Register now to get rid of these ads!

wiring kit for a hotrod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobo, Jan 6, 2011.

1. bobo

bobo
    from New Jersey

Has anyone had any experience with American Autowire Highway 15 or 22 wiring kits? They are located close to me in South Jersey.They say made in american and claim to have great tech support. My first total wire job so I may need some help. Good or bad comments appreciated.

2. 8-Track

8-Track

I have purchased one on e bay and saved a hundred off of retail, I have not installed it yet but it is a real nice kit, WELL THOUGHT OUT.

3. rodknocker

rodknocker

4. Try Rebel wire
    Same or better quality @ 1/2 the price.
    Made in the USA

5. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Actually they're on different ends of the spectrum. That AA highway kit is amazing. If you want to replace everything qwith american made parts including switches and it has connectors and step by step instructions.

Rebel wire has no connectors or switches or fancy install books.

Thay said, rw tech support was first rate for a kit at this pricepoint.

Its not fair to rw to compare a 175 kit to a 400+ kit

6. I have a Rebel kit. It's good if you want to your own switches, etc... ( as Johnny1290 said!)

7. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

I've use Ron Francis, a little pricey, but everything is included, and you only run the circuts you need. Makes for a real nice loom, as there are no extraneous wire coming from the fuse box. The one in my 41 ford has been in since 1999 with no problems whatsover. Their tech service is real time and they are very hopeful. Good luck.

8. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Perosonally Kwik Wire for this guy

9. big bad john

big bad john

......Ditto.......Great product and great tech support.....

10. indyjps

indyjps

Looked into wiring for some time for my off topic musclecar. Im buying American Autowire.

Theyre a sponsor on pro-touring.com and many use their kits if youre interested in seeing reviews on them

11. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

American Autowire is the best by far but you get what you pay for.

12. tinmann

tinmann

Isn't it American Autowire that is advertising the kit with clothwrapped wire? Friggen pricey at $800 plus. Does anyone sell a wiring kit with cloth wrapped wire (or at least a close approximation of) that I can afford? Sorry to take this thread sideways...... but after all "traditional hotrod" is of what I speak.

13. 49dodgecoronet

49dodgecoronet
    from Roland Mb

kwik wire is the way to go street rod electrics sells em plus they have all the other stuff needed to install.

14. kustoms36

kustoms36

i use this kit for my first wirings job on my 36,nice quality,and step by step colors instructions was hepful,they haves my loyalty for my next wirings project

15. MP4/8

MP4/8

I used Kwik Wire kits several times, and really liked them. But the last time I ordered from them, they messed up the order, and completely refused to make it right. So I moved on to Rebel Wire harnesses and haven't looked back. F--- Kwik wire and a big thumbs up to rebel wire.

16. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

Im a huge fan of Rebel Wire, simple kit, awesome customer support...no connectors, but I got everything I needed between Menards and local parts store.

17. I am sold on American Autowire,highway 15,we have installed 9 of them in the past 3 years and I have one that I am about to install in the wagon.

I have been building hot rods for over 40 years now and have used everything from salvaged junk yard parts and pieces to homemade from scratch,,I've used them all.

Bang for your buck,best instructions and everything is included,,and I mean everything.

Nothing wrong with rebel,,,but your going to have to make a trip to the parts store for the stuff that's not included the kit.

If you have never wired a car the AAW kit will have you looking like a pro,,HRP

18. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Well said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    And the extra trips to the parts store add $ up fast!
    Rebels works if you have your own key switch, headlite switch, etc. that is specific to your car/truck ..........................................

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Are these "One Kit Fits All" or custom made for engine, lights, gauges in your one of a kind builds? Watching a car burn has kept me away from things electrical.

20. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I like the American autowire 15 cuz the connector ends are made and you cut the wires to length and screw into the fuse box. some others have the wires coming out of the fuse box and you cut and crimp the connector end.

Ago

21. metal man

metal man

American Autowire is easily the best on the market.To answer your actual question,yes they are made in U.S. and customer service is as good as it gets.The guys that answer the phone are knowledgeable and helpful.

22. moter

moter

American Autowire is what I used in my roadster. Very nice kit..NO problems at all..Highly reccomended!!

23. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

American Autowire kit came with a 60's car I bought. Previous owner started the install and I was left to finish it. They sent me new instructions, and even a dash harness that was missing FREE of charge. Top notch company, and product.

24. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I used a rebel wire large kit. I dunno how much money I spent at del-city for misc stuff but it was a lot.

I didn't realize american had cut to length wires. gawd. My wiring would look so much better if I could have cut it to length *at the fuse box* like that.

I examined an AA kit before, it was just top notch. I think I've seen that wire into the fusebox. You have to break the wire end to get it to come out, if you don't unscrew the setscrew. It is *NOT* coming out accidentally.

Man that kit is awesome. I could have saved a bunch of time running around looking for GOOD switches and things, too, if I'd bought it. Chinese crap is easy to find, American made, not so much.

If it fits your needs, AA is a very nice kit

Rebel wire fit my needs better.

I'd recommend to anybody that has the dash to get an AA kit, especially for the first wiring job.

Oh and wiring really aint no big thang, believe it or not. Practice how you're doing connectors (I personally crimp, solder, then heat shrink) then get to work!

25. 39LOW

39LOW
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from MESA,AZ

I used rebel wire in my last two projects. No problems and they have great tech support if you do have a question.

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is there a standard American Wire kit that is used in 1928-32 Ford based Hot Rods? If you go to their website what is the kit most people are talking about?

27. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Look for a Hy.9, hy.15 replaced it but you might be able to find an unused 9 ..........................................

28. whitetailwonder

whitetailwonder

mine in my 39 i made a whole lot cheeper and works well

29. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

That whole install the wire on the fuse box yourself is brilliant. My friend has a Ron Francis and he hooked eeverything up, then shortened everything and hooked it up again, so his wiring looks neat.

Me, I have some wiring too long and live with it.

If I could just easily shorten it up at the fusebox like AA I'd tighten all of it up.

Also, AA has been around a while and will most likely continuee to be. Rebel wire is great tech support today, but who knows about tomorrow. It's just one or two guys isn't it?

Not that I'll *need* tech support, just that a name brand kit in your car is a plus obviously if you sell it.

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

That's a heck of a pile of wire, wonder what the cost will be in 4-5 years when I need it.