Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why The Jersey Suede Can’t Get No Lovin’ This Year

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 43gman, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Muddi1

Muddi1
    from Washington

I would gladly pay 7% sales tax on parts or anything for that matter, we are at 9.7% for sales of anything that is not "Entertainment" and in that case "Entertainment" applies to the cold one after work, a Big Mac, Candy bars, Bottled water, as well as many other "non-essentials" as determined by state and county reps............10.3% :mad:

2. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

Lance: I can relate to being too low. Paint is burned on top of glass fenders, and on 2nd set of tires, but I LOVE IT !!!

I would like permission to use your quote (you know youre a real rodder when ...) as my signature line. What do you think?

3. Jersey Suede

Jersey Suede
    from Joisey

Muffler is a stainless "turbo" style but a shorty. I swear it's getting louder every time I drive it ... that's why I'm now building an interior for it ;)

Thanks for the compliments!!

29EHV8 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Jersey Suede

Jersey Suede
    from Joisey

KENDEUCE,

No issue with using the quote. If anyone asks, just let them know where you got it from.

I have to laugh every time I read about burned paint on fenders. Mine are steel so I hope they last a little longer than glass ones. I used Rhino bed liner material on the bottom side of my fenders and I never "planned" for that extra 2 mls. of material so clearance is a bit tighter now ;)

5. Jersey Suede

Jersey Suede
    from Joisey

ouch!!!!

6. Jersey Suede

Jersey Suede
    from Joisey

I found a shot of the chassis, and if you look real close, you'll see the muffler. And yes, I have an S-10 5-speed behind it.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. bobo

bobo
    from New Jersey

Nice work Lance. Love the super low stance. I feel your pain on taxes living in NJ.

8. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

ouch on your near 10% sales tax rate, guess like ny state they even tax the much needed wiper paper?

our problem is well known in the news papers .we have what they write as the worst realistate tax rate in the nation, it's a killer when living on a retirement check. takes me 4 of them to pay the bill each year. my lot is 100x125 one bed room ,one bath house,converated summer cabin with a 2 car garage, the bill is $7.000.00,only nice part is besides helping lance withhis builds. i love to fish,5 lakes with in a 5 min walk,stocked with walleye,bass, crappie, muskie,channel cat, if i could still ski, i can walk to one of the 2 ski area's in about 10 mins

traffic wise, i used to drive a big rig for the now long gone CARRETTA trucking , ny to ca and back 3 trips a month, driving here can be like or worse then driving around LA,Calif. driving at night is worse, people with night vision problems running illegal bulbs in the head lamps, illegal bulbs in the fog lamps and all on at one time. your blinded and still have to watch out for bambie, black bears and other big 4 leged animals.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  9. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

as lance posted it is a 5 speed BW t5 from his old s10 chevy pickup. we had some problems with it being to long in the nose area. the TO bearing collar hit the disc.and input shaft locked in the crank shaft. , the input shaft splines didn't allow the disc to release,

a few old timer tricks. i learned from working with the late pappy hough from the former gasoline alley in patterson nj. a grinder, dremel and some files and we got it to work with out a spacer plate.
    it wasn't hard but what we did and how to get the clutch to release took about a hours work, the tricks we did is up to lance to release

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  10. Cool, thanks for the hints and info!

What bumpstick you running? it sounds killer idling!

-Shiny

11. Jersey Suede

Jersey Suede
    from Joisey

The stock marine cam is still in my engine. It has specs of 204 duration @ .050 lift and a valve lift of .498 with the 1.75:1 ratio rocker arms. The listing in the Isky cam shaft web site, for the Nova 153 inch motor, shows this cam has specs right between Isky's first 2 street cams which have durations of 202 and 208.

Right off the top of my head I don't know exactly where the RPM range of this cam is, but it's something like 1400-5500 optimally. It's got a nice subtle overlap and revs up quickly.

I figured I couldn't hide the fact (noise wise) that it's a 4- banger and I sure didn't want it to sound like a TUNER, so the combination of cam and muffler worked out in my opinion.

12. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

the stock marine cam is ground to provide horse power in a 1200 to 4800 rpm band and torque in the 1200 to roughly 3800 rpm band. they will rev out to 5500 with ease.
    with the gearing lance choose. trans and rear, on the street it seems to be dead on perfect. he doesn't need to give it a lot of gas to get rolling, meaning one can roll into the pedal like any normal every day car, but if banged on ,it breaks the tires loose at will.

again here are the link from gm on the marine engines specs
    http://www.gm.com/vehicles/innovati...s/specialized/marine/REV_2011_3000_Marine.pdf,

industrial model specs
    http://www.gm.com/vehicles/innovati...lized/industrial/REV_2011_3000_Industrial.pdf

take note here, if one uses a fork lift,generater,field water pump ver. of this motor, the cam shaft is ground to provide it's power at a max of 2200 rpm. while it has a higher compression right from the factory, "9.2 and 10.5 "as it runs on propane or natural gas. it's high torque low rpm cam is worthless in useage in a street rod. one most change the cam to a marine grind and use rocker arms that don't push the valves into the pistons.

i do know for a fact the true flat top pistons with 9.2 to 1 compression clear the valves. i used these in building lances engine and they are used in the volvo and 2 other brand marine engines .I DO NOT know if the 10.5 to 1 slugs allow the valves to clear the pistons when useing a higher lift marine camshaft just yet, as i have still not seen one of these pistons.

the main advantage to a fork lift motor, either right out of a lift truck or as a crate motor is the use of factory stock cast iron manifolds that allow a one barrel carb to bolt right down and a simple old style single down pipe for the exhuast. if one finds one with a 6 port head the 2 and 4 barrel intakes from clifford fit the head.

if one wants to make a header stahl headers makes the flange and header kit, beware it is costly.
    http://www.stahlheaders.com/Frame%20New%20OT.htm

13. lrapso

lrapso
    from Costa Rica

Great job, Nice truck

14. boxstr

boxstr

Lance, happy new year, and congrats on getting the truck running and driving. Love the garage pics.
    I meant to get back to you on Xmas cards, but it just got crazy and I was to busy to think about it. I will order early for the Xmas.
    I am loving my truck. Pulled the seat and had it covered, added seat heaters, since that is all of the heat I have.
    Pulled the exhaust manifolds and jet coated them. Rerouted and wrapped the complete wiring loom front to rear.
    I have noticed scraping on the top of the front fenders under neath. Fortuantely these are all metal.
    Craig, new owner of Dave Gales beater frog truck..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  15. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

here is a up date on the pick up. lance has been busy rushing to get it done for cruise-in season and ready it is,
    check out lance web site and click on art in motion, sounds like a banger runs like a small block
    http://www.lancesorchik.com/

Attached Files:

USMercUte and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the engine info, I think one of those 4cyc whould work great for my wife's metro project

Lance,love the truck(all your stuff)

17. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

18. bonesy

bonesy

That is such a sweet truck!

19. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Looks even sweeter in person!

Kudos Lance, enjoy it!

20. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

21. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

WOW,,,just came across the videos while surfing the net ! amazing lil truck! i am in love!

22. Congrats to Lance on the photo spread about this little truck in Hot Rod Deluxe!

23. brady1929

brady1929

24. Lance,
    Any chance your friend over in Delaware might repop some more of those SS intake exhaust manifolds?

25. earlyford

earlyford

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Just a bump to the top for a cool truck.

And out if curiosity what front spring is on the truck? I may have missed it, I’m normally looking at the engine info in this thread

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. Jersey Suede

Jersey Suede
    from Joisey

Front spring is a Posies spring, nothing exotic!!

chryslerfan55, Ron Funkhouser and Tim like this.
  28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thanks for the reply! Truck sits great!

chryslerfan55 likes this.