Register now to get rid of these ads!

THE oldsmobile rocket 303 324 371 394 post to end all other posts, (lasalle related )

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RocketDaemon, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

Merry Christmas from my '60 and myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp0pibcKP90

As a '60 Olds nut, I demand PICS! :) Oh, and welcome. :)

Yes ^^^ Paul knows about tri-power 394s. Listen to this man. :)

2. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

www.classicoldsmobile.com has some info in the transmission section on adapters and stuff.

3. mr50s

mr50s

Hey Early Olds engine gurus,

Need some advice. If you're storing one of these engines for a long period of time with the factory fuel pump still attached, how can you safely do it so that the fuel pump arm is not resting on the high end of the camshaft lobe that operates it?

Asked another way, is the arm resting off the high end of the cam lobe when the piston of #1 cylinder is resting at top dead center (TDC)? Seems like this would be a worthwhile thing to do if true, so that the fuel pump diaphragm isn't stretched during long-term storage.

mr50s

4. Clik

Clik

I wouldn't trust it after long term storage in either position. I'm hardly an olds expert but I have a fair amount of experience with various pumps. If the material isn't exercised for a long period of time it loses its elasticity.

5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Wouldn't it be easier to just take it off ???

6. pgj

pgj
    from aurora co.

Hi to all the olds guy's. great thread, i have a 64 jetstar with a high compresson 394. did any one ever make a single 4 barrel aluminum intake? how about a slightly bigger hydraulic cam with a little rumble to it so that i don't have to adjust valves all the time?

7. mr50s

mr50s

Hey langy,

Thanks for your common-sense reply. I should have clarified: for storing the Olds engine in the shop, removing the fuel pump is the way to go.

I'm just trying to find a way to store the Olds engine that is in the car parked outside the shop long-term. Must be a way to more properly position the engine for long-term disuse, thus keeping the fuel pump opening and pan sealed against rainfall and pests. Maybe my question is unrealistic. You and other HAMBers will let me know!

mr50s

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Barring someone with their own foundry who made an intake for themselves, none of the known aftermarket intake manufacturers ever produced an aluminum four barrel intake for any of the '49-'64 Olds V8s.

9. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

I just bought a 1950 Olds 303 motor that is missing the distributor. I've found a distributor for sale from a 1954 Olds 324 motor. Is this dizzy a drop in swap for my 303.
    Also if I swap the heads from the 324 onto the 303 will there be any change in the compression ratio due to differences in the 324 combustion chambers. Thanks.

10. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Edit: never mind. I figured it out..

Thanks anyways.

11. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Not sure on the distributor. I put a '56 in my 303 and had to change gears.
    I have '55 heads on my '50 303. Not certain on compression but be aware that the stock intake and exhaust manifolds won't work due to large ports on the heads. Generator/alternator brackets on the '54 mount off the exhaust manifold. If the 303 is going in an earlier car like 1950, there is no room to mount them there. Depending on cam base circle, head mill, lifters, you may need adjustable pushrods, custom length or adjustable rocker arms.

12. BEAR

BEAR

how would i find out what engine i have the numbers on the back are 667405

13. BEAR

BEAR

14. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

I don't have access to casting numbers. Got a stamped serial number? Early serial numbers were on the left side of the block as in the pic.

Attached Files:

15. BEAR

BEAR

i will look and get it back to you later today thank you

16. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Quick intake question...
    Did anyone ever make an aftermarket dual, 2-barrel, intake mainfold for the 303's & 324's?
    I know Offenhauser didn't.

17. F&J

F&J

Edmunds made 2 versions of 2x2 for 49 to 53 303. One is open web lower rise with "Edmunds" logo in cursive script, and the other is a closed web with a higher rise with "Edmunds Custom" logo in case letters.

They will not fit a 324 unless you use adapter plates to cover the larger 324 head ports.

18. F&J

F&J

Bottoms of both types; open and closed webs.

If I can find pics of the top sides, I will edit and add them on this same post later.

Edit; here is an Edmunds 2x2 303 placed on a 324 engine, and you can see that the 303 manifold is not quite wide enough to cover over the tin intake gasket (raised bead) on the 324 head.

Edit; topside pics of high and lower rise. The high one works better with these Edmunds back draft aircleaners, because it leaves more room to fit plug wires into the distributor cap. These are the early stock 2 barrel carb used on 49,50 Olds 303

Another popular carb were the Stromberg Aerotypes used on factory twin carb 41 Buicks. Singles Aerotypes also can be found on 41 Stude, and some Caddys.. Model AAV-26 I recall. Pic added..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  19. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

20. F&J

F&J

Here is one more 2x2, a Fenton. I have never seen one before.

I thought it was just a rebranded Edmunds from when Fenton bought out Edmunds and all the patterns, but there are differences;

No P/S mounting stands.

Different water hole locations up front.

Different type of choke preheat fitting area.

Attached Files:

21. mr50s

mr50s

Hey 303 Oldsmobile fans!

Just saw an ad in the Atlanta, GA. craigslist posted Aug. 27, 2011. Somebody is selling custom-made headers for $100, supposedly fitting a 1950 Olds drag car, which the seller says "held the world's record in the quarter mile for a stock 303 Olds engine." Contact number listed is 404-543-3457 before 11pm.

I'm in Oregon. So is there a 303 Olds HAMBer somewhere closer who can snag these beauties and then share the patterns of these headers with us so other 303 Olds guys can make a pair, too? Would be a BIG public service for the Olds car hobby, and made a much-needed speed part available once again! Thanks!

mr50s

22. magooz

magooz

Got a question. Bought a 1957 Olds 371. Going to install a B&M Hydrostick trans from the old days behind it. The crank doesn't have a pilot bearing hole drilled in it. Does anyone know the size of the input shaft (stub) end on an early Olds Hydro (Slant Pan) bearing that was used on those early Hydros? Don't have the trans yet so I can'tcheck it right now, but expect it soon. The crank is in the machine shop now and they are questioning me on drilling the crank for its bearing. Thank you guys you're GREAT!!

23. Paul

Paul
    Editor

magooz,
    you will need to drill the crankshaft to accept the pilot bushing,

measured a couple input shafts at .585"
    and a 394 shaft that already had been drilled and fitted with bushing at .587"

I would get the transmission and take it to the shop to have them see and measure,
    and have them ballance the flywheel and crankshaft

[​IMG]

24. F&J

F&J

I have a 56 crank and the mating slantpan, it's not a Jetaway, the cheaper base 56 88 still used the older hydramatics, which is what this came from.

I can measure it today and I will edit this post and add the info and pics here on this post.

but I have a question on 57 and newer engines... are they external balance? and does the flywheel have the same bolt pattern as a 49 to 56?

EDIT>>> I typed too slow; Paul put up the measurements and pics already :)

25. Paul

Paul
    Editor

'57 up flywheels are external ballance, and one bolt hole is offset a few thousandths,

the flywheel will need to be ballanced to match the crankshaft,
    and the offset hole will need to be slotted just enough to fit the crankshaft.

edit:
    here's a blury snapshot of a slant pan Hydramatic with flywheel removed

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  26. Hey all ,
    While we're discussing auto to manual trans swaps I thought I'd ask ...

I have a '56 324 that had the Jetaway trans behind it which I've removed and is going to be used in a friends project .

My questions are :
    Will I have the same issue with drilling the crank ?

Is the '56 324 Externally ballanced ( flywheel) ?

27. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

some of you may enjoy a picture from about 1964. Sonny was the Olds guru around here. 34 Chevy 2dr sedan 394 with a hydromatic. Lots of Olds powered hotrods in our club then but none were stick. Sonny once told me that there were "NASCAR" parts not listed in the parts books but if you knew the numbers they could be ordered from any Olds dealership.

28. ranchy

ranchy

Hi guys, I just got an Isky Rev Master cam for a '55 Olds 324 and need some help with the specs. On the back of the cam is Isky Rev Master E-2 4205 CC and what looks like WO9C...although that part is hard to read. It also has 55, Gus, what looks like B02 and 08. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys! Regards, Keith.

29. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

The Isky E-2 hardface overlay TRACK IN-18-56 EX-58-18 .440 LIFT ADJ .018 256 DUR 1949 TO 1955 MILD.

30. ranchy

ranchy

Thanks bushwacker......guess i better keep looking for a cam with a bit more profile :(
    Any idea where I can get solid lifters for a '55 324 and also for a '57 371? Thanks for your help. Regards, Keith.