Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 59 chevy wagon in progress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cody Walls, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Thanks again everybody for the compliments , it realy means a lot .mazadaslam i highly doubht the wagon will be finished by the showdown , im pushing for the jalopyrama , but we'll see , theres still so much to do and get , and i dont even want to think about the chrome bill . but well see

2. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

so heres what i got done today
    extended the gas pedal 4 inches
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and then i started on the break setup and linkage
    i know it might look a little crude but it pretty tight under the dash and trying to work my way around everything and its not finished yet .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Goodness gracious!! That thing is beautiful!! I definitely haven't been lurking hard enough because I just found this thread.

When I was looking for my first classic project to build back during high school, a '59 Chevy or 50's wagon was really close to the top of my list, but my dad found me a Model A for cheap, so I grabbed that. Your longroof is making me think I need to go back to looking for one after I finish my A.

You definitely have great taste and some great mods! I like the Moon Eyes gas pedal reworked that way, very unique. What are your plans for the dashboard, maybe center console if you're planning on one? Seat material? Any mods that we should be looking towards to?

Your work is top quality! Thanks for sharing your progress with us, and keep up the beautiful work.

4. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

Subscribed!! Bitchin!

5. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

With the interior , deff no center console, stock bench seats and floor shift , the dash well ill put it this way its going to be like the rest of the car , it going to get a couple of mods that i havent seen aney one else do to a 59-60 dash yet , but its not going to be over board. 59-60 dash's look too good to modify too much ,, you guys will all have to wait and see , the seat material , i wish i had the money to have a full custom interior but i dont , so im thinking of the tri tone impala material but not 100% shure yet , the door panal are not going stock but its going to be very simple , :D

6. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Sounds good! How about one little teeny tiny hint: will we be seeing ribs in the interior somewhere? I'm liking the ribbed treatment on the hood and bumper. You've also restrained from overusing it as well, so it's relatively simple. Very tasteful.

I'll be waiting for the update!

7. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Na no more ribs that i can think of , with the dash the hint is there will be no more pot metal pieces on it , some things are gitting moved around, some things are getting deleted ( no not the speaker grill getting filled in , i have another plan for that ) and its not getting completly smoothed out ither .:D

8. dirtydirty63

dirtydirty63

subscribed!!! great work! keep the pics. comming!

9. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Ok guys im going to go back to the beginning . I know it's a little backwords ,sorry but i just found my old pics and i fugared i'de let everyone see how bad the wagon actually was .I found it on the web at a classic salavage yard ,I bought the car sight unseen from casper wyoming , and had it transported to my door step over 6 years ago . [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

<TABLE cellPadding=6 width=600><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  10. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

some more
    <TABLE cellPadding=6 width=600><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

and more
    i cut the body mounts loose and channled it 2 inches
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

the start of the hood hinges which were trunk hinges

<TABLE cellPadding=6 width=600><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

<TABLE cellPadding=6 width=600><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>l 95381efde5ec47e395dea4ad108e5de5</TD></TR><TR><TD class=smallfont align=left>Edit Picture
    Add to Group
    Report Picture

Picture Added Today 11:08 PM
    Added by WOODPECKER </TD></TR><TR><TD class=smallfont align=middle>
    Picture URL
    <INPUT style="WIDTH: 400px" dir=ltr class=bginput onfocus=this.select() value=http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=5056&pictureid=255708 readOnly size=30>
    BB Code
    <INPUT style="WIDTH: 400px" dir=ltr class=bginput onfocus=this.select() value=[​IMG] readOnly size=30>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

14. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

from casper wy.to being dropped off curb side, she sure has come a long way !! your work is top notch ,banging tin and an eye for that look at your age you have a bright future ,the fad paint sounds cool !! showdown bound "mud" ?

15. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

16. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

so here is what i worked on today .
    fugared that i wanted to move some of the gages around
    [​IMG]
    im just going to run the center gage and put the gas and oil gage pod in the area where the speaker grill is and have it mechnically pop up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i havent fill in the area where the other gages are yet but u get the point , i still have to put the clutch mastercyclinder and finnish up the break setup under the dash
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here i have the inner structor in slicksand so i can paint the inner seprate from the shell , its just togther right now because i have to get my rad cap and notch the inner structure
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. mt94ss

mt94ss

I love this project!!!! Thanks for the pics.

Later,

Mike

18. Elwood331

Elwood331

I found your project a few days ago and was amazed at your fab skills and attention to detail so I subscribed. I also told my Pops and he subscribed as well. We can't wait to see this wagon progress!

19. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Looks good! I don't know about the gauges popping through the dash, but you do have some very creative ideas which I like, and you're the most likely to make it work. This is definitely one of the better custom builds I've seen on here.

I'm sure the first person that said "I'm going to chop the top on my Deuce coupe." had some very serious doubtful followers. Even then, 79 years later, people are still chopping the top of their Deuces (as well as everything else).

So, I have faith in you. Keep up the good work!

20. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Thanks everyone again , texasspeed
    the nice thing about the gages popping through the speaker grill is i can hide them aney time i want its going to pretty much work like a cowl vent , i just didnt want to throw a set of mismatched gages under the dash ,and i just wanted to run the speedo in plain sight , so the best of both worlds :D

21. The red 'Mothers Wax' 59 Sed Del, has the stereo head unit, pivot up like that. I seen it at SEMA. I like the idea!

22. Runt Rodder

Runt Rodder
    from Virginia

Killer wagon! and dam fine fab skills to.

23. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Definitely understandable. I can't wait to see the finished product, but at the same time, I particularly enjoy the build photos. You've got very good metal-working skills! It looks like you use a TIG? That must be the secret to all the good sheet metal work here on the HAMB.

I need to get me a TIG. My MIG certainly doesn't make it any easier for me. Lol.

24. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Thanks jay , its seem like when i think i'm the first to come up with something theres always some one else that has done it first , kinda the same about my the colors of the wagon , i went and bought the paint for the wagon and come to fine out yesterday when i was searching the web that there is a 59 wagon in england that has been done for years and is the same colors as im going to paint mine :mad:, so ill change it up a little bit but i already bought the paint and continue to stick to the over all plan , do u know if the flip up head unit was electrical or machanical oprated ?

25. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

I cant wait to see it finished too , its been an on-going project for the last 5 years , thank u and everyone else on the compliments about my metal work , and yes tig is the the big key ,ive been doing metalwork for about 10 years now and ive welded with mig, tig, and gas, and tig is the way to go , i sold my mig about a year ago and i havent picked one up since and dont plan too ither , i got so tired of setting shit on fire , or gitting slag on nice sutff and also there is no way of realy working the metal after it gets welded without the chance of it crackin with the mig on sheetmetal , im shure there are a lot of guys out there that say thay can, but i find for me its all around a much easyer to tig everything . i dont tack and cool or weld and inch and quench it with a wet rag , i get my gaps perfect ,tack every inch hammer the two peices together and then start welding from one end to the other without stoping ,

26. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Thanks and yes it has come a long way , im shure hoping it will be finished and at the showdown next year, ( but im not shure about the mud:eek:) but then again ive been saying that for the last 4 years so we'll see .

27. killbilly

killbilly

In 1970 my dad bought a house on 4 acres in Coopertown,Tenn, There was a 3 car garege croncrete block garage behind the house with one end wall kind of collapsing The old man he bought it from said theres an old car in the garage,you guys can have it..My 2 brothers and I slide open the garage door....a pea green 1959 chevy station wagon..283 powerglide...speedo showed just a little over 10,000 on it.We put a battery in it poured some gas in a d started it up...drove it and found out why it was parked...trans wouldn't shift .Being dumass"s we yanked the 283 out and I'm sure my dad had it hauled off !Hindsight is truely 20/20!

28. falfas55

falfas55

Good work. Top notch in my book. Can't wait to it finished. FALFA

29. I wish I knew if it was power or mechanically operated. The windows were up, and not a person around. It did have leather around the side, kinda like a folding boot. Been soo long ago.. but it was cool

30. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

So more progress today
    [​IMG]
    Since I needed another place to put the other two Gages and I don't smoke I fugared why not put them in there and have it flip down
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also finished up but break pedal assambly
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And last but not least I started on some of the hood latch Mock-up
    [​IMG]