Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dick "Magoo" Megugorac: From Hardcore Street Rodder To Building A Business !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

[​IMG]
    ONE OF THE TRUE PIONEERS OF STREET RODDING as we know it today was DICK "MAGOO" MEGUGORAC . Dick wasn't just a "pioneer" he was a Street Racer, a Builder, a Businessman, and, an Innovator, at a time when "home built" rides were in their prime.​

He then became one of most respected Owner/Builder's in the Industry with every Rod he put on the streets being able to be driven as far as you wanted !

In this Interview, done at Darryl Starbird's, we discussed his phasing out of being a "backyard builder" to a "shop owner" in a building that proudly put out one fine ride after the other !​

I know all of you HAMBER'S will love this Info, as Dick is one of the true "Lifetime Street Rodder's" of All-Time, AND, one of the nicest guy's & best story teller's you'll ever find ! CLICK-ON-THE-LINK-AND-LISTEN:
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage143.html
    Enjoy !​

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I will second the nicest guy comment! I see him just about every month at the So-Cal second Saturday deal here in town, and only having known me for a year or so, always greats me by name and a big hello! I actually cornered him one morning and told him of my slight hero worship of him, and we must have talked for a half hour. Never once tried to run away either!

3. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Great guy, remarkable craftsman.

4. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

AnimalAin: You couldn't be more on-target ! Listen to his comments in the above Interview when he talks about fabricating parts for Rods...quality al the way !

need louvers ? : Next time you see Dick, tell him "Hi" for me ! AND, mention that you heard his Interviews on the HOF Legends Series...you'll see that big smile of his, as I've NEVER forgotten his importance to the R&C Industry and wanted to preserve his voice & stories for those that can hear them now, and for future generations to learn from.

Almost NO ONE can tell a story like Dick !!

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

5. Weasel

Weasel

Dick Magoo = hero!

6. a1929ford

a1929ford

I have the first ever Magoo 29 Ford Roadster give away by the Goodguys. Would like to contact Dick Magoo and have him sign this roadster

Attached Files:

7. a1929ford

a1929ford

Need to locate Dick Magoo. Would like Dick to sign my roadster

8. Missed this the first time around.

Magoo wouldn't know me from sickum today, but I have some fond memories where our paths crossed. The first timel I became aware of he and his wife was when I delivered newspapers as a young teenager. Their home was on my route, though they weren't customers........but they had this very cool T phaeton in the garage...........so they must have been cool people. As a side observation, just like his cars, the yard was meticulously maintained.

A few years later riding down the alley behind his house I was enthralled with the rods he was working on in the small, two car garage that was there.

Then around 1981, after I'd moved to the NW, I stopped by his shop off Canoga Ave to see about one of his hiboy "kits". He was very gracious in his tolerance for all my questions. Gave me the tour, introduced me to his shop foreman, Daryl Zipp, and a couple of the crew. We talked general business stuff, looked at the neat hardware he had going on at the time, including an interesting engine he had waiting for a future project. It was a Chev V6 that looked like 3/4 of a big block. Somehow he had connections at Chevrolet that got him a prototype engine that never saw production. Cool beans.

Good guy, long time real rodder, and glad to know he's still kickin' and playin' with cars.

9. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

If you'll PM me, I'll see if I can get you in contact with Dick. He's a great guy, as you can hear from his Interviews on my Site, and is happy to help when he can.

Like I said previously: Almost NO ONE can tell a story like Dick !!

JK www.legends.thewwbc.net

10. Thought I'd share a couple pictures of the Ferrari Vicky built by Dick and the crew at Magoo's

Attached Files:

11. 2006 Yellowstone rod run pictured is the back end of magoos merc his wife ,magoo,dipstick me & another couple & their ford in yellowstone car show.Getting set for a cruise thru the park. My roadster was beside the ford. That was a show I will never forget, Hailstorm, food poisoning,won a letterman jacket & a couple guys ask for my autograph as they thought I was Graboski. hah ha I told em I was his better lookin long lost brother. We all had a good laugh on that one.

12. edseldude

edseldude
    from bedford va

DIck's Magoo's Red 1929 roadster in the pics is THE roadster for me! I still have the street rodder magazine with the 29 inside. Its basic , clean, and well executed. Its timeless. As soon as I sell off a few cars I want to build a clone......Only mine has to be Ford powered!

13. toycars3

toycars3

The 49 Ford behind Dicks is Guy and Diane, friends of Magoo's from Surprise, AZ
    we attended the Yellowstone meet with them in 2002 (the picture is 2002) and 2003
    what a great trip,,oh and the hail during the Poker Run,,Barbie,,ruined,,ended up eating
    at the Holiday Inn,,got charged 3 times for the meal,,took Magoo and i to visit the
    motel acct office the next day to get resolved,,funny afterwards,,any way,,Magoo
    was and is a great Talent,,did alot for me at the time,,something happened,,??
    have not seen him for 5 yrs or so,,course i do not hang at the cruises anylonger
    either..great great talent with a great history of rodding,,my best to him,,

14. toycars3

toycars3

and Lois:)

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I to have always admired Dick's build style. At the Nationals years ago I got in line for some food and who would line up right behind me but his wife Lois. I recognized her from pictures in the magazines and started a conversation. What a nice lady. she patiently answered my questions which I imagine she had answered a million times. As she did some of the upholstery work for the shop I asked her about that and she said she no longer was doing it. If she is anything like Dick I'm not surprised that so many have good thoughts about him.

Frank

16. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

AS MOST HERE ON THE H.A.M.B. know by now Dick "Magoo" Megugorac passed-away January 12th of this year.

In honor of Dick, I pulled-out FOUR of our favorite Interviews that he & I did at Darryl Starbird's R&C Hall Of Fame and have them as Features on the HOF Legends Site...and, have Posted them here on the H.A.M.B. so that they can be shared with all of my friends here.

This is the last installment -#4- and I hope you enjoy it. It's Dick's story about "Going From Hardcore Street Rodder To Running His Own Business". Simply Click-On-The-Link to hear this very cool story by this true Industry Pioneer; http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage143.html

Again, R.I.P. Dick...you were a friend to all of us.

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

18. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Jalopy Joker,
    You're welcome ! Also, thanks to Tim for the eMail. And, yes, you're right, Dick was a "natural" story teller. He spoke from experience...and always added humor into the mix. He was the same way in a casual conversation. One of the most-pleasant guys to be around I've ever known ! http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage143.html

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

19. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ahhh MaGoo , you've done it again..I was inspired by his work to chop my first car.....