Register now to get rid of these ads!

Someone tell me I'm crazy to turn my '62 Buick Special into this one off.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slim tempo, Jan 2, 2011.

1. das858

das858

Wagons are way cooler than Elcamino's , don't cut it up.

2. thunderplex

thunderplex

...I say, ...go ahead and fuck up another cool car. You should also chop it, channel it, french everything, add a continental kit, fender skirts, dummy spot lights and use some goofy-ass wheel covers. man, ...wouldn't that be kewl?

.....puke.

...just leave it alone.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  3. 1320/150

1320/150

4. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

And I Thought I Was Crazy.......

5. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Keep it a long roof
    It would be a shame to butcher a survivor like that to make an abomination.

If you got the skills to actually pull this off, go to an insurance salvage auction and but a late model FWD car, and make an el-co, or even a woodie out of one of them, but leave that classic iron the way it was supposed to be.

6. sgnova72

sgnova72

Add another vote for wagon.

7. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Another vote to keep it a wagon. I really think you will have a unique cool wagon if you keep it simple. There aren't a lot of specials out there being built.

8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

please keep it as a wagon. If you must cut, make it a 2 dr wagon

9. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I like wagons, El Caminos, sedan deliveries, etc that are made from cars that were never manufactured that way.

I am surprised that on a forum where people routinely chop, section, and otherwise whittle up old cars, that anyone would feel this car should not be violated. It's just an old car, and not a particularly valuable/desirable one..... a long way from being a Rolls-Royce, Ferrari, or Duesenberg. I say that anytime you can do what you want to do, do something unique and interesting, and piss off a few people all at the same time, it's hard to do any better.

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Keep the long roof. Keep the doors. Lose the flat black. Not that I'm against cutting up an old car, it's just that wagons are SO MUCH FUN!!!

Brian

11. keep it as a wagon.

12. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Do it. Wagons ain't all that.

13. It's a great idea. If you are unsure of your current level of talent, find some cheap Dodge mini van and build an A100 type thing first. The lessons learned will be helpful, especially making the back of the cab and inner box look good. Then, should it turn out crappy, who cares? You can still use it like cheap whore till it falls apart. That'll give you an idea if you want to cut the ol' girl. If it turns out well, sell it to a Mopar guy to finance all the cool stuff you'll want for that spiffy Buick project.

14. brewsir

brewsir

15. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Do you have any idea how much fun you can have in a wagon? Wink, wink, nod, nod!
    The back seat folds down doesn't it?

16. I like the long roof.. A sedan delivery using 2 door sedan doors and making it look like it was born that way would be way cool.

17. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I love wagons but that would be different. just be sure your up to seeing it through before you waste the wagon!

18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Dont cut it, I see it solid Gloss black with red interior or solid Burgundy with silver or tan interior with a set of these or similar (five lug conversion ?) with black walls

Attached Files:

19. Lil' Toot

Lil' Toot
    from Tulsa, OK

It's your car, you should do what makes you happy. That being said, you did ask for opinions:

Wagon

I'm all for cutting up stuff, nothings sacred in my opinion. But the El Camino/Ranchero thing just doesn't peg my meter. Don't get me wrong, I love el co's, but it looks so close to a Ranchero, I'd rather start with a Ranchero and turn it into a nice little custom.

20. BISHOP

BISHOP

If I had a Ranchero, I would make a wagon out of it.

21. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

It could be cool but you had better have the type of experience and skill that doesn't normally come with a guy asking other peoples opinion on what he should build.

Just making that into a two door wagon like suggested is a big project that takes a good body and fabrication man to pull off without it looking like a home hack job.
    Making an el camino (looks more falcon) would be a lot harder if you want it to look good and not like someone had a case of beer and a saws all with nothing to do.

22. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Wagon. Wagon. Wagon.

23. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

exactly!!!!!!

24. You're crazy if you do.

25. Wagon...

2 door it properly

26. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Seems like a lot of work to make a ranchero, couldn't you just buy one already done?

27. Its already "Special" :rolleyes:

Hack It !

But do it right

Oldmics

28. x2.

29. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I like Wagons. I like Ranchero's & El Caminos too. Normally I wouldn't suggest cutting up a family cruiser, but I actually think it would be cool to make a ute out of it. A Ranchero is a unibody car too, so it's not like it can't be done. The photoshop rendering isn't bad looking, and nobody else will have a car like yours. There's tons of wagons around. I say go for it.

30. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

If you cut it up the rear doors will have to become structural. That's no biggie. In fact the bodyshell will be stronger with structure in place of the rear door apertures.

But you need sail panels, both to handle the couple involving compression in the roof and tension in the floor, which would otherwise bend the B pillar; and to complete the greenhouse visually. And on top of that you'll find the seats project behind the B pillar. You can't just end the roof at the B pillar. A sail panel will also make it easier to devise a cab back and rear window arrangement. Luckily early-60s cars with their angular lines and flat side glass lend themselves to simple sail panels that shouldn't be too hard to fabricate.