Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. bakes

bakes
    from albany NY

Last I knew, this car still exists and was being restored in Michigan.

2. Statsman

Statsman

Makara relocated to Ancaster, Ontario for the racing season for several years in the early 70s. I think the pickings were easier for him up here. He won a title or two at Cayuga and was also an Export 'A' Series Champion.

[​IMG]
    At Barrie Speedway and on the pole for a 100 lapper in 1975.

Earlier in the year with an old nose on the same '75 Camaro body
    [​IMG]

Here is the Draime car in a promo car pic taken at Cayuga. Earl Ross is in the Coke Firebird at the right of the shot. He did win some big races in this car including the big NASCAR modified show at Trenton.

[​IMG]

I know this is not the Modified thread but this car wasn't really a modified either :)
    [​IMG]

Same car as a modified at Martinsville.
    [​IMG]

3. Statsman

Statsman

4. TA22

TA22
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%">[​IMG]Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:43 pm Post subject: Buck Newland-ARCA/USAC driver</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>[​IMG] [​IMG] </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>Hello Forum Members
    I am looking for any and all photos and race results for Buck (Floyd) Newland. He raced during the late sixties thru the late seventies primarily using the number 10. He raced Ford Torinos built out of the Jack Bowsher shop in Springfield, OH. He was sponsored by White's Auto Supply, Flat Rock Michigan. I am particularly interested in finding pictures of the '71 Torino and the '73 Torino. The pictures on this thread are the only ones found to date. I have purchased the chassis and running gear and am preparing to rebody and restore the car. I am in contact with the Bowsher family, but have yet to make contact with Mr Newland. It is my understanding he has limited documentation.
    Any help, clues, introductions and particularly photos would be much appreciated.
    Thank you
    TA22

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

5. txtom

txtom

6. TA22

TA22
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks txtom

Yep, I have these and three photos--as seen on this thread, but very little else.

Thanks for your help

TA22

7. rcrcr1

rcrcr1

I have a couple of pictures of my cousin's cars from the mid to late 60's for the Galaxy to the early 70's for the Mustang. His name is Russ Mueller from Medford, WI. He worked for Medford Motors as a parts man. I don't know much about the cars except that the Mustangwas an old Jim Back car. He raced Thursday's at Fair Park in Wausau, Fridays at Golden Sands, and Saturdays at the Dell's. I only saw him race once in Wausau. He won his heat and finished 5th in the main.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. edweird

edweird

Me and my brother went and got this camaro yesterday. It belonged to a friend of my dads. Last raced in the mid 70's. I couldnt beat the price. It was free. My brother wants to rebuild it and do some vintage racing.

9. Tom Faletti

Tom Faletti
    from Virginia

Like Statsman, I too am a long time lurker who some of you may know. I live in VA but grew up in northern IL following LM racing throughout IL, MI, and WI, etc.

Thanks rcrcr1 and hemiman 1999 for posting the great shots from Rockford. It's been a long time since I've seen some of these.

To add my 2 cents, I believe the #85 car behind Norm Setran's #48 is Dan Prziborowski from MN. The winner that day was Bill Retallik of Madison, WI who just nosed out Trickle and his Torino for the win. Retallick was quoted as saying that Prziborowski was the only other car that could stay with the front two until he was involved in a mid-race crash. Here's the car after the wreck.
    [​IMG]

Believe it or not, they got the car back in the race! But Dan was then many laps down. I don't remember where he finished.

rcrcr1; Nice shots of your cousin Russ Mueller's cars. Watched him run quite a lot back in the day. This is a shot of Jim Back's mustang which may be the one Russ later ran.
    [​IMG]

Good to be here.

10. rcrcr1

rcrcr1

Thanks for the before picture Tom. I have a picture of Prziborowski's car after the crash. Went topless. Any more pictures from back in the day?

[​IMG]

11. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

Here is a pic of Trickles Torino
    [​IMG]
    a couple more of Trickle in the Mustang
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is Tom Reffner
    [​IMG]
    Reffner from long ago
    [​IMG]
    Remember Tom greenly and Dick Lundquist
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    here is an old one from Rockford Red Aase is the car in the air I got this from Reds grandaughters husband
    [​IMG]
    The great Joe Shear..
    [​IMG]
    Here is Joe at Soldier Field in Chicago in the late 60s.
    [​IMG]
    I don't remember where I got most of these photos so if they need credit let me know Thanks to whoever took them..

12. Skrayp

Skrayp

You wouldn't happen to be the guy that owns the 24 hour car would you?

13. Crew Member

Crew Member
    from Indiana

Bakes,

Are you talking about the modified that was Wayne Watercutters that was still around?

14. jrose7004

jrose7004

Have you got a picture of that car before the mayham?

15. Tom Faletti

Tom Faletti
    from Virginia

rcrcr1 and Hemiman: Thanks again for the outstanding pictures.
    Here are a couple more Tom Greenlee shots I took at Grundy County:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One early 70's Rockford car I've been looking for (I don't remember the driver) was a blue Caprice or Impala with Wiley Bigger's Chevrolet across the side and the #2 on the quarter panel. I think it had a black vinyl top. Does anyone have a shot of this car?

16. bakes

bakes
    from albany NY

17. Sparks75

Sparks75
    from Troy, Ohio

If I remember correctly Wayne bought the 6 car as a kit from a chassis builder in pa, can not remember name off top of my head. Anyway Wayne built the chassis himself at his shop. Seems to me the guy only built asphalt chassis (something like Linblad Chassis), someone else might remember name better than I am.

18. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

Hi Tom I seem to remember that car but I have no picture of it I am thinking Jimmy Pierson drove it didn't he?

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Here's a shot of Dick at a vintage racing event in Wisconsin... photo by a friend. I went to college in DeKalb, IL in the late 70's and often made the big races at Rockford. I even have a few laps there autocrossing my Fiat. While ASA cars from back then are my favorite late models, with the very best drivers, those crazy Wisconsin modifieds are my favorite dirt cars of all time! Gary

20. 292belair

292belair

Anybody know what color the Joe Shear 67 chevelle was?

21. ARCA Guy

ARCA Guy

I have some shots of Buck Newland at Flat Rock and Toledo in the White's Auto car. I will dig them up. Joy Fair was driving the car for those nights.

And speaking of Fair, he is one of the reasons Jerry Makera went to Canada to race in the 70's. Makera was an infrequent visitor to Flat Rock, Mt.Clemens and Toledo then winning a few races, but facing Fair and Joe Ruttman, John Anderson and Danny Byrd on a weekly basis, throw in travelers, Bob Senneker, Tommy Maier, Rick Knotts who visited those ovals and it was no wonder he traveled north!

22. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

This is the only color shot I have of that car this was taken at Freeport Back then they often used the same car on Dirt and Pavement I am sure this is the same car but not 100% positive..
    [​IMG]

23. Tom Faletti

Tom Faletti
    from Virginia

hemiman 1999: I was just about to post the Shear picture, you beat me to it.

I don't think Jimmie Pierson was driving the #2 car then. I have a 1972 shot of his dark teal Chevelle #35. The car I'm thinking about was a Caprice from the same 71-73 time frame. Wish I could remember his name.
    [​IMG]

24. old dirt

old dirt

Very interesting comment hemiman. This is the only picture you have of the #36. I hate to tell you this but that is my picture I took after Joe won a trophy dash at Freeport. The man presenting the trophy is Don Valkema a long time sponser of local racing. The Tom Greenlee picture is also mine that was taken off of Dirtfans.com. I do not care that you use any of my pics but lets give credit where credit is due. I have hundreds of old asphalt pictures of Rockford alsoI. I will try to post in the near future. Oh bye the way that is the same car as pictured in the Soldier Field picture. It was owned by Bob and Gary Wagner of Rockford.

25. old dirt

old dirt

26. old dirt

old dirt

27. bakes

bakes
    from albany NY

Cool, thanks for the info! I know that Howard Conkey of Show Car Engineering in Waterloo, NY was supposedly associated with the chassis. Howard primarily built asphalt Supermodifieds, so that may have been him. I forwarded the pic on to people who know the current owner via the message board at Pinner's Bar & Grill Supermodified site, so hopefully its story will be told in full. :cool:

28. Crew Member

Crew Member
    from Indiana

Sparks, Bakes

Sparks you are correct. If that is the same car Wayne did get that as a kit. I spent alot of hours at his gas station in Sidney where that car was built. After it was put together to run at Dayton they would not let it run because of the front suspension setup. They wanted a stock front clip. He did get to run it a couple of times. After that he made it street legal and you could drive it on the highway. It was only about 48" high. I sent an email to Wayne about the car in Michigan to see if he knew for sure that was it.

29. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Here ya go Old Dirt....:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Louie

30. TA22

TA22
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello Skrayp

No, I am not the owner of the 24 Hour car, but I know him well and race with him.

But I did grow up in the Central Valley of California -- within ten miles of Modesto. Ground zero for American Graffiti.

You paint cars for a well known racing family?

ta22