Register now to get rid of these ads!

WHY do people insist on hiding car parts on CARS?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Jan 13, 2011.

1. pipty6

pipty6
    from Tracy

Drive a custom, who cares whats under the hood. As long as it looks good. Low and slow, So they can check out the paint.

2. burnout2614

burnout2614

My huge leaking m/c and crappy wiring is a distraction from any billet that may, or may not, be on my eng!!!! peace

3. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

Less is more. The cleaner and simpler the better. But saying that there is a certain point were it gets a little overboard. There's nothing wrong with putting stuff out of the way as long as you can still get to or service it without taking the body off the frame.

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Because most car guys are lemmings?

5. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Sometimes things are hidden from the factory.Studebaker mounted the master cylinder to the frame with a hole in the floor to check the fluid level..When I see one on the firewall it sticks out like a herpes boil.

6. 1320/150

1320/150

I hate seeing batteries in the engine compartment!!

Some station wagons,trunkless cars excluded(still think there is probably a place to hide a battery safely in any car!!!)

7. "If you don't like my battery, don't look at it". Just kidding

8. 38standard

38standard
    from il.

If it's a driver I can overlook some things , but if it's a trailer queen it should be perfect.

9. flamed34

flamed34

If it's a trailer queen, it can stay on the trailer. I don't want to look at it!:D

10. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

The "wire tuck" is all the rage in the import community right now. They run the wires in the wheel wells, instead of the engine compartment. I see these "customized" cars showing up cheap in a few years with a ton of electrical gremlins. I do not understand why you would make cuts to a factory harness (just asking for problems) and then run the wire in a spot were they are more likely to corrode and cause problems!

11. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i ran the wires down low around the oil pan rail,also filled all the holes not used and smoothed the firewall wanted it to look clean.left the M/C in place.

12. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

The group of rodders who trophy hunt follow the trends. Hidden stuff and the smooth look is what the pro shops are putting out. Rodders with the skill just copy that trend to compete with the pro built cars. Believe me, if Chip Foose or Roy Brizio came out with a car that had see through valve covers or wooden spoke wheels, you can bet your last can of oil, it would be duplicated in no time by the trophy hunters....Now, with that said, nothing wrong with that I guess.

Myself, and a lot of other guys build our cars to please ourselves, if a compliment or award comes our way, we appreciate it and feel good. But, that is not why we build them, we drive em and if we need to change the oil or check brake fluid, chase a short, we know where to go and usually just pop the hood to do it.

13. Old Heap

Old Heap

I use bulk cable for my battery needs and cut them to the length needed. I use bulk spark plug wire that cut to size and try and arrange them neatly. 3/8" brake line keeps the sensor wires, water, oil pressure, off the intake. I don't get too carried away but don't want folks looking at a mess either. Under the dash wires get a few zip ties to keep them in place and out of the way.

As far as other components, M/C, heater etc, I leave them where the factory did.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  14. Why does there need to be blame when it is personal choice.
    Just an excuse to stick it to Boyd I think.:eek:

15. millersgarage

millersgarage

neatness counts.

hide the ugly, enhance the pretty.

I do get what your saying, like the mastercylinders sideways under the dash--I never really understood that. But put it under the floor, and make a nice smooth firewall, always.

16. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

Its a matter of opinion I personally think a bunch of exposed wires loost like shit makes a car look like it was just thrown together...master cylinders its easy enough to put under the floor....if I'm going to put 700 hours or more into a car I'm going to make sure its 100% perfect....my 36 I'm going as far and getting the. 100% correct factory look bolts...thick head no markings in the correct finishes...its all a matter of opinion....I want it to look a certain way and certain period look ie year specific

17. choptvan

choptvan

IMO it is cuz anyone can throw parts at a car. It takes skill, and special attention to detail to do it very clean and orderly. A certain patience that some do not have. This sort of attention shows that detail and often lands jobs. Cuz if you are dedicated enough to hide wires, you are most likely dedicated to finish the weld or body work or what have you. Again, IMO. This is how I look at it.

18. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Yellow Plug Wires make me PUKE !

19. HA!HA! Now that's the ticket.

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'd guess people hide things just because they like to. I like mine easy to service, but I can appreciate the time and effort it takes to conceal everything. Not fun when I have to access it, but it is an art.

21. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

You run wire's through a 3/8 brake line? got any pics of that? I don't think I've seen that before.

22. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I'm building my rpu with the engine as clean as possible. Pusher electric fan, frame mounted alternator. I am trying to find no hole finned valve covers so i don't have oil fill caps cluttering them up. My master cylinder will be behind the seat because that's the easiest place to put it. I like the wiring clean and tidy, but also like things easy to get at. I see no reason to get at the harness though. The back of the dash, yeah, I want to get at that easy.

23. Old Heap

Old Heap

yes and a pain in the ass it is! I fish the wire in the tube before I do any bending. I'll get some pics this weekend, dark out now, dark before work, dark after work. :mad:

24. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

Cool... and I don't know why, but that makes more sense than hiding the bottom of your engine compartment with a pan

25. cavemag

cavemag

I like exposed components. I'am however ocd about wiring.

26. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

I don't mind batteries in the engine compartment as much a batteries with those cheap ass fifty cent cable ends. The ones that have the clamp that mashes the cable wires to make the connection. I have seen some high dollar cars with those. Cripes!

27. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Why "hide" (shave) door handles, or antennas? Why hide taillights is the bumper? Why hide a stereo behind the dash? Why hide wiring under the carpet? Why, why,why, why?

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No one needs an excuse to stick it to Boyd...

29. Troyz

Troyz

simple & serviceable is always my goal. speaking ill of the dead is a crass, & not in the punkrock sense.

30. 39 Ford

39 Ford

My car has no crap on the firewall, with only the throttle cable sticking out. After years of junk bolted, screwed and otherwise attached to the firewall I filled over 40 holes and ran the wiring out thru the bottom of the firewall.

MY CAR, MY MONEY, MY WAY