Register now to get rid of these ads!

Portland Swap meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52hotrod, Jan 2, 2011.

1. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Great food at the Dancing bear

3. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Or the Acropolis.........:D

4. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

How late do the booths stay usually open in the evening?... the reason i ask is I might not be able to get down there thursday and friday except for the evenings, but if they stay open late I'll drive back and forth I know it says "8" but ...do guys close down early to party? party at thier booths? bring thier parts to the bars?....

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011

5. I LOVE HAMB PEOPLE!

I am excited to take you up on the offer.

Thank You VERY much!

Gregger

6. MrModelT

MrModelT

I can't wait, I'm already psyched for it....have been since last May! :D

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably the best advice that anyone gave right there.

We plan on going down with a shopping list this year.

8. gsport

gsport

i went for the first time last year and can't wait to go again this year....

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

52hotrod-sounds like you are flying in. if so, hope you are looking for lite weight parts or your charge for heavy extra luggage home could be $$. if after big parts maybe search here for someone in your part of the world that is driving and could maybe haul stuff for you.

10. 30ARoadster

30ARoadster
    from Salem, OR

I suggest getting a booth at the Race Track to park your trailer. Use the booth to store your cooler full of food and beverages and then camp in the back of your rig to save on hotel costs.

I always get a booth at both meets, so I have a place to store my purchased items and have a place to take a break. I know the Expo center sells out early, but I believe the race track always has room.

11. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

This'll be my first Portland swap meet that I've attended while owning a classic car. I went once before just to admire everything, but now I'll have a whole new agenda. :D

I'll have to start saving a wad of cash just to blow at the meet. Just like the gun show I'll probably walk out with something whether I intended to or not.

12. Ahhhhhhhhhh! The Acropolis. Many good times there. The only place to see snake and eat steak. More strip clubs per capita than anywhere else in the good ol' USA.

13. 52hotrod

52hotrod

Actually, i'am driving up from Utah but its the first stop on a family spring break. We will be in Oregon for the following week, just planed on putting all the goodies i find in the back of the suv for the rest of the vacation.

14. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

yep-you and me both man....

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

cool that you are tying swap into family trip. you might need a roof rack for luggage if you find more deals than you planned on buying. take some pics at swap for those of us that can not make it up there.

16. Or you could buy a killer car just to haul your stuff back .

17. Half-Fast Motors

Half-Fast Motors

Throw some crap in our booths in the "Old Bldg." at the Expo. & then walk the track Thurs. Back up above Fr. & Sat. & recuperate on Sunday.

18. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

DON"T park on the road behind the expo on the West side. They write tons of tickets there every year![/QUOTE]

What he said. My Buddy and I parked there once, and were only there for an hour. Came back and our rig was gone. $25.oo Taxi ride to the tow lot and a $200.oo fee to get it out. the hood was still warm.

The shuttle ride is long, and can get packed but comes often enough, and your riding with your kind, so expect to strike up a conversation or two. Can't stress the good walking shoes enough. That's always first on my list.

19. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

You never know what your're going to find there. back in the early 80's I saw George Barris' very own AMBR winner. The guy was asking the unGODly price of $15.000.oo

[​IMG]

20. deltafox6769

deltafox6769
    from Sonoma, CA

21. There are two swap meets in Portland, right next to one another, each starts on a different day.

THE "Portland Swap meet" at 'the Expo': April 1 - 3

The second swap meet held at the adjacent Portland "International Raceway": March 31 - April 3.

See Ya all there!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  22. Along with good walking shoes, raingear and sunblock (some years you need all three) I always pack dry socks to change into in case its a wet day. Miserable to drive home with cold soaked feet. When it rains all weekend stay outside of the buildings as it allows a lot better view of the booths and often the deals get better, Sunday is always a must lots of stuff still available and if its been hauled in several years then at times the prices get ridiculously low. I missed it last year for the first time in over 30 years.

As far as which meet is better the track or Expo, the best one will be the one you find what you were looking for at an affordable price, Do both and don't try to do them both in one day. You'll just miss out on too much.

23. medicinal_marinara

medicinal_marinara
    from Oregon

Portland is full of fantastic places to eat. The foodie hot spots are Hawthorne (30th-39th st are the best blocks), Alberta/NE (Around 14th ST), Nob Hill/NW (Between Burnside and Nicolai and 18th-25th or so), maybe downtown/Chinatown/Pearl district but expect to pay more.

One of the hot fads around here are the food carts. Cheap and good food but expect to stand in line.

24. j_riviera

j_riviera

Both swaps are great, and I agree with others don't try to do both in one day. If you're really looking through the booths and talking to people, each one is a full day event. As for eats, right across I-5 from the track is "The Burrito House", great Mexican, I hit it every year as part of the ritual.

25. U-235

U-235

At the Dog Track....first come , first served....parking all weekend long...
    shuttles to both swap meets all day long....enjoy

26. 52hotrod

52hotrod

27. 30ARoadster

30ARoadster
    from Salem, OR

I just recieved my passes and booth tickets in the mail!! Oh yeah, I can't wait!! It's my christmas!!

28. silversink

silversink

If doing the race track remember if it rains its MUDDY. Track shoes or Romeos will be real wet and messy. I stuff a garbage bag in my pocket and if it rains cut a hole in the middle of the bottom for your head and cut the corners for arms--use one of the corners for a hat, its not a fashion show just a buy and go. If you do the Expo remember most there are wimps and will head for the buildings when its raining so the outside booths are empty and looking to recoup their booth fee so things can be bartered unless they have a cover over their stuff. Sunday is bargain day as a lot of venders don't want to take their stuff back home.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  29. Hey,

Anybody going to the swapmeet from Bakersfield? I need a HAMB relay from there. I could kick in $50 for gas!

Let me know,
    Greg

30. RatPin

RatPin

It depends on what you're looking for.

If you want obsolete parts and other oddball stuff hit the track first.

If you're into old signage/pumps/oil and garage collectable kind of stuff most that is up at the expo.

You will not be able to see everything in a day. Trust me, if you're moving that quickly you are going to miss a lot of stuff. It's HUGE!