Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. ehdubya

ehdubya

'Salt Flats west of Salt Lake City, Utah 1914?'

Attached Files:

2. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Vitesse,

Were you lucky enough to get your hands on the July 1984 Thoroughbred and Classic Cars article about John Duff that Brian Lear mentioned here.. http://forums.atlasf1.com/index.php?showtopic=57815 . I'm assuming it was a comprehensive write up about him. There isn't much said about this chap but i'm suprised there is a reference of him being an Aussie. I wonder if he was a supporter of the Australian Labor Party or did he just hate 'Mum' after a while.:rolleyes:

Happy New Year.

Ivan.

3. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

The is also quite a bit of info on Duff in Bill Boddy's Aero-Engine book.

4. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

..also in Montlhery:The Story of the Paris Autodrome by the same author.

5. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Who needs me when you have Jeremy Gilmore around... ;)

This Emil Andres car actually started out as Les Allen's 1930 Indy ride:

[​IMG]

The Mauri Rose #32 Burd Piston Ring was a 1934 car, driven to 2nd place at that year's Mines Field race by Wilbur Shaw. At Indy in '35, it was Lou Moore's ride:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Forgot to add that the Floyd Roberts "Burd" was a different car, as can be seen in the picture posted by ehdubya. I once read that it was built from parts of the Lou Moore/Mauri Rose racer, but I doubt it. There was, however, a "Burd" single-seater in the Moore stable in 1937, driven by Bill Cummings and Mauri Rose, and THAT may have been the basis for the 1938 Speedway winner.

7. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

HA!... ver-r-r-r-y funny!

Everybody needs you. You're Batman, I wouldn't even qualify to be Robin!... ;)

8. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

I know of the 100 MPH Club. Anybody know what the "Sunset Club" was about?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

Can anyone identify the man in the middle, between Pete DePaolo and Ernie Olson? Photo was likely taken Nov. 1930 at Legion Ascot Speedway.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• id.jpg
      id.jpg
      File size:
      42.4 KB
      Views:
  10. Rapid Robert

Rapid Robert

ehdubya and all-
    This photo was taken on August 12, 1914 at about 1:00 pm at a place called Salduro Siding, about 130 miles west of Salt Lake City. It was likely taken by George L Baum, offical photographer for the D&RG railroad. It depicts the final day of racing during the first speed trials conducted on the salt in Utah.

The two railcars in the background belong to The Moross Amusement Co. and were how the racecars and crews shown in the forground were hauled around the country. The other three railcars were from an excursion train, out from Salt Lake, to watch the races. Utah Governor William Spry was among the dignitaries.

The two racecars visible in the forground are Maxwells, one driven by Teddy Tetzlaff and another driven by Billy Carlson. Carlson's was powered by kerosene. There was several other cars present as well. A Marmon Vanderbilt racer driven by Wilbur D'Alene, a Nyberg track racer driven by Rudy Goetz, a third Maxwell and the famous Blitzen Benz #2.

Tetzlaff drove the Benz to an unnofficial time of 142.85 mph, on a 1/2 mile sanction (later revoked) one way through a measured mile.

Later.
    Bob.

Attached Files:

11. ehdubya

ehdubya

12. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Yeah, I especially like how you added the Maxwell logo thats hiding behind the number.

Photo of Ray Harroun.

Attached Files:

13. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Sightly OT.

Caleb Bragg gave up auto racing around 1915 to pursue his other passions of flying and racing on the water. He owned many well built boats but his most famous was Baby Bootlegger, winner of the Gold Cup in 1925 and '26.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

This little Aussie number recently showed up at a swap meet.

Attached Files:

15. onelung

onelung
    from Adelaide

Superb! - and I congratulate you on the B & W treatment, too: most appropriate.:)

16. Ok guys, here we go...I am proud to announce that the Winchester Old Timers will be August 20 and 21 at the World Famous Winchester high banked Speedway. We have several things that will be different this year. First of many is, NO PACE Car on vintage laps..... This does NOT mean green flag laps, just a brisker pace that in the last few years. Secondly, we will be offering laps BOTH Saturday and Sunday this year. Other things are in the pipeline which I will share as they get confirmed.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    We had some things last year that did not go as planned. We found out what caused that and it has been corrected. Please contact me direct at: [email protected] with any comments or questions.<o:p></o:p>
    Charlie Shaw, the owner of Winchester Speedway has asked us to do whatever it takes to assist any vintage car owner/driver to have a pleasurable experience at the track this summer.<o:p></o:p>
    We will also be reserving a block of rooms at the host motel for the vintage group. More details as they become available. We will be doing a mail out to every vintage car/driver that has been there in the past in the next month or so. We will be updating the Winchester Old Timers web site in the near future. Watch for info and photos from last year.<o:p></o:p>
    Thanks and look forward to seeing you there,<o:p></o:p>
    HG :cool:

17. LeeStohr

LeeStohr
    from Washington

Looking forward to those Christie photos !

18. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Anyone know what this car is and who is the driver?

Is it Tommy Milton?

Attached Files:

19. Buildy

Buildy

Kurtis,

It looks like a Peugeot to me.

Possibly Burman although it would be very hard to determine that.

20. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Buildy..... I think you are right I was thinking the same exact thing when your coment was posted...

21. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

what are we looking at? very very well done. great lines and excecution.

22. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Also my first thought, Burman and Peugeot. :)

23. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

My first thought was..... ''Where's my dinner??'' :)

24. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

:D

Have just had my dinner, thank you very much...

25. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Me too we are in the same time zone ......

26. jimdillon

jimdillon

Although it does look like Burman in a Peugeot based on the exhaust and shape of the one car he ran in 1915, I am not so sure. Whether it is distortion or whatever the Peugeot was right hand drive yet this car appears to be something other. Who knows??-Jim

27. Buildy

Buildy

Looks like quite a bit of artists pencil was added to the photo, so all the details may not be accurate.

28. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

+1!

29. ehdubya

ehdubya

[​IMG]

a similar pic form Corona 1916 ...

[​IMG]

Did the left hook 1914 Burman Special ever have this body? The steering wheel looks too high in the doctored pic but so does the mechanic if it's swapped.

edit: I'm pretty sure it's really right hand drive and the mechanic is sitting up gesturing so some artist gave him the wheel.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  30. jimdillon

jimdillon

Ehdubya, glad you posted that picture of Corona. I know I have that photo and it looked familiar but could not locate it. I outsmart myself on where I file my pictures. That is why I refer to it as distortion or whatever. Someone played with their 1915 version of photoshop apparently. Jim