Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Welded spindle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pie pie, Jan 11, 2011.

1. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

I just discovered as I was putting the Galaxie back together that the passenger side spindle had been welded on where the bearings ride. What kind of potential problems may I gave besides bearing noise?

2. No pics so I'm going to have to assume here.

If the spindle had been welded professionally and then machined (like they do when stroking a crank) then I don't think you would be able to see that it was welded ... so I am going to assume that the weld looks kinda rough. My question would be "why was the spindle welded" in the first place? Was it cracked or severely worn and they wanted to buildup an area?

Too many "if's" for me here. I'd be leery of using it. I guess you could take it some where and have it tested (magnaflux, x-ray etc) but it might just be easier to replace with a good one.

I'd replace, even if it's just for the piece of mind knowing all is well.

3. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

If the part is steel it might(depending on the material and how it was welded) be ok. If it is malleable/ductile iron(as many modern spindles now are) that material cannot be safely/strongly welded by ordinary methods, and the part will have been significanty weakened. Since we are lacking some important info, I agree with the suggestion to find a replacement. A broken spindle is not something you want.

4. Just find another one.

5. I wouldn't take a chance with it.What you don't know CAN hurt you....Just replace it!

6. bbtom30

bbtom30
    from so. cal

There shouldn't be any bearing noise,because the bearing doesn't spin on the spindle.That's probably why that was done.To build up the surface where a bearing had spun.If it is a HAMB appropriate Galaxie that spindle is forged.

7. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

You shouldn't have any noise cause of that weld unless the bearing itself is spinning on the spindle, which it shouldn't be.

The inner part of the bearing should sit on the spindle, and the outside of the bearing should spin against the inside of the hub.

I'd check again to see where your noise is coming from, and I'd start looking for a new spindle just for piece of mind.

8. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

It is a 63. And it is tward the outer bearing. I just put new bearings and havnt had a chance to drive it yet. It was welded and ground down. It visually looks ok but I'm not sure. I would get a different spindle but I may gave trouble finding one.

9. pcterm2

pcterm2

be safe -get another GOOD spindle-only way to be sure

10. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

I will start to search for one but may try to run it the way it is for now.

11. williebill

williebill

How long have you had the car?How much have you driven it,if at all?Who/when was it welded? There's a guy in Middle Tennessee who had,a couple of years ago,a shitload of these cars.I bought a rear end from him,good guy. He is,or was on here,didn't post much that I saw,but think his name was Under1981.com...If you can't find him,PM me and I'll get you his phone number..
    I don't know much,but think I'd use your spindle only for rolling the car around the garage

12. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

^^^^what he said. finding a garbage part on your car always sucks, esp when it makes your car immobile. it would be a shame to wad your car up or injure you/anyone over a questionable part.

13. I wouldnt run it. It can not be that hard to find a good used spindle for that car. Beats the hell out of dieing if it breaks!!!

14. chubbie

chubbie

no such thing as bearing noise, other than the grinding sound just before the wheel passes you up!:D

15. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

Have not had the car a month. I drove it like 2 miles for the insurance company and it was growling so I decoded to check it out. Went through the brakes and cut coils and power steering and upon reasembly I discovered it. Trying to get it ready forfeiting tome. Came from down south and I'll be nice and just say they do things a little different.

16. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One on eBay with a" buy it now". Not sure if it is the correct side.
    Item number: 390182708807

17. AssGasket

AssGasket

Vehicular Manslaughter......

18. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

thanks ill check it out. i also have a salvage yard close to my house with a few cars i will check next week.

19. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

Found one at the local yard. It's off a 64. Should have it later this week

20. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

[​IMG]

It really looks alot worse in person. That's what I just took off

21. williebill

williebill

Don't blame that on the South....

22. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

somebody lost a hub while moving....

23. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

Yea I'm glad I changed it before I drove it, seems kind of dangerous.

24. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

:eek:That's a lot worse than I imagined when I suggested you replace it.:eek:

25. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

The more I look at it just makes me glad I didn't wait. Wonder why they didn't replace it

26. GabbyT

GabbyT

Same here. Had the truck for one week. Took off the wheels and found BOTH front spindles welded and tie-rod shortened. Previous owner probably didn't give a rip as he was a farmer and used it only for throwing hay out the back on his farm. Geez, and I drove the thing on the freeway at 55 for about 2-1.2 hours from Placerville to home. Wish I could do the work myself, but at my age and bad back, will have to pay the young ones to get it back in shape. Sucks..:mad:

27. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

Yea it's just hard to believe what some people will do.

28. dadseh

dadseh

so did we get the new brake MC working OK??

29. I've replaced a few spindles that looked better than that. Almost every '64 Ford I've owned came missing the grease cap and had a shot outer bearing.

Best to find a way to cut it up so it doesn't get used by someone else.

Bob

30. mj40's

mj40's

I think the HAMB just saved your life or someone else’s. But then again you were concerned enough to ask.