Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just got a 55 Bird, have a couple of questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A Rodder, Dec 31, 2010.

1. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Of course I like it!!! That's a later top 56 or57. 55's didn't have portholes. But you probably knew that. Or someone added them. Color is good too.

2. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

btw, there is a Thunderbird owners group on here and if that thang still has a yblock in it, you'll wan to check out www.y-blocksforever.com.

3. A Rodder

A Rodder

Correct on the top. It is running the 292 3 speed still. This is the fourth y block car I've had and it absolutely flies. It still has the funky og Carb on it.

4. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

Congrats on the car, they are a fun roadster. Your new wheels look great!

I also cut coils on my '56. The wheels and tires I run now are 7" up front, 4.75" b/s and a 225/50-17, 8" wide rear, 5.25" b/s and a 245/45-17. The fit is nice, might would lean for a fraction more b/s in the rear. The car has a Granada front disk conversion and a stock rearend. The picture tries to show the setting of wheels with relation to car body.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  5. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

AndrewTX, your car looks great with those wheels. I have seen it posed before somewhere but I can't remember if I asked-what brand of wheels are those?

6. Harris

Harris

^^^ and how about a side shot?

7. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

X2 what wheel make? side shots and hell, everything shots! '55 T-Bird is my all time favorite car. And it's not black!

8. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

I love the wheels Andrew has on his.

I couldn't help myself but to play with this picture! I don't have a 'Bird, but have always liked them.

Attached Files:

9. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Congrats on getting a Bird! Here is my Fathers 55. The wheels are '55 mainline.
    [​IMG]

10. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

That Bird looks RAD!! I like how it sits personally. One of my dads friends had one exactly like yours in the late 60s, it had a 435hp tripower 427 BB chevy in it. the only thing different about it from yours was that it had red line tires on it, totally 60s!

11. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

^^^ WTF it didnt copy your thumbnail :(

12. I REALLY like the wheel change. It kinda goes from "Antique Car" to Muscle car hot rod look. Its amazing how much of an impact wheels can have.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh yea, NOW yer talking!

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I wouldn't lower it if it were mine, sits just right already.

15. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

Thanks guys, glad you like. Wheels are PS Engineering. Pics are here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485190

16. A Rodder

A Rodder

I actually had the Front rub when turning and hitting a dip. So I reluctantly ordered the same size tire in a 60 series. That should lower it enough in itself to where I don't need to lower it by means of suspension mods.

Thanks for all the compliments. In addition I just learned of the telescopic column. I kind of thought that was more of an early 60's design. So that makes for this 6 footer, an easier driving and clutch shifting car

17. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

On telescoping column… Just make dang sure the cinch nut on the clamp at the steeringbox is tight!. If it's not you can accidentlly pull it all the way out.

18. A Rodder

A Rodder

I'll double check that

19. For us 6' ers that drive birds, column pushed all the way in, only way it works for me.

20. A Rodder

A Rodder

I kind need it opposite, pulled all the way out. With it in, there is no room for my legs to move when need to shift. Still a small car though.

I checked the nut and all looks good, however, a couple times I pulled it out the horn went off. I assume i "pulled" on the ground for the horn. Funny thing is the horn doesn't work via the horn ring.

21. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

on the horn: the original lead that runs up the column, it's braided insulation and at this age is often starting to break down, hence the short. You can get the original replacement from most of the tbird parts houses. You also might check into the turn signal switch while you're in there. Is that still 6v?

22. They used to peddle ball joint spacers. I'm not sure anyone makes them any more but perhaps someone has some.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  23. A Rodder

A Rodder

I'll look into the wire in the column.
    I really am liking the car. I traded a car for this one. The offer came to me as I wasn't really ever looking for one. But it is really great car.

24. thesupersized

thesupersized

im going to be honest, i have not read anything on this post, and this is probably not relevant, but i'm going to say-

chrome reverse with white walls

58 lincoln headlights look good, so does 59 chevy, both 55 and 56 olds, headlights look good too

edsel wagon taillights are always good

build a custom thunderbird.

25. A Rodder

A Rodder

^^^^^^ I've never seen a 55 thru 57 custom bird that i liked. I think i will stick with the hot rod/sports car look.

26. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great looking car. I am doing a mechanical rebuild on my Dad's 57 T-bird. I have added 4 wheel disc brakes and will be upgrading to a 15" wheel for rotor clearance and for better wheel/tire choice. We are looking at the repo K-H wires in 15". They are $$ (and not my choice) - but my Dad wants to keep the look stock and has always wanted a TBird with the factory wires.

I am currently looking for a rack & pinion for the car. The Flaming river unit is nice - but not sure it is worth the $$.

Here is a quick photo of the car when I hauled it home - It had sat for 15 years or so. Looks good, but it is completely worn out and needs a full mechanical rebuild.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

As I have aged :) I have really learned to like that color. Willow green, I think it's called. I used to hate it but it pretty unique for that car. I'd keep it, It's cool.
    Also have to say those KH wires will look awesome on it to. Give it what it needs.
    On the R&P, IMHO I am not a fan. I know I'll get flack for saying it, but the cars are what they are… 50's technology. They drive very well as is.. here's a pic of my '57. My 55 is more the little hotrod.

[​IMG]

28. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How much coil did you cut ? I have new coils to put in mine and don't want to have to pull them over and over to get it 'right'

29. Maybe this one will change your mind, it's a beauty
    [​IMG]

30. nope!