Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods CROSLEYS- Mild to Wild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spoggie, Dec 26, 2010.

1. A few from my photo files...

Attached Files:

2. storm king

storm king

O.K., maintaining that "Little Giant" is the most perfect Crosley race car ever built, I submit one of the nicest street versions I've ever seen. I like Dick Lahaie's just fine, but this one looks like a BLAST!
    We saw it in the spectator parking lot when leaving the Bowling Green Goodguys event in '09. A shop in Lexington, Ky apparently owns it, cannot say for sure if they built it.

Attached Files:

3. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

[​IMG]
    That belongs in the Swoopy Cars thread :D

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  4. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

that's not a crosley, ain't that a nash??

5. I think it's a heavily modified Simca body.

6. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

[​IMG]

got this shot of # 737 at Speed week 2000
    [​IMG]

7. MrModelT

MrModelT

This has got to be the wildest little Crosley I have ever come across. Was built back in the 50's for racing. Body is hand built. The story goes that the guy who built it got beaten his first race out because it was too heavy He was so mad that he took a drill to anything he could afford to drill, to drop the cars weight. He drilled everything: the frame, starter, generator, pedals, brackets...even the wheels! Ever since the car has won every race entered.

They call it a Porsche killer.....and it earned that nickname :D

Attached Files:

8. Rich,

Do you have more info on this one- VERY good looking mods on the body!!!

[​IMG]

9. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

surprised the wooden/lufkin/benham crosley hasn't been posted up. it's gone now but i'm sure it was the world's fastest crosley. it either ran at or near 300 mph.

only pic i could find online:

[​IMG]

i hope someone has some better pics.

10. Sorry, it's a photo I picked up while I was collecting shots of Comp Coupes and/or Chassis Research TE-440 rails.

I really believe it's a crosley coupe, but with the wild recessed wheel well area it really changes it's whole look.

11. thunderplex

thunderplex

...more of the orange Crosley!!!

Attached Files:

12. Thunderplex,

Thanks for the extra pics of the orange wagon... could you post a pic of your avatar (I'd like to get a better look at the car in the forground)?

Rich,

No worries, it's a great picture- Happy New Year!

13. jpm49c

jpm49c

A couple more of my cut away Crosley engines, Cast iron block and Tin block motor made of about 125 stamped out metal and furnace brazed together.
    Crosley had; Exhaust, Intake (two in one), Exhaust, Exhaust, Intake (two in one), and Exhaust. Gear driven overhead cam. John

Attached Files:

14. Thanks folks- wicked posts.

jpm49c- ^ ^ ^ - Thanks for this cutaway post ( pleasing design evident..), and for setting the record straight..

Rich Venza; Thanks- Beaut bodywork & paint. Comp coupes- variety!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  15. jpm49c

jpm49c

Posted by mart3406 on another HAMB link. Bonneville O class Crosley lakester in 1951. John

Attached Files:

16. dawford

dawford

I remembered something else about the Crosley engine.

Back in the 50s I saw a picture of a Crosley engine that had a camshaft that not only had regular lobes on it but also had ears opposite the lobes. .

These ears would come around on each side of the valve stem head pull the valve closed.

The thing that I don't remember is how the valve guide was able to allow the mushroom headed valve stem to be installed.

It may have been a 2 piece split guide that was pressed into the block with the valve installed in the guide.

At any rate the engine was said to turn outrageous RPMs.

Does anyone else remember this engine or any other engine with this valve layout?

Dick :)

17. Zerk

Zerk

Dawford, this reminds me of the desmodromic valve gear, with its more precise valve closing, like Ducati racing bikes.

18. jpm49c

jpm49c

Crosley dragster, from Rod & Custom, Oct 1958 Dave Janas member of Toledo, Ohio's Pharohs car club. John

Attached Files:

19. Is this 7500 rpm/ 98 mph from 40- odd cubes? Fuel?

20. jpm49c

jpm49c

Yes! 44 cu in on fuel. Some went out to 48Cu in.

21. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

Here's one of mine... My Crosley still need to get the new engine in the car, if anyone knows of a decent Vertex mag for sale for a Crosley I am interested!

22. Thanks Duece Chev- I missed it (thread):rolleyes:. A must- have link!

23. Best of Hot Rod '81..

Attached Files:

24. Another Crosley wagon altered class drag car just found over on Facebook. Anyone have more info on it?
    [​IMG]

25. I see that my Dad, Bill Waddill, was listed in this thread about Crosleys. He got a Bonneville Land Speed record with his late 40s/early 50s Crosley with a '49 Cadillac engine in 1952. He was the first person from east of the Mississippi to get a Bonneville Land Speed record. I wrote a book about him and this car is on the cover. It is called "The Original Hot Rodder" and you can search the book at amazon.com. It is also available on ebay and directly from me per instructions on the website www.theoriginalhotrodder.com. The response to the book has been tremendous and it is currently on the Community Blog of Hot Rod magazine. They thought enough about it to include it on their site. He has been gone for over 20 years but they are still writing about him on-line, his cars are on the covers of books and he was in the May 2010 issue of Hot Rod Deluxe magazine for an engine he built in 1959 in his Henry J for the Detroit NHRA drag races.

26. While it sounds like a good book I could not help but notice all 13 of your posts are basically spam. :rolleyes:

27. Attached Files:

• 1.jpeg
      1.jpeg
      File size:
      9.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpeg
      2.jpeg
      File size:
      7.8 KB
      Views:
  28. \

Thats the Sioux City Airport drags, I'll ask my dad if he remembers this one.

29. I am very sorry you feel that way--I have never been accused of sending or writing spam before. Can you somehow block my posts, so that you do not have to look at them?

30. No, the problem is not me. You don't get it, this is an interactive site. Post a tad more than just about your book. :rolleyes: