Register now to get rid of these ads!

YES or NO: Curb Feeler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adamshumard, Jan 5, 2011.

1. i just got a lowered car with lakes pipes and pods and have sure thought of it, would hate to crunch in the pipes painted covers
    went to insurance co for pics and left 16 in away from curbs, have to have patience and think driving this modified stuff

i am tempted to put some on, but think they will distract from looks
    if i see others running them i think they look ok

2. jchav62

jchav62

Good for customs and lowriders. I had them once on a '77 Lincoln Continental with 14" reverersed Astro Supremes... I liked them more for the look rather than the function. Also, they made nice sparks when you were going down the road with passengers in the back seat...

3. I remember seeing them on "pimpmobile"-type cars. I never knew anyone personally that had them; I was told there was a light on the dash to let you know you were on the curb.

4. 41 C28

41 C28

If you don't parallel park you don't need them ,but they were an add-on back in the day just like traffic light finders and make out knobs.

5. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

"Where's the "it's your car do as you want" contingent?"

'Arf arf arf:D

6. Labold

Labold

ixnay on the curb feelers.

I agree with Willbe, practice parking instead.

7. Crestliner

Crestliner

Sure can tell the younger crowd by response. They were quite popular back in the fifties. I run a set of the wire type on my Cresliner. Mainly due to www and restored factory wheel covers at a cost of 300.00 pre wheel. The good ones have a ringing tone, not a scape like a nail. Its your car, so run them if you want. I see alot of cars on here with crap I wouldn't think of having even if it was a POS.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  8. Deuces

Deuces

I seen those on pimp's cars... :eek:

9. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

why so down on pimps? A fella's got a make a living:p.
    Paul

10. why not bring em back... there not big and gaudy. autozone used to sell em, thought it was funny, they were right next to the fake car phone antennas...

11. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Your ride, so do what you think is good for it...
    However, back in the 50's they were geeky....and still are IMHO...
    Short answer, NO

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yea, why the hell not? Maybe Ryan can start a HAMB car humor section where we can post photos of the car that gives us the best laugh of the day.

I don't need them on any of my cars simply because my wife will walk a block and a half to avoid parallel parking any vehicle.

13. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Not unless you are a dork or an old person. Geez no self respecting hot rodder would have those on a car "back in the day". I think my mother-in-law had them on her '59 Impala nicknamed the white whale. (the car not the mother-in-law:D)

14. nwaringa

nwaringa

Depends to me on the "rareness" of the parts that could be affected. If it took you 3 years to find that bumper... you damn sure better protect it. You could always mount them in a less permanent fashion and only put them on when you think you might be in parallel park situations (to me that means Denver).

15. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Anybody have pictures of these things? I've never seen them.

From the sound of them, I don't think I'd run them.

16. adamshumard

adamshumard

If I were to run one it would be just one. It would be installed as discreetly as possible while still preserving funtionality. It will be on a 54 Chevy custom with whites and side pipes. And I do have to parallel park at my favorite bar.

17. rick finch

rick finch

18. kenny g

kenny g

Its a little known fact but,they add 5 mph.But if you put them on only
    one side .That side of the car will be faster than the other side.
    They would be great for nascar.
    me.

19. I think it'd be easier to just learn how to park

20. adamshumard

adamshumard

It's not a rarety issue for me as I can buy the parts new. It's more so the fact that I'm newly married and trying to start a family. I really don't have the money to just go out and replace stuff.

21. tanof

tanof
    from New Mexico

What is a "make out knob"? Got a pic?

22. Alfred_E_Newman

Alfred_E_Newman
    from USA

lol, classic.

23. I have to be honest, I did buy a set once ... as a joke gift for a friends tubbed '69 Chevelle.

H E L L ........ N O

I have actually seen them mounted on both sides of a car once ? ? ?

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there is one of those one wire type on my 61 Dodge. I think it has been there since the car was new. almost put my eye out one time when it was up on the lift.

I like them on original cars or bombs.

25. If you like the look of them ... go for it. If your question is "do you think I should" ... I say NO, always thought they were dorky.

If you feel you need them to help you park ... here's a thought ... install a backup camera that are marketed for SUV's, minivans etc. Install the camera in a spot that allows you to see the curb. Sure it isn't "oldschool" but you could mount the monitor in the glovebox and no one would know.

One other option is to get a "seeing eye" dog and let him hang his head out the window ... he will bark when you are too close. An added bonus to using a "seeing eye dog" is you could always say "he was driving" if you get pulled over on the way home from a bar.

26. KATFISH

KATFISH

HELL YEA,
    Put them on, the young guys just dont get it ,everyboby ran them,custom guy's anyway.
    But, just on the front.

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

"Back in the day" no self respecting hot rodder would be seen dead with that crap on their cars. They were found on the cars with red jeweled mud flaps, extra antennas, mirrors, lighted hood swans and other bolt on crap. No way that garbage belongs on a rod.

28. KATFISH

KATFISH

they were just another one of hose "things" everybody had like shrunken heads,spotlights,blue dots.etc.....

29. KATFISH

KATFISH

Not on a rod, CUSTOM, or that type car,again only on the front.
    Cant tell you here what we called those who put em on the rear.

30. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York