Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

[​IMG]

Davidson County Sheriff’s Patrol unit, a 1950 Pontiac Silver Streak, in front of the Parthenon

[​IMG]

Patrolman Arthur M. Lashlee, left, and his partner stand with their 1949 Ford patrol unit

[​IMG]

Highway Patrolman Leon Miller soon after he joined the Highway Patrol in 1949 with patrol unit 42

[​IMG]

Memphis police began using radar units for traffic control on March 20, 1953. The radar unit was set on a tripod

[​IMG]

Chief Hubert O. Kemp, Patrolman Newtie Barnes, Mrs. Mildred Strubie and Traffic Officer Fred Cobb.

[​IMG]

Inspector Mickey McGuire patrols a snowy country lane beside woodland pond in the winter of 1959

http://www.tennesseelawman.com/3-cars

2. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

3. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

4. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

That sure looks like a Goulding Rocket sidecar in post 19314
    James Goulding began making them for Harleys and Indians in Australia, then moved to the USA and kept making them here.
    I have one

5. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

[​IMG]

Camden Motorcycle Sporting Club

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Camden Courier-Post - July 31, 1948
    THREE MEMBERS OF CAMDEN TRAFFIC squad are shown on new motorcycle mounts which went into service this week. Left to right are Patrolmen Martin Nelson, Frank Wilmot, and Thomas Carr in front of City Hall. Seven of the new $800 vehicles were delivered to the department on Wednesday, Capt. Nathan Petit, squad commander, announced.

[​IMG]

http://www.dvrbs.com/camden/CamdenNJ-MotorcyclesInCamden.htm

6. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

7. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

8. starwalker

starwalker

I worked at the Grand Canyon in a gift shop this last summer. We had those for sale, the main difference being the colors of the viewmaster. I think I sold one in two months.

9. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Split shifts sucked because we had to go to work Twice in One Day plus you couldnt get anything done on your car that day.
    I worked as a long distance operator the last four years before they stopped having operators in every town.
    Directory assistance was NOT long distance. Entirely different job.
    I can tell you for a fact that there nothing more boring than listening in on someone elses conversation.
    On the plus side the phone company hired 4 new girls every two weeks!
    If you dont like this batch, just wait 2 weeks. Good times. We were paid $80 a week and that was very good pay in 1973. The reason for the turnover was because the girls found out they could make $80 in two days, dancing in the bars. The girls had No thought of retiring after 30 years at the phone company with good pay and benefits, All they could think of was $80 NOW!

10. starwalker

starwalker

I just posted about that. I was gone by then, back to my school. Did you get them at Yavapai Gift Shop?

11. starwalker

starwalker

And it so much easier with digital cameras now. No taking film to the lab to be developed. Back up those pictures though.

12. Fiatdude

Fiatdude
    from SoCal

One of those 270's MH was lein sold from one of the older storage lots about 3 months back --- It was still tight, they sure built them like tanks -- Mama said I couldn't keep it even if it did follow me home.

13. swi66

swi66

I'm a big fan of Meat Loaf.
    He did a "storytellers" show at Shea's in Buffalo a few years ago.
    He would take questions from the audience, and then would perform a song based on the question. According to him, only in Buffalo did someone ask him to tell a story behind that song. He is one of the few people who can actually sing that song as the lyrics come so fast.
    He performed it in Buffalo during that show.

I've been a fan of Rocky Horror for years, back in college we saw it during our film series. Saw a travelling stage show of it. And been to several of the midnight showings where the audience participates.
    Even dressed as "Eddie" for one showing, and the wife dressed as Dr. Frank.
    It was a halloween show and we went with another couple who were supposed to dress up, but didn't. After the Show we went to the Anchor Bar (home of the chicken wing) for wings. Though it was halloween night, it was jazz night, and we were the only ones there dressed up.
    Me with the bloody scar on the forehead and the biker outfit, and my wife in her bustier and stockings. We were starred at!

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like a good night. They used to have the audience participation shows down in Sydney and I managed to get to a few of them.
    I never dressed up, except for when I was a Transalvanian in the production.

I'm kinda surprised that there are other fans of the movie here on the HAMB, even more surprised that you guys are so willing to say it out loud too. Sadly there is still a stigma associated with the movie.

Now back to your scheduled program......
    [​IMG]

Does anyone know anything about this car? The un-sprung weight would be a killer!

Doc.

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Rio Grande Southern Galloping Goose #5, a "motor" or motor car. Combination passenger and baggage / mail. Pierce Arrow based. Gary

[​IMG]

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just thinking, could this be one of the power plants from that dual (Front and rear) engined 34(?) Pickup that ran at Bonneville in the early years?
    I tried to find a pic but I couldn't, sorry guys.

Doc.

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, awesome article! Thank you for the quick reply. I guess going in a straight line on a smooth surface the un-sprung weight wouldn't be such an issue?

[​IMG]

SO, now can anyone identify the twin engined 34(Ish), may be earlier but no earlier than 30. It was a HighBoy with a 32 grille, full hood and no rear bed just the rear motor in the open. It was a flathead from the pic I have seen.
    It was two toned with the break between colors running diagonally up the doors from the bottom of the cowl up to the belt line behind the doors. Light color on top and a dark color below.
    Only ever seen B&W pics so I don't know what the colors were.
    Memory may be a little rusty but I'm kinda sure thats right!

Thanks,

Doc.

19. MisteR Tee

MisteR Tee

20. South_paw

South_paw
    from America

If you're going to crash.....

[​IMG]

21. South_paw

South_paw
    from America

22. South_paw

South_paw
    from America

23. South_paw

South_paw
    from America

24. South_paw

South_paw
    from America

25. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Grahame, I'm glad you found this. I NEVER knew that the later
    versions could play REGULAR 45s! The earlier ones turned at
    (I think) about 16.5 RPMs and, so, took specific disks supplied
    by the company -- meaning you were stuck with a finite selection.
    It appears that the later version, then, would have let you play
    ANYTHING that came on a standard 45-RPM record. Given this
    revelation, I am NOW surprised this gizmo didn't stay around a
    few more years. Awesome find, MrFire.

(We do have a HAMBer who's quite versed about the early version,
    has some working ones AND ALL of the original discs. Not even Jay
    Leno has such a collection.)

[​IMG]

http://www.twitteringmachines.com/wp...08/indash6.jpg

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/A...Way/invent.htm

(Oh, and as for any "stigma" about "Rocky Horror," do you suppose
    it could have anything to do with all the singing, dancing, transvestite
    vampires and ghouls??? LOL. Heck, it was just for fun and, undoubtedly,
    aimed at upsetting the straight-laced conservative crowd.)

26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

That would be the Kenz Lesile truck. Pretty sure it was red/white like their streamliner. Do a search here and on the web and you will probably turn up a color pic.

[​IMG]

27. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rootie, once again you come through, You the man!! Thank you.
    Now I have a name it will be much easier, I searched for a good hour and didn't find a single pic earlier.
    If these are coming out of your own mag collection you must have a spectacular selection!!
    Once again, Thank you.

Doc.

28. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Actually I sold my collection a few years ago so now the guy that owns the full set of Highway HIFI records is In PA and may not be a HAMBr?

They actually made several versions of the 45rpm player but the RCA Victor AP1 was the most common (but still rare) The AP1 would load upside down with the needle on the bottom of the record and when it finished the record the needle would move out of the way and the played record would drop to the bottom of the player and the next record in the stack would be played.

29. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

30. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I may be wrong, but I don't think rain interfered with the 1949 race and it wasn't flagged. Bill Holland won it. It was 1950 when, as the story goes, the crew found a problem with the engine on race morning and after discussing it with Parsons, decided to go for the lap money as long as the engine lasted. It rained and the race was flagged with him in the lead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.