Register now to get rid of these ads!

Portland Swap meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52hotrod, Jan 2, 2011.

1. 52hotrod

52hotrod

I just booked my hotel for the Portland swap meet! I'm stoked, got a great deal, $99 a night at Oxford suites. It's my first time to the swap meet, any suggestions or helpful tips? Also any great places to eat? Thanks

2. Bring good walking shoes.

3. Joe King

Joe King

so, when is it?

4. Go to the track first. It seems that the better deals are there. Alot more action also.
    We usually head down Thursday night, do a quick walk around the track. Friday morning wake up early and do the track, and then do the exhibition center. Then we eat dinner and do a quick walk around the track again. Saturday morning we do another lap and then head home Saturday night. We take the RV so we have a base camp for liquid refreshments and food.

5. 52hotrod

52hotrod

6. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

Bring a hand truck or cart One year my Dad found a good deal on a Mac side cabinet 15 minutes in the gate but ended up buying a old airport luggage cart to tote it around

And good walking shoes

7. 52hotrod

52hotrod

So which one is better? or do i try and do both?

8. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

How many days are you going to be there ?

9. 52hotrod

52hotrod

getting there friday and leaving sunday, not sure on times yet.

10. I like the Track. More layed back vendors. If you are looking for cars then the upper Expo is better but you will be paying higher doller for most things. Thats my take. I have been to it about 10 times.

11. But isn't the lure, two swap meets together?

12. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Yea man I bring a backpack if I'm just lookin for little stuff. The cart idea is a good one if big parts are your thing. Most times I ask to leave the big stuff at the booths were I bought it and pick it up on the way out.

13. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

Some guys say you can see both in one day me and My Dad only do the Expo (original swap) on Friday 2 years ago we went fast through the expo and hit the track but it was to much in one day if you get there Friday i would hit the Expo first then the track Saturday the track starts Thursday and if you can get to the expo Friday you have first look

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

There's a drop off area where you can take large parts. They give you a ticket so you can drive around to pick them up with your car or truck. I always pull one of those old granny wire carts with me, just for odds and ends.
    Take the shuttle bus if you can't get into the main lot. There's parking everywhere, but DON"T park on the road behind the expo on the West side. They write tons of tickets there every year!

15. 52hotrod

52hotrod

I think i will do one on friday and the other on saturday then leave sunday open to repeat which ever one i liked the most. I think will bring a backpack, not sure i will be able to haul a wagon up with me.

16. My hotel doesn't have room for my trailer. Any idea where a guy could park a trailer during the show? On sight or even a half hour away might be OK.

Let me know guys.

17. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

18. interst8er

interst8er
    from SoCal

Dont forget your best rain gear! I lived in Portland and attended many meets there. I can get really wet!

19. interst8er

interst8er
    from SoCal

Columbia River RV Park [​IMG] [​IMG] - <NOBR>more info »</NOBR>
    10649 Northeast 13th Avenue, Portland, OR <NOBR>(503) 285-1515</NOBR> &#8206; Category: Campgrounds
    40 reviews
    "A word of caution, Columbia River RV Park does not give refunds and it's ..." <NOBR></NOBR>

[​IMG]
    Jantzen Beach RV Park [​IMG] [​IMG] - <NOBR>more info »</NOBR>
    1503 North Hayden Island Drive, Portland, OR <NOBR>(503) 289-7626</NOBR> &#8206; Category: Campgrounds
    Sign in to rate

<TEXTAREA class="comment-box-textarea-default comment-box-tip" rows=3 ga:type="ReadWrite" ga:expandAfterCharsExceed="50" ga:numRowsToExpandTo="8">What do you think about it? Share a tip.</TEXTAREA>

Liked:
    Disliked:

Edit your review
    <INPUT type=submit value=Publish ga:type="Publish"></INPUT><INPUT type=submit value=Cancel ga:type="Cancel"></INPUT>

16 reviews
    "As mentioned by others, the park is noisy but clean and great amenities." <NOBR></NOBR>

20. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

we'll be there.

the track is where it's at.

21. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I usually go to both, the track first and then the Expo next. Like was mentioned, wear some good walking shoes. Have some good raingear for the track, once you start around it, there isn't many places to get out of the rain. The Expo hall has some buildings where you can get out of the weather.

22. dubcee

dubcee

Good shoes, rain gear and sun block. I have been soaked one year and sunburnt the next!I will be at the track with a couple of booths. As far as parking a trailer the track has pre-sale tix and you can get rv parking out side the back gate, with or with out hook ups. We get a booth inside at the track just for the rv and acouple more for the parts, then you are always where the action is! That place really comes alive after they close the gates to the public in the evening!

23. Yes, the weather will be unpredictable. As dubcee said bring rain gear and sun block. If you have a tendency to party hard, I would see the track first..you want to be fully alert when walking it, to be able to avoid the pyschos on their mopeds, minibikes, three wheelers, etc. Oh yeah, don't forget your most comfortable walking shoes. Lots of stuff to see, worth checking it out.

24. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Definitely the track first - if you start out 'up top', you may get so distracted (happens to 'first-timers') that you'll miss the track completely. Ditto on the sunscreen, layered clothing (so you can peel down to a t-shirt if the sun is out) and a hooded rain jacket of some kind. Careful parking on the grass fields, if it rains prior to and during the meet, some ingress/egress routes can be turned into "$100 hole" from increased use.

Have a good time - it's a great swap meet. My friend Bill and I used to go almost every year when I still lived in the NW and I miss it.

dj

25. 41plym

41plym

I live about 10 miles north on Washington side of the river just 2 miles west of I-5 you're welcome to leave the trailer at my place. I have plenty of room and it's secure.
    41plym

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

They've pretty much shut down anyone staying in their RV inside the Expo, but I think the track is still open to people staying overnight if they're quiet.

27. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

It's funny, I was just thinking were in the middle of winter but talk of the BIG swap meet is making me feel like summer is creeping up on us.
    Anyway last year was hotter than the devils asshole, I would bet on rain this year...
    If you're not bringing a cart def bring a back pack, good shoes and take your time I have rushed through it before and felt like a missed a bunch of stuff and was EXHAUSTED in the end.
    Remember to have fun!