Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Falconred

Falconred

Too many old tracks lost to the mercy of politicans and greed.

Lakewood in Atlanta, one mile dirt. Nashville fairgrounds, 1/2 mile asphalt

Who is that on the flag stand???

2. bumpnrun

bumpnrun

great shots......thanks

I see Joe Ruttman, Donnie Allison.....do you know the other drivers??

Is that Wilksboro?

3. 2nd Back Car

2nd Back Car

This is Don Brady of Sioux Falls, SD. The Baracuda was run in 1971 and 72 with over 30 feature wins. The Headhunters car ran in 1973 and 74. I will be getting the Baracuda in the spring for resto and to race in Wisconsin and South Dakota some times with Don driving. All I need is to put the motor together, a trans, new seat and harness. Every thing is else is there, down to the headers.

4. sickboy713

sickboy713
    from oildale

5. txtom

txtom

That car in the middle looks like the same team that supplied a car to Bill Elliott in the 80's at the Snowball Derby. Team was Sims-Harwell or Simpson-Harwell, something like that. car #81.
    For the record, Elliott competed in the '81 and '82 Derbies and finished 34th and 32nd, respectively. I don't remember if he drove the Sims/Harwell car in both of them.

6. Racewriter

Racewriter

Looks like Rockingham. 98 Johnny Rutherford, 6 Joe Ruttman, 12 Donnie Allison, 16 David Pearson, 67 Buddy Arrington. Not sure about the 57.

7. hoosierheel

hoosierheel

The #57 Performer Boats/Cobra car could be Bill Elswick, if the information on Wikipedia is anywhere near accurate.

8. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

chuckles0 - are these a couple of your dad's cars ? I probably have many others. Which other numbers did he use / which other drivers drove for him ?
    vegas-oldtimer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Aw, dang it, Indy. Bad, Sad News about Chick. I half expected it though - Mickey has kind of hinted at it on the Dayton Speedway Lives Website. I was at Dayton the night of the BIG FIRE. I never thought Chick would get out alive, nonetheless recover and run another fifty years or so. Everybody knew Chick. Forever, it seems. He's the only person I know that Tony Stewart gave a "Lifetime Pass" to, to get into Eldora Speedway. All of racing will miss him.

Vegas_Oldtimer

10. L Jaobson

L Jaobson
    from Rockford

11. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Falconred, you hit one for me. That's yours truly on the flagstand, doing practice and qualifying at Nashville. Put the goggles on because I had been hit with a couple of rocks early in the session. I had on a new pair of glasses, having had my old ones broken by a similar incident at Winchester a couple of weeks before. Thanks for the new photo for my collection.

Vegas, as I said I was also truly saddened.

BTW, although the politicians seem to have the upper hand, the fight for the Nashville fairgrounds is not over yet.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  12. Falconred

Falconred

Believe that is Atlanta. These are from the same show.

13. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

While we're talking about tracks no longer around, I'd like to add the "old" Atlanta track. Changing that from a pure oval to its current configuration was a mistake, in my opinion. There are too few ovals left.

I recall our first visit there with ASA, and after I got in the flagstand, Rex Robbins radioed, "What's it look like, Potts." I told him it was like Salem with a thyroid problem.

14. Falconred

Falconred

I believe you are right, it is Simpson not Sims. The car was driven by several folks over the years. Max's regular driver in earlier times was Buck Simmons when they ran at Dixie on asphalt and other tracks around on dirt. Max put several different drivers in the car at Ga Int. Bill drove it there as did Buck, Butch Lindley and Earnhardt. By the way on the night shown, Dale backed it into the fourth turn wall and damaged the fuel cell. They took a fuel cell out of Jody Ridley's trailer where he kept extra fuel and mounted it in Max's car and Dale won the race.
    Here's Buck and Butch Lindley.

15. Falconred

Falconred

I believe you are right, it is Simpson not Sims. The car was driven by several folks over the years. Max's regular driver in earlier times was Buck Simmons when they ran at Dixie on asphalt and other tracks around on dirt. Max put several different drivers in the car at Ga Int. Bill drove it there as did Buck, Butch Lindley and Earnhardt. By the way on the night shown, Dale backed it into the fourth turn wall and damaged the fuel cell. They took a fuel cell out of Jody Ridley's trailer where he kept extra fuel and mounted it in Max's car and Dale won the race.
    Here's Buck and Butch Lindley.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  16. Falconred

Falconred

Was that the race where Balough hit the wall in turn 1? Did you all run in conjunction with the trucks??

17. mazda1949

mazda1949

That # 97 Mustang is David Jones at Anderson Speedway. David owns Superior Hydraulics on the Belton Anderson Hwy

18. mazda1949

mazda1949

That # 97 Mustang is David Jones at Anderson Speedway. David owns Superior Hydraulics on the Belton Anderson Hwy

19. Sport Coupe 62

Sport Coupe 62

does anyone have a picture of the team car to the GOne that Ed Howe drove. It was identical to his but I believe the number was GoIng

20. 2nd Back Car

2nd Back Car

21. Sport Coupe 62

Sport Coupe 62

How about a color picture of the #1 in post 4104.. I run around with Ralph ODay's son in law and want to build a modle of it.. Thanks

22. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Falconred, I remember Butch Miller hitting the wall in Turn 1 during qualifying on our first trip there. We were with CART that time. I was impressed because Pancho and a group of CART drivers came over to see how he was. He was OK.

We did run once with the trucks at Atlanta. I remember one of those guys hitting the wall coming off Turn 4 and debris flying so high it was ridiculous. I looked up and a huge piece was like a mortar shell, headed for the flagstand. It missed. When all the stuff stopped falling, I looked over at the pit wall and saw two hands reach over, then one of our guys pulled himself up slowly and said, "Has it stopped yet?"

23. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Sport Coupe 62, I had to dig for it, but I found it. Tom Maier drove that car, and it was GoIng, and the second of the two Howe Green Hornets. This photo was taken at Berlin in 1973, I believe.

[​IMG]

24. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

As a young "broke" photographer, I only used Black & White film because I could buy it for about fifteen cents a roll, if I bulk-loaded it in my own darkroom, from a hundred foot roll. Never did color, until I had a real job. However, this car is easy to remember. Red. All red, with white trim. The wheels were silver, I believe. Also, I have another Ralph O'Day # 1 car from earlier - it's a'65 or '66 full size Ford. I'll look for it and post it here.

The Oldtimer

25. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

Awesome pics from the midwest late 60's & 70's...Trickle ,Shear, Kulwicki, Nesbitt, Refner, Sauter, Schill, Howe, Miller,the list goes on and on!......Dirt and asphalt!...Some of the best lettering jobs came out of the Illinois area!!!! Reminds me of the good old days! Keep em coming!!!

26. Sport Coupe 62

Sport Coupe 62

Thanks as I said my father was photographer at Columbus, Salt Creek Valley (Circleville) and Southern Ohio.. As soon as I get my scanner working I will start posting some

27. The photos in this post are already plenty big. Bigger than they need to be for web display at least. When you click on the thumbnails they open up bigger in the same window. Click on that image and it will open even bigger in a new window. Click on that image and it will open to 100% and display larger than any monitor can show completely without scrolling the page up and own and side to side. :(

If you want them to appear larger in the actual forum page, don't make them any bigger than maybe 800x600 pixels. Otherwise you'll break the forum frames and you'll end up having to scroll from side to side. Also, lots of large images really slows down the page loading, especially for folks who still have dial-up or slower internet connections. :D

If you're using Windows, move your cursor over a picture and then RIGHT click. On the menu that opens, left click on "Properties". This will give you the image's pixel dimensions so you can get an idea what size you need. Computers are kind of stupid when it comes to inches, all they really care about is pixels. ;)

28. Sparks75

Sparks75
    from Troy, Ohio

A few pictures of Chick Hale

29. greenfieldkid

greenfieldkid

Here'e some from the Western Pennsylvania area. 43 on trailer is the great Ohio driver Bob James in the infield at Heidelberg. The 38 is Buddy O'Connor, 1954 and 1966 Pittsburgh racing Assn. champ. The other four are from Heidelberg after it was paved.

30. Falconred

Falconred

I remember watching them make a pit stop with the trucks, it took two men to lift the jack over the wall. There was a lot of tire chunking going on. Very little inb the way of roll bars on most of them.

CART
    Racing stuff, more racing stuff, more racing stuff, in case you didn't notice in the first one, Mario was there.