Register now to get rid of these ads!

Identifing 4 speed shifters?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lazlobassett, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Digging around the shop I seem to have lots of shifters, mostly hurst ones, anyone know how to identify them? I see many of the factory shifters are pretty popular and it would be nice to be able to ID what all I have. Thanks ! Matt

2. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

A guy named Pete Cerrio wrote a book about hurst shifters a few years ago it gives lots of info about them and tells how to identify them.

You can find it on ebay and probably other places online as well. It's a good book, worth buying.

3. 73RR

73RR

There is alot of talent right here on the Hamb, I'll bet that with a few photos you'll have id's on most of them.

4. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Throw some pix out....

5. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Hurst shifters should have the part # stamped in them. I've got an older catolog some where and I'm sure there are others on here that do as well.

6. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

B and M now owns Hurst, they can cross reference the part numbers for you

7. Root66

Root66
    from Norcal

In most cases the 4-digit number stamped in the Reverse (longest) lever identifies the Hurst application.

8. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Well Here are the first two. One I think is 66 or 67 chevellle? ( 2nd pic), No Numbers, names marks at all. The first one I dont know, says Hurst 1090531c stamped on face, 6356 on end and 7036 on lever.The shift rods are all about the same lenght so if it's GM then something with a Saganaw 4spd?

Attached Files:

9. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

but they probably wont. they have the least helpful tech support line i've ever encountered and everybody i know who has called or e-mailed has recieved the same answer.. "we don't make those anymore and we can't help you".

10. Deuces

Deuces

Well, that f**kin' sucks!! :mad: When did this happen??? :mad:

11. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Heres an '82 Hurst Cat. will check your numbers later. The rubber mounted shifter I would think is a factory application.....................

Attached Files:

12. 26 roadster

26 roadster

2nd picture is stock GM muncie shifter

13. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

1st is Mopar A Body (Dart Duster, etc) 1969-1975 with 833 4 speed transmission.

2nd is 1964-1967 GM 4 speed shifter. Without the linkage, I can' tell you if it is for Muncie, T10, or Saginaw (linkage pictured with it is incorrect). Handle is Bench seat mid 1960's Chevelle. I know my shifters, e-mail me with more pics and I will narrow them down for you. [email protected]

-Matt

14. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Thanks Matt! I think I have a few of those although the patent numbers and levers are different. I'll get anothe one cleaned up and pic over to you w numbers. There are 4 more in that box they are clearly aftermarket, including a MR. GASKET ratcheting 4 speed shifter and the ultra rare and coveted, are you ready for this??/ The SPARKOMATIC 3 spd! If that cold be any cheeeper I'm not sure how, well perhaps with todays technology & China manufacturing anything is possible... I have another box that I can't get to easily which has a bunch in it. I'll get with you on them. Thanks again!

Matt