Register now to get rid of these ads!

oz floods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thamesvan, Jan 11, 2011.

1. The hamb is such an international medium,what better place to wish our Ozzy hotrod cousins best of luck in there time of grief.Get snippets of it on the news it don't look good :(

2. Yeah, I've been following the news too,looks like Brisbane's getting it now.

Stay dry and safe folks......

3. 76cam

76cam

Yea good luck to them it looks really bad seen pic yesterday...

4. 36 Airstream

36 Airstream

Thanks guys.
    Many people are doing it tuff.
    My work is cut off and looks like the worst is not over yet.It is very weird as I am at home with the sun shining yet not far away the water just keeps rising.
    The only positive is that I get the next 5 days playing in my shed.
    My thoughts go out to all the families not so lucky.

5. Docco

Docco
    from Ippy

I'm cut off from my work place now. It looks as though all the welders we put up high will probably go under, i guess we won't know until the flood water goes down. I'm just glad i don't live near there and am sitting high and dry.
    If anyone needs help now or in the coming days just let me know.

6. hudson48

hudson48

Here is a link to another thread with some links to variuous news items and other videos.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=549354

This looks like exceeding the 1974 flood levels in Brisbane.The area that had the tsunami flash flood(Toowoomba and Lockyer Valley) has a lot of hot rodders and other car enthusiasts.I hope we don't hear of too many losses.

Here is another link showing a boat on a pontoon crashing into a bridge on the Brisbane River.Click on the red headline bar

http://ninemsn.com.au/?ocid=iehp

7. been reading and seeing the pics...aint pretty...hope all HAMBers down - is it Queensland?...are dry and safe from those nasty floods...

8. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Reporter said crocs are getting into houses due to high water levels, a flooded house must be bad but crocs in your house, the stuff of nightmatres. Good luck guys

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Closer to Brisbane sharks swimming up river into flooded areas are a problem as well, just cant win!

10. Snakes are worse. Some guys in boats had snakes coming from all over trying to get in. Unfortunately most of our snakes are deadly, and these are pissed off snakes.
    My other info is in the other thread.

11. Like this one[​IMG]
    Glad to hear your ok Tony. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

12. Hang on TOny - hope all your stuff escapes damage and that you guys are OK.....

Keep us posted, my best wishes to all of you up there !!

Rat

13. John in Oz

John in Oz

The river is supposed to peak tomorrow morning at 4.00 a.m lucky it wasn't a full moon because the real King tide was just before New Years but the city is a mess and the deaths are bad enough let alone the missing people, very sad indeed, I used to live in Toowoomba and knew one of the guys the interviewed who has been building a rod since forever. A mate at Gatton has had one of his sheds go under with a 55 Buick he has started working on and he has damage to that because it is right next to the creek there. I'll have to go up on the weekend and give them a hand to clean up.

14. Lucky3

Lucky3

Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys up in the flood zones.

Keep the faith Bro's !!

15. paintcan54

paintcan54

Will keep everybody in our prays.

16. i was watching the news and it's unbelievable, and all those animals that want to be your pets. my best to all of you

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

We are all praying for you guys even though you might not know it until you get your power back on.

18. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Ohmigod, what a freakin' mess. Flooding is the worst, but snakes, crocs AND sharks make this almost surreal!

I'm thinking about my Aussie mate Robyn right now. She is a real car person and amongst her collection she has a cherry '57 T'bird. Well, she got a notion that she wanted a new style T,bird (2002-2005) to add to her stable so last year I found her a beauty right here in Rochester, of all places. She bought the car and she and her friend Peter came over to get it. They drove it all over the US and then put it on a container in Long Beach bound for Oz. The plan, once there, was to have the car taken up to somewhere in Queensland to have it converted to right-hand drive. Yep, you guessed it, last I heard it was on its way there and might, in fact, be there. I'm waiting for news that it is okay. Damn, what a friggin' mess.

I'll be saying my prayers that better days are on tomorrow's horizon for all of my Aussie mates...

19. hudson48

hudson48

Our worst fears have been realised.Although the river level is lower than the 1974 floods the devastation seems worse since Brisbane is a more densley populated city than it was 37 years ago_Over 15,000 homes and businesses have been flooded with water up to the eaves in many cases.

Iconic structures like the floating walkway to New Farm and the Drift Restaurant( ironic name) have broken away and floated down the river
    along with pontoons,boats,houses etc.

We are looking at many months of cleanup and many businesses will not survive the financial impact as many did not have flood insurance.

The worst hit area was Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley.Thirteen dead and the toll is expected to exceed 40 with many children included in the
    numbers.

Many stories,videos and pictures here on our news website.

http://ninemsn.com.au/

20. Neo Dutch

Neo Dutch
    from OZ

Dunno if any sharks will be able to swim against the 5 knot current.

Peaked last night 3ft lower than expected, and lower than '74. Expected King Tide didn't happen either, so that was good.

My uncle had a tractor go half under in central QLD. Went to check on it and there was a very angry Brown Snake in the cab. It got in somehow, but couldn't find it's way out.

21. I am right now and I will be always prayin for ya mate.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011