Register now to get rid of these ads!

Galaxie Gassers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by a bomb, Dec 26, 2010.

1. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I remember an article on that car. didn't some rich heir like a DuPont or someone own it?

2. Muttley

Muttley

It was owned by tobacco heir Zachary Reynolds of R.J. Reynolds Tobacco.

3. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

The car is called the Tobacco King. Like Muttely said it was owned by R.J. Reynolds heir Zach Reynolds. The current owner is Eddie Krusch who put it up for auction a couple of years ago. He had a change of heart during the auction and ended up being the high bidder.

4. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

If anyone else is interested in the Reynolds Galaxy, this site has a couple videos of the car. If the Turbonique wasn't enough, check out the Latham blower setup on the 427.

http://www.zachreynolds.com/#

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Not to hijack, but I wonder where that Dunstall Norton is now! Man, must have been nice to be a multi millionare in the sixties...

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Pretty sure this is the car from Hollywood Knights.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      114.3 KB
      Views:
  7. a bomb

a bomb
    from up north

Ya this car looks good, I can dig it. My car is the one in the avatar, I will post some pics. I like the slightly higher than stock in the front, kinda reverse rake. Tha old 60's s/s look.

8. Love these cars. Here's mine from it's psychedelic days in the mid 60s( before I owned it) and again in the early to mid 90s after I restored it. It was a factory 390/401hp. Sold it 14 years ago to build another project:(. The '62 was a 406/405hp, which I owned twice in the 60s. The second time I bought it, I paid $250.00 for it!

Attached Files:

9. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Man, that car is schwing worthy!! Love the 427's More pics?

10. Not sure this came outa my Gasser/Street Freak file

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

SWEET! Back in the eighties, I was lurking around in Burnaby, spotted a green '63 notchback with aluminum slots on it parked on a side street, went over to take a closer look, 406 flags and a stick. Wonder where that car is now.

12. There were still a lot of these cars sitting around in the '80s. A friend bought a '63 427/ 410hp, 4-speed, fast-back Galaxy in the '80s for $400.00, which was a steal even back then.It needed a lot, but it was complete and he had it running within several hours of getting it home.He still has it.
    It was a one-owner car and sat outside in view of a heavily-traveled highway. Many people would stop, but the owner chased them away. Timing was right the day my friend stopped.

13. a bomb

a bomb
    from up north

427/4 spd for $400, now thats an investment..lol! Back when I was 16 and was looking for my first car i found a 62 406/4spd black with dog dish caps. Beautiful red interior, even had a switch under the dash that would disconnect the power to the brake lights, for out running the cops. it was an old runners car. It was $8000 which was alot for that time, and alot when you're 16 and only job is at the local KFC. :)

14. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Juat because you can stick a straight axle on something doesn't mean you should. If you are going to race it, I'd go a/fx or factory lightweight.

If it's going to be a street car, paint it up nice, and lower it down on a set of supremes with pinner whitewalls.

my 2 cents....

15. a bomb

a bomb
    from up north

Factory light weight is how its set up now, it only has ever seen track duty. I was just more curious to see if anyone had any pics of any, just to see what it would look like. I agree with most of the posts, I don't think the long body style really lends itself to the jacked up gasser look. I just picked up a 57 pontiac that i just bagged, for my street car.

16. I had a '63 boxtop in the 90's, I'll have to see if I have any pics saved. I think nose up, no straight axle would look cool.

17. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about a full size picture of it as it looks today? Looks great in your sig.

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think even a box top would be more suited to the axle treatment than a '63 1/2.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Tin can, finally checked your profile, I am diggin your slantback fairlane!

20. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Thanks man, appreciated.

I really want to see some pics of a bomb's Galaxie. I had red '63 Box Top I sold a few years ago... Damn it all!

21. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

falcongeorge, can you tell me what issue this was in? I think there was also a 56 Ford with an FE and slots in the same issue.

Coming of age in the mid 70s, I'm a sucker for the wide slots front and rear look (and yes, I know that it isn't necessarily hamb-friendly) and remember this car well.

Thanks

22. Yeah that should work..........

23. paynedwp

paynedwp
    from Dallas

and I was starting to feel bad about this....

Attached Files:

24. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22myUvB3S9o Jay's FE book to be out in a couple of weeks.This is from Drag Week 09'.Other vid's as you will see too.SOHC with C4 and overdrive.Sorry about no straight axle and that but it is Hilborn injected converted to EFI.

25. a bomb

a bomb
    from up north

Sorry it took so long, and sorry for the shitty pics, but I looked everywhere and i can't find any other pics of my car. Must of lost them some how when I got my new lap top.
    090.jpg

087.jpg

101.jpg

BHoover likes this.
  26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats right. I think i have already put it back, I will see if I can find it again.

Ha! My slovenlyness pays dividends yet again! Its still on the dining room table! August 1980 PHR.

27. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Coming soon to a H.A.M.B. near you.....one badass straight axle 64 galaxy gasser!!!!!!

28. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

29. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you!

30. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

The Evil Twin has only changes that can be reversed, as it's an original paint 406-6V car, presently has a 427, C6 w/4000 converter, and 5.14 gears- jumps pretty good, and guaranteed to make kids in Camaros cry ;)
    Right now it has it's display wheels on, black steelies with Stahl drag fronts and vintage 11.00 Blue Streak Dragway Specials, 7-leave springs and vintage Traction Master shocks. Inner fenderwells are out, and has Hookers that wrap around the frame and slip together with 3" straight-thru truck resonators :p
    The Croozer Twin is the piewagon :D Both are XL's
    I have engine parts in the two '63's

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]