Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ***The "Malcolm" Model A Roadster Build* (Updated 01/23/11)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Southfork

Southfork

Those frames built by Blackboard Hotrods look like quality frames (I checked out the link you included above). Have you set the '29 roadster body on it yet? How much of a gap is there between the floor of the "A" body and the top of the 32 rails? Is there enough of a gap that you will need to make a wood insert to fill the gap (as is needed when putting an "A" body on a stock Deuce frame? I'm going to follow this build. Was it scary to trim the roadsters cowl pillars for fitting the Hallock? Guess you had to modify the gas tank for the Hallock too.

2. Great to see you starting this. I've been enjoying your "inspiration" pix, can't wait to see what yours will look like. ;)

3. cal1954

cal1954
    from Omaha, NE

Frame looks good. The fun begins! I may know a guy that can help you bend up some tin.

4. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

thanks for the updates. I will have to stop over and check it out. Are you running f-100 front brakes? what your plans for steering?

5. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I had originally planned on using a Y-block, but decided on the 302 for a few different reasons...
    $ per HP is a big one. I'm on a budget, and if this thing is gonna see the road in 2011, SBF it is. It's a stock '87 roller cam engine, besides the addition of a Trickflow Stage 1 cam, matched valve springs, Weiand Stealth intake, and Edelbrock 600 carb.
    It'll be an absolute blast to drive, I can beat the crap out of it, and really shouldn't have to worry about a thing. The roller 302s are damned near bullet-proof.

Sooooo, go right ahead and keep ripping on the engine choice, I don't give a fuck! :D

Another budget decision. I don't even want to know how much $$ it'd take to refurbish the '35 gauges. A good friend is working on a '51 Merc right now and is having the original gauges restored/updated to work on 12v. He's spending well over $1k.
    I picked up my set of barely used Moon gauges for $100 at a sale.

It IS very exciting! Good luck with your '27, Ken!

Thanks, Bob... and Merry Christmas to you, also!

Thanks, Tyler! I hope to make some good progress and keep the updates coming...

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Hmm, how about Bonneville?? Yeah, that sounds like fun!! :)

Haven't set the body on the frame yet. I'll be modifying the subrails to fit the contour of the frame (as needed), no 'spacer'.
    Ahh.. not too scary cutting off the cowl/windshield pillars. As my buddy says, it's just metal! Anything I screw up along the way can be patched/welded/fixed....

I have you on speed-dial, Andy! :D

Like I said, stop over any time, Jeff!
    Yep, using F100 front brakes -- have all of the rebuild parts collected.
    Using a Vega box for steering (*gasp!*), as long as it works with this front suspension set-up.

7. Great start on your roadster Nick! How about a break-in run to the LARS in June? Reliability, cost and fun are all that matter in your build so "do it your way"!

8. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

I love 5.0/302 Fords.......great power,reliable,great fuel mileage,inexpensive to buy,build and drive. They also look good with the right choice of valve covers,intake and carb. They are a true "driver's engine" and who can blame a guy for driving the Hell out of a car as cool as this one will be?

chicken

9. hawgrod

hawgrod
    from nebraska

I hope you are not taking parts off of the old truck in your driveway! I prolly should get that thing outa your way....Been crazy here. Glad to see you making progress on the car. Even if you are using Linda's truck for parts!

10. Brian W

Brian W

It's gonna be Bitchin Nick!! Lookin forward to seeing you at GNRS too!

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Rod, I just pulled the wheels/tires off the truck yesterday! :D It's up on jackstands now -- like I said, no hurry at all, it's not in my way.

Will be getting ahold of you soon to see if you can fit the axle work into your schedule in the next couple of weeks.

12. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Hey Nick...
    You're off to a great start!... Looking forward to seeing you driving it this year!... Keep at it and it will happen!... HAPPY NEW YEAR!...duane

13. hawgrod

hawgrod
    from nebraska

Now is a good time. I'm kinda slow at the moment. Doin some work on my shit for a change! See ya soon! Rod

14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Made some progress over the weekend...

-Bungs are welded on the wishbones and frame mounts are welded on.
    -Figured out what front spring I needed and picked that up.
    -My buddy, Jason (jho on here), helped drill the wishbones to mock up for the spring perches.
    -New bearings/races installed on the F100 hubs to make them fit the square-back spindles.
    -Mocked up the body, hood sides, and grille shell. Had to cut the rear portion of the subrails out to fit over the '32 frame.

(Hard to get good profile photos in a single-car garage!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Also, you'll notice the caster needs to be corrected on the front axle.
    The wishbones will be modified later to set the correct caster -- probably around 8 deg.

16. StudebakerBob

StudebakerBob
    from Lapeer MI

Nice REAL nice!!!! I'm trying to pick up parts for a roadster like that myself. Love the roadster!!!!!

17. -Brent-

-Brent-

I like it at that height. Are you trying to get it to sit level or a little higher out back?

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Nice work Nick!!!! I am really digging this build and love the plan. My only gripe is with that grille shell. Now I love model a grille shells as much as the next guy but it's sticking out like a sore thumb I feel. Perhaps could it be because most Rolling Bone type cars have a '32 grille shell which hangs down lower and hides the axle. I think that's the thing that's distracting my eye. if you could add 3" to that grill and have the bottom hang down lower to hide the axle it might work. Other wise I'd be thinking about a '32 shell.....or a Zach Suhr/Eddie Dye style Track nose. Which can I just say would be rad!!! Or perhaps navarro roadster style.

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Stance looks good. The weight of the engine will put the nose where it should be.

20. cant wait to see it all done and on the salt at bonneville!

21. -Brent-

-Brent-

I like the abruptness of the A shell.

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

A little more like this but this may actually be an inch too much...
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I mean I do too. It reminds me of a Birth Of Hot Rodding car but if I went to all the trouble to set my suspension up like that I would want the front to seem as low as it really is. With the axle being out in the open like that it sort of give the up in the sky 30's hot rod look ya know? Like before they started lowering them.

24. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

It'll be up just a little more out back, maybe 1", and I'm guessing down about 1" in front with engine/trans. installed.

Thanks for the Photoshop, Jeffrey! I do have plans to modify the 'A' shell.
    Similar to what you have Photoshopped, but the bottom of the grille shell will be exactly even with the bottom of the axle at ride height.
    The bottom curve of the shell and the 'smile' of the axle match up nicely. :)

Once the engine/trans, etc. are in, I'll have a better idea of where the axle will be in relation to the shell, and go from there.

25. McFly

McFly

Im diggin the stock A shell. Great job Malcolm..it reminds me of a Rodzy. : )

26. that looks soo good, it sits so perfect love it!

i hope you dont mind added you over on facebook

keep up the good work

27. Nice job Nick. Once you have a roadster nothing else will do.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  28. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Looks ready to go man! Roadsters are where it's at ,Great progress so far.

29. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome Nick, that's also something I didn't take into account was the grille shell dropping lower with weight. I like the idea and think keeping the A shell at any cost is a good move. I'm not one for doing things to be different but in this case, the Model A grille shells are really beautiful so it make a ton of sense.

And that statement about the bottom arc of the grille shell matching up with the axle "smile"....well if you've thought of that already I'll take a step back and just watch this little rad roadster come to life because you've covered all the bases buddy. Again it's awesome!

30. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

I have to agree with Gary, looks good cant wait to see it this summer. I have had a couple 28/29 on 32 frames, their my favorite.