snagged for use in hot rods right away for their superior power output of the day and happen to have become the most popular engine ever used for a reason. .... Flatheads and hemis are cool, but not practical for my intended use. I fully expect to drive this to work one day and to the track the next. Inexpensive, reliable power is my objective. A sbc is a tried and true way to get that.
    If you are so narrow minded that you can only take a pot shot ..., crawl back in your hole. I've been around long enough that I don't have a thin skin, but the less than constructive posts have been out of control lately. If this isn't your thing, move on.

When I finish my humble project, I'll be glad to show my humility to all comers. If you think I'm cookie cutter, you haven't looked very closely at what I do.

For those with the kind words. It's much appreciated.
    For the critics, What do you have to contribute? "

30. deerchooper

deerchooper

it all depends how the hambwagon judges your concept/ whats cool to you.

i think some ppl cant see a sbc from a mile away and need to look at the valve cover to see what it is. then when they say its an olds mill and there buddy looks at them like a retard and tell them how fucking dumb they are for not knowing what a sbc looks like they get mad and pout all day because there a retard.

god forbid someone puts 2 mail boxes on there ride for valve covers, that retard isnt going to say anything, lol.

i feel its not the script on the valve cover that ppl like, its the lines, design and coolness on the valve cover itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.