Register now to get rid of these ads!

Launch of the 1932 Ford...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 6, 2011.

1. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

2. BStoltz

BStoltz

what a helluva test track!!!!

3. Hehehehe... fingers typing faster than my brain was working, which is really sad considering how slow I type! :D

4. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Since Chevy had a Six, Ford wanted to do better than match them- He wanted to beat them. The V8 was considered a motor configuration for more expensive cars.
    And how! 1932 motors were hampered with block casting issues (single unit casting was very difficult), overheating, oil burning and seizing. By 1933 most issues were worked out, and the 4 cylinder B motor was phased out after 1934.
    Henry for was overly practical to the point of being stubborn. He really believed Hydraulic brakes weren't reliable. Same thing with the transverse leaf suspension- He thought that it was strong, reliable, and that it worked just fine with less moving parts to break!

5. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

"

Hey Jive-Bomber,
    Thanks for your response and for starting this thread. Learn sumpin' new every day...
    I have heard that Henry was very cheap, I mean "thrifty":), and was not fond of change for it's own sake, resisting the annual model change for a long time, despite G.M. and other competitors.
    I read somewhere that he liked the buggy spring because of it's simplicity but also because it enabled him to get by with a lighter (cheaper) frame because it was designed to let the axle pivot in the center, resulting in lower stresses on the outside corners of the frame. The buggy spring does work really well on a light weight car, as many of us can still testify. The V-8 engine for the common man wasn't a bad idea either!

6. Henry Ford could be described as "single minded" to the extreme! Once he got an idea in his head, such as the new V-8 engine, he pursued the idea to the end, almost putting the entire Ford Motor Company and its dealer network out of business in 1932. In fact, many dealers were actively recruited by other makes to sell their cars because Ford didn't have any new cars to sell for almost six months! Henry's refusal to upgrade the line from the Model T to the Model A for years gave his rivals the sales lead and although the Model A was very successful it still didn't turn the tide. One thing that stands out about Henry's philosophy is his insistance in building the highest quality product possible and controlling the manufacturing process from the iron ore to the finished product. Fords advancements in metallurgy and manufacturing techniques were unequaled by almost any other company at that time and the incredible number of those cars that still exist today is a testament to that fact. While watching these films I am in awe of the timeless beauty of Edsel's styling of every body style. The "giveaway" three window deluxe coupe is just simply stunning!

7. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

If any of you fellas have never been to the Henry Ford Museum up in Dearborn Michagan then you need to go. Really worth the trip. The whole family will enjoy it and us car guys will be in heaven. I went several years ago, ten or so and man I was taken away by what I saw. Plus I love history espeacially American history and there's so much of that there too. It isn't all cars but really about America and how we became who we are. Truely a great trip. My love for cars comes through history and how they changed our daily lives. We went from the farm to the factory in almost an instant and alot of people don't realize how much cars changed that. Anyway if you ever get a chance you need to go.

8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful, thanks!!

9. I love the Videos and History. I did some research on FORD last year for a speech I gave in my speech class for my last semester of college. I don't care what anyone says about ol Henry. The man was genius as quoted by several people who worked closely with him. Sure he was a stubborn man, how many of us are not? and how many of us, do EXACTLY what he did, Beat a damn good working idea to death, until we can no longer get what we want from it? Hell even after more than 75 years, look at us, still taking his ideas and marvelous machines and making them better. Even bringing a bigger and better flathead back to the market( be it is expensive as hell, but with out the original Flathead V8, who would want to build a new bigger better one?) The River Rogue facility is just amazing, I truly wish I could go back in time just to see all of this. The fact that FORD bought up trucking and shipping companies, iron ore companies and facilities because no one could supply his need and demand for high quality products in the quantity he needed and wanted is simply insane, BUT to control your dream and your lively hood it had to be done. His insight into The Automobile and Manufacturing process has thrust America into great times.

I could ramble on and on, but WOW is still all I can say. I am a HUGE FORD fanatic and proudly Wear FORD inked into my skin. Most manufacturers then and now all had a place for their particular vehicle, but Ford brought it to the common man, allowing them to move forward in life as well.

10. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

11. 32INXS

32INXS
    from Missouri

I have loved the 32 Ford since I was a kid and I still think it is one of the most beaautiful cars built in its time. The flathead V8 was and is a fine running piece of machinery. It is hard to believe that they will be 80 years old in 2012, and still look better than a lot of stuff tht is made today.

12. moefuzz

moefuzz

Henry made sure his engineers beat the sheesh out of it before they would offer it to the customer.

And then our great grandads beat the sheet out of them before handing them down to the grandkids (what a bad idea)

I Think ole Henry would be proud that he made Us wait

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eQQHTwXFRP4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. agutto13

agutto13

this is some great footage!

14. Another great video! I wonder if any of those cars still survive in our hands today? How could anyone want anything other than a Ford V-8 after watching that! They were the first factory Hot Rods!