Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds valve covers on a Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Straightpipes, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade

Jade

People bitching about other's choice of valvecovers... Yet another reason I rarely venture far away from the cars for sale forum.

Run whatever covers you like, and if someone calls you a poser, do what any non panty waste, busybody, knitting circle, REAL car guy would do, and tell em to "fuck off".

2. Same question here. I'm an SBC guy and can't for the world think of a reason I would want an Olds to look like a chevy, or even a chevy to look like an olds for that matter.

3. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Your right...You should just be quiet and go back to the for sale forums.

4. Has anyone ever seen the fake Hemi valve covers for a SBC? I thought I'd puke when I saw a set...

5. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Yea it must be a chevy thing. Ashamed of what is in the car, try to make it look like something interesting.

6. To my way of thinking if indeed you are a hot rodder and not just a street rodder with steel wheels it is no big deal to change an engine. If you don't like it with a Chevy or a Ford or whatever it came with pull it and put what you like in it.

Now I'm not a poser per say but sometimes in the right company I get my tape measure out to make sure that my cuffs are exactly 3". I'm still not sure what pomade to use so if I know that I'm going to be around trad '50s guys I just don't wash my hair for a few days.

Now I am aware that some one here are not to quick on the draw so let me explain my last comments. When you try to dress your engine to look like a different engine it is posing just the same as when you dress to look a part that you really don't fit into just to get the approval of the other posers dressing that way.

7. Jade

Jade

Fuck off.:D

8. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

I may be a poser as well. I went to the gas station the other day in my 28 Model A sedan and was asked what year my "DUNE BUGGY" was. I did not even know I was posing as a dune buggy. In fact in Georgia we really do not have too many dunes?

Oh well. I guess if it had Olds Valve covers, he would have known better?

9. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I am going to build some adapters to run chevy script sbc covers on my 260 Ford. Just to set the global karma back in balance.

10. Tha's too funny. :D:D:D

I can now go to the basement in the proper state of mind.

11. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I made a pair for my Packard engine, I took the script off two 235 sixes and welded them to my no-name Hudson valve covers, unfortunately I lost one of them.

12. Speaking of posers, what about all the guys putting finned "Corvette" valve covers on their run-of the-mill smallblocks! (I would love a set for my 327! :D)

13. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

I'm gonna bolt some old aluminum flathead ford heads on my sbc just to fool everybody.

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I don't understand the reasoning for trying to make a smallblock Chevy look like something else. If you want an Olds or Caddy, then get one. Quit dressing your pig in your kid's clothes. Everybody knows it's a pig.
    I'm glad to have my 327 Chevy, and don't care if you can tell what it is.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

saw a nice A roadster with an SBC. the whole car was dark blue.... I'm thinking the motor was as well. the only non dark blue things on the motor were the non chevy valve covers and the 3 carbs on an odd adapter on a stock intake.

didn't bother me one bit. I've taken pics of it at 2 events. you people are all a bit weird.

...as for the boring small block Chevy comment, come back with me to 1982 and take a ride in my 1970 Z/28. people who say SBC's are boring are the biggest posers of all.

16. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

:d:d:d:d:d

17. joe_padavano

joe_padavano

Be careful what you wish for:

[​IMG]

18. 26 roadster

26 roadster

please someone shoot this thread! another chocolate or vanilla post, it could go on for ever.

19. I agree 100%. Personally, I would rather see Olds valve covers on a SBC than some of the other horrific shit I've seen at car shows lately.

It's just valve covers. Move on folks, nothing to see here.......

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I like vanilla with Hersheys chocolate poured on.

mmmmmm, ice cream.

21. Or how about some fake Ardun heads on your sbc...
    fakeardun.JPG

22. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

My thoughts too. Another group of posers are those with Thunderbird covers on a regular Y-block. We need more laws to stop the travesty.

Now for clarification, is it ok for me to put '53 Caddy disks on my Merc and can I leave the Merc steering wheel in my Model A? We need a committee to set the rules on this. I never thought there was so much to consider to stay traditionally correct.

Neal

p.s. I wrote a comment for this thread this morning but after writing it I felt it could hurt the feeling of a few here so I dumped it. The kind version would be, "how does it really matter?"

23. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

ummm, that's not a small block chevy...

24. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

All you Haters... Do none of you just like the look of one thing better than another and change it? Who here still has a stock air cleaner?

Fucking posers! If you wanna be real, put all the stock parts back on it! Yea, right.

Now for your hating pleasure, here's my '65 studebaker mill.... or is it?

[​IMG]

How-to here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332670

25. Umm, straw berry, I like the little seeds that crunch when you eat it.

I know that some of the fellas don't really get the debate. There is a real difference from what was done traditionally and what some of the street rodders do to try and look traditional.

If someone has so little self respect as to buy something and try and pass it off as something else that's fine with me. There are probably a thousand other rods within a mile or so that I can look at. Never the less someone asked for an opinion, I have more opinions than bung holes at the super bowl, can ya smell what I'm tryin' to say?

Oh Scotty I really hate your engine. I thought it was a packard anyway. ;)

26. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

If you put Chevy valve covers on that blue oval be real careful until you get used to the power increase ;););)

Thats funny right there

Kinda like built Ford tough with Chevy stuff

27. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I am failing to understand the comments on the concept of "traditional" rods. It seems small block chevies aren`t considered trad but when everyone got sick of busting flatheads it became very normal to stick a SBC in whatever they were driving due to availability and great power options. I have 283 small blocks circa 1957-62 powering a couple of my Fords.
    I for one have no problem driving up in one of my Model A`s with a reliable , inexpensive and extremely traditional Chevy motor. Maybe I need to just hang out in the for sale section too. Might help keep my blood pressure down. Wanna see my Lincoln covers everybody wants?
    At least I`m driving mine....

Attached Files:

28. CruiserUser

CruiserUser

That's really slick, suprising that the holes lined up even.

I'm still having trouble figuring it out as well since I've always thought the spirit was taking what you had and improving it while having fun. I mean I get era correct style stuff but just building a rod in general has always been about making something you like to me, I've never done anything just to fit in with anyone else's views. Personally I like poncho mills but I don't have a problem with any given motor if that's what the owner likes.

29. Huh...

30. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

one of the tenets of hotrodding is to do what YOU like and screw the rest. If there's going to be a trend toward what goes on at Corvette Club shows...count me out - BTDT GTS (got the scars). "hey...your upper hose clamp is not oriented at two o'clock like they came from the factory"

we MODIFY our cars...we MODIFY the things we install on our cars...we try to NOT pass judgement on other traditional cars. Save your rancor and enmity for the billet boys and the checkbook charlies who can't even tell you what kind of engine they have (uh...a really BIG one...yeah...that's it...the biggest)

dj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.