Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dropping a '54 mercury

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JackHammer Speed Shop, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Any pointers in lowering the front of a 1954 Mercury..ie any springs that would fit..Aerostar???
    Thanks for looking
    Miles

2. Mildsteel

Mildsteel
    from VALE N.C.

Fat man fab in charlotte n.c. He sells lowered spindles.

3. Mildsteel

Mildsteel
    from VALE N.C.

Fatman fab in charlotte n.c. Hehas lowered spindles

4. look in the 52-56 ford social group. there is a few threads in there about dropping and using aerostar springs.
    I would recomend aerostar spring and jamco makes leaf springs and you can tell them how much of a drop you want but i think its only up to a 4 inch drop. somethin to look into.
    Just make sure your exhaust pipes can clear your rear axle before you drop it in the rear! that was my mistake.

5. U-235

U-235

I used a kit from Gearheads in ND...it was a disc brake conversion...!" dropped spindle and shorter springs....I also fabricated a 1" lowering block for the A-arms....it only gave me about 5/8" clearance between the A-arm and the spring after the snubber was cut....It was a very jarring ride to California...when I got back I removed the shorter spring and lowering block and cut the original coils about 3/4" of a ring (I think)....Now I have about 1 1/2" inches clearance, no bottoming out, and a nice smooth ride (not choppy like usual with cut coils)....In the back I used 2" lowering blocks and a shortened rear end (to get the wheels off) with no bottoming problems even with abults in the back seat....

6. sunvalley54

sunvalley54
    Alliance Vendor

7. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

I used a kit i found on ebay which consisted of a set of aluminum blocks that spaced the lower spring bucket down. Kinda a pain to install but lowered about 2 inches up front with stock spring rate

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I had the Aerostar coils in my '52 at one time and they worked but in the end I went back to stock coils with 1.5 coils cut off and it rode great and looked even better.

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I could have used a larger tire I think but that's all behind me now as I don't own the car anymore.

[​IMG]

10. Aerostars in the front 3" blocks in the back

lots more pics in my prifile album
    [​IMG]

11. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

I know this is a very old post but how and how much did you lower the rear ?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app