Register now to get rid of these ads!

'30 Tudor dragrod....my latest build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kardude67, Jan 6, 2011.

1. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

I just chopped this thing a month ago. My first attempt at chopping. I designed and built the chassis. I am stuffing a Dart block 491, a reverse turbo 400 with a brake, and a 12 bolt with a 3.42 spool into it. I bent up a 12 point cage for support (and to save my ass). Again, my first attempt. It gets a Mopar box under the dash for cowl steering. Should be a hoot to drive. I plan to run it at the HAMB deal at MoKan, and at the Lead Sleds Nats in Salina, Ks.
    It will be a street driven rod.

Attached Files:

2. captmullette

captmullette

i like it, what kinda power, keep up the pics......

3. Wow- you've got skills!

Tell us more about the chassis. What ET are you shooting for?

BTW, those are some serious looking rearends :rolleyes: on the rack in the background.

4. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

Thanks, Guys. A fellow HAMBer sold me this body a few months ago, so I yanked the stroked 454 (491) out of my Nova. I was just breaking driveline parts with it anyway. I built my prototype for this chassis design last year under a '41 Chevy rat rod truck. I start with a Dodge A-100 front axle, and cut the springs in half. I use half in front and half in back. I fab my own friction shocks, as well as the frame itself. Usually, I use the same setup front and rear, but I had this 12 bolt with a ladder bar setup laying around, so I modified my frame to accept it and some QA1 coilovers. I want a bullet-proof and safe car with this much motor. As far as ETs go, I'm just looking to go run some heads-up races with my buds. The quick change rears in the pics are for the next builds. I'll be posting them soon.

5. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

Here are a couple more pics

Attached Files:

6. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

More pics

Attached Files:

7. SteadyT

SteadyT

Not a big fan of the stretched out front end look, but it will serve a great purpose running through the traps at a very high speed. Great work.

8. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

I am not the best at posting, so bear with me.

Attached Files:

9. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

I was trying to marry the look of an old rail job with a traditional rod. And, yes, the wheelbase will come in handy. MoKan can be a handful. Thanks for the input.

10. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

Wait 'til you see how I fill the roof. I think it will be a big hit. I must confess that I own a CNC precision sheet metal fab shop, and I can create some pretty wicked parts. I still have to dream them up, though. Check out the '39 GMC I built last year. I started with a cab and chassis. I built the rest.

Attached Files:

11. hotrodjohnny

hotrodjohnny
    from colorado

Way cool build!!!!! here's a pic of my '28 Essex I am building that i am going to do some drag racing with and planning on taking it to Bonneville Def going to keep track of your thread.. Once again Way cool

[​IMG]

12. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

Love the Weber look. My '33 has a Kinsler EFI Dragonclaw on it, and the next build will have a cross ram with Weber 45s on it. I also dig the fact that you are building something non-traditional. I'll keep checking on you.

13. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

That's pushin' it.

14. hotrodjohnny

hotrodjohnny
    from colorado

sweet... My intake is an Inglese with 4 Weber 48 IDF's... motor is a 360ci sbc , 13.5 com, brodix heads, full roller backed by a WC T5 5spd (for now).. I'm realliy diggin your car nice to see someone else buildin a sedan that is built to run!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  15. 94hoghead

94hoghead

16. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

Landseaandair................pushin' it????? Please explain.

17. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Mostly the last part of the quote, and the cars shown are a bit on the OT side for this particular board. I do like the tow truck a lot.

18. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

Ok, you still lost me. OT? Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't know what that means.

19. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

I did some research and found that it means off topic. Is that right? Let me get this straight.....I build hot rods with parts I have at my disposal. I design them from images in my head of what I think a hot rod should look like. I build them with a passion that I have had since I was a kid. Someone else compliments my work, and I tell them that I like the fact that they are building an Essex instead of the usual cars. This is somehow offending someone? This is why these forums are such a waste of time. I tried to share with fellow builders, but the Forum Gods have spoken.

20. Hey Kardude, your cars are awesome! Don't let one persons comment turn you off to this site. If everybody built the same basic car this hobby would be boring! When I go to shows or cruises, I check out all kinds of builds and innovation and technical skill are what interests me! You seem to have that in spades!

21. captmullette

captmullette

get back on the titanic, ITS A DRAGROD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Forum God? Far from it, and I'm not trying to put you down. You've obviously got gobs of talent, it's just that this is primarily a, cliche as it sounds "traditional" rod site and their are a bazillion other "rod" sites you could post the other stuff on. The OT comment was more style than anything, kind of like comparing Catharine Hepburn to Kat Von D. Maybe the differences are subtle to you but your comment that I quoted makes me wonder. Your tow truck build probably would have been a big hit on here and if you just hang out a while you'd see what flies and what don't, took me a few years to get the balls just to sign up. This place has mellowed out considerably though and if nobody stuck their finger in the dyke every now and then, this place would go to hell pretty fast JMHO.

Don't go away mad, this place is pretty awesome at times.

23. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Nothing like that, and he's free to build anything he likes. I'm also sure their all very well built and engineered, just all the cars posted seemed contradictory in style to what this forum is about.

24. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

The car isn't even close to being done. It will be painted, pinstriped, and upholstered. I don't think that I need to go to KillBillet or some tattoo site to share ideas and opinions on Hot Rods. I am not mad. I am surprised more than anything that ANYONE who likes Hot Rods would be so seemingly judgmental. Maybe you should restore Deusenbergs.

25. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Just to clarify, it had nothing to do with it being unfinished. As far as being specific, more had to do with the drawn out look, front suspension, ralleys, drag radials and the lineup of cars succeeding it (not just yours) topped by "I also dig the fact that you are building something non-traditional"! That's just not what's done here...sorry.

26. YocumBros.

YocumBros.
    from Raleigh NC

nice, this is my type of car

27. Bad Luck Engineering

Bad Luck Engineering

Very nice start!! I've got a chopped '30 sedan body that might look pretty good on a drag style frame. Thanks for adding to the idea bank.

28. I dig it and it fits here

29. Racrdad

Racrdad

I am not a fan of the stretched out frontend but overall I I dig it. Especially the big horsepower part! You definately have skills so keep on keepin on and keep us updated with progress pics. Would like to see more!

30. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

Hey guys,
    Thanks for the compliments, but landseaandair has single-handedly discouraged me from sharing my dreams with others on this or any other forum. It blows me away that I am repeatedly being told that my cars don't belong here. I posted pics so that, like myself, others might get a few ideas here and there. I thought that was what rodding was all about . I enjoy building cars and letting my creative juices flow. I don't need to be looked down upon by some self appointed expert who thinks that anything other than a cookie cutter hot rod is inappropriate for this forum.