Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. LEW BECKER

LEW BECKER

I am sure john hoffman-hoffman machine would be of interest to those on this thread-the racer-master machinist responsible for the not so obvious special machine work that enabled many of the fastest cars in the n.e.d.to run as well as they did.more hoffman pix to come;).

Attached Files:

2. LEW BECKER

LEW BECKER

P.s.-hoffman photos in the above post provided by ned stock racer jim carter!

3. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Aha! Good to know. Guess it's pretty obvious that I've never had a '67.

c

4. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Here are a few more stocker pics.

I'm partial to the last one. Looks like a couple of Cobra Jets going at it.

5. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

i am all about making the nova look like Jr stocker, (you really got me going on this by the way!!!) I want to hook up with you in spring on getting some vintage decals for the car. I dont know if i would do a tribute to the "Nova-Cain" or just use it as a reference. As far as the ralley wheels----they gotta go ! i want 15x4 cragars up front and steelies out back. I got the car to hook better at the end of fall, i need a new set of rears any way so maybe ill try out the M&H slicks:D. i def. want to come out by you and look at your car and stuff.... when is a good time?

6. BadNews

BadNews

Jeff "Slack" Merkel bought a '68 Cobra Jet Mustang C/S from a friend of mine, Rich Ammon, who drove a tow truck for a Fanwood Chevron station. Rich had bought it as a 390, 4 speed fastback Mustang, with a blown engine for $450.00 ...... when he ordered parts and tore it down, none of the parts looked right. Upon further inspection, he realized he had purchased (from VIP Honda ... back when they sold only motorcycles)
    a '68 Cobra Jet Mustang. It ran 11.70's as I recall. Jeff stuck a C-6 in it to run C/SA, and went 11.60's. When Jeff got it, the car was white, with a black stripe up into the hood scoop, and had red C- stripes on the sides.
    Jeff painted it black, and put polished Cragar Super Trick wheels on it. It really looked great! Ed Merkel had a wicked Cobra Jet in a Mercury Montego convertible, too. Took the Summer Nationals at Englishtown.
    As I recall, he was the oldest person at that time to win a national event.
    A couple of great stocker guys! If you see or speak to Jeff, tell him Kevin McDonough said hello. I worked as a tech inspector at Raceway Park.

7. BadNews

BadNews

Lew,
    Thanks for the pics of John's cars. I didn't remember seeing the hardtop, but I'll never forget his '71 convertible, with the 425 hp, 454.
    I remember it when the car was a pumpkin orange color, with a white convertible top and white SS stripes, close to the second photo. His machine shop was THE shop for racers around Truppi's shop. John lived
    in the Watchung, NJ area, on Washington Valley Road, as I recall seeing the car parked in the yard one day. It was a near twin to the famous '70 Chevelle out of Truppi's shop, driven by Ray Allen and Claude Urevig, sponsored by Briggs Chevrolet.

8. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Another shot of Max Sterling's White Lightning for ya all!!

[​IMG]

9. rlpagan

rlpagan

I have enjoyed reading thru this thread and seeing all the old pictures. I know many of the people posting and have really liked the stories. Maybe you guys that had cameras at Div. 1 races in the early 70s can help me find a picture, If you were at Atco Div 1 finial race in 1973 I was driving for Jerry Stein at the time and had the red car. (64) I had borrowed Alum. front end from Tom Marotta and it was the only time I ran the 64 that way and its the one picture I do not have. I ran some big names that day so there must be a picture somewhere.....I hope. Happy New year to all.
    [email protected]

10. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

assortment of stockers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  11. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Thanks for posting this pic. Reminds me of my 1970 Ford I had with a 429 honker in it. Man that car moved! Sold it in 2001... I really miss that car. Sorry to get OT a bit.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  12. drood

drood

One in every crowd. You know, your posts here and on classracer are all the same. All you do is whine about the fact that it isn't 1965 anymore, and you come off like a bitter old jackass. You think modern doorslammer racing is easy? Takes no skill or talent? The cars never get down the track? You sound like a know nothing chump to me. Another one of those guys that thinks the planet should have stopped revolving around the sun after 1970, and is now angry at everyone and everything that came later because it didn't.

I'm sure you genuinely wonder why so few younger guys are into these cars or the history behind them. Take a look in the mirror, pal. You're part of the problem. By the way, late model muscle is just as much a part of American history as their forefathers, but their stories are still being written. And I'm sure that just burns you up inside.

Sorry for the jack, guys. This is the most interesting thread I've read in a long time.

13. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Bob......I know we are from the same area and know many of the same people......I was wondering if Wes Coleman was your partner? He was around a lot back in the '80s and in my old shop a few times with some other racers. I think he had a towing business in Paterson.....A nice guy and always friendly....haven't seen him for quite some time....

14. racemad55

racemad55

[​IMG]

Bill gave this one to me at Island in '09,Great guy full of cool stories,Signed my NED73 annual, Told me about the offer from Mopar for a factory ride ,said if came down to him or Sox in a final he would have to throw the race, he declined the offer!

15. Max Wedge S/SA

Max Wedge S/SA
    from USA

Drood,
    I read your response and thought about it before I passed any judgement. It's funny but the older we become the faster our cars were back then. Most of us have a hard time accepting change and wind up living in the past. I still have my '63 Plymouth, back to '63 condition. Running mid to low 12's was a feat not many were able to achieve back then ( '63 to '65 era). But then even at my age (70 + ) I became interested in the newer cars and spent a large bundle and bought a new 2008 Ford C Jet. It sits in my garage next my Plymouth. It is still the same car as when I had it shipped to me. I had made 6 passes before I parked it for good. My Plymouth can't hold a candle to my C Jet in performance and quality. I am envious of todays Stock and Super Stockers. Yes this is your time, I had mine. Just promise me that in 30 plus years you tell the new generation about your " Good old Days "
    BTW My C Jet is faster than Pro Stockers were back in the early '70's as delivered from the factory. I love both of my cars the same, both are hanger queens and both make me smile.....

16. drood

drood

Max Wedge,
    Now that I've cooled off a bit, let me say no offense intended. I'm a young guy who grew up with 5 liter Mustangs, those are my passion, and I make no apologies for it. But I grew up in a car family. My grandfather started wrenching on flatheads in the late 30s. My mother raced a 67 400 HO GTO in the late 60s, and could row a 4 speed with the best of them. Even today, at 62, she can still throw a pretty mean shift. In short, I have a huge amount of respect for the guys and the machines that came first, and it wasn't my intention to come off otherwise.

But you can only listen to people, who don't know you, trash you and your car because you're both from the wrong decade for so long before you reach your limit and hit back.

My post toward X TECH MAN was worded strongly, and for that I apologize, but I stand behind my point 100%. You don't have to love, or even like my car, but understand that I have the same passion you do, and that I've poured the same blood, sweat, and tears into my car as you have into yours. A little mutual respect among car guys goes a long way.

Edit: Max Wedge, that last paragraph wasn't directed at you. Just a general statement.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  17. drood

drood

No problem brother. I said what I had to say, and I'm done talking about my modern car.

Now, in the spirit of the thread, a few years back I picked up a rough 60 Impala 348 Tri Power 4 speed car, white with red interior. The older fella I bought it from told me it sold new in Kearney, NE, and was raced fairly extensively in Nebraska and Kansas. I sold the car quite a while back, but I was always curious about its history. White 60 Chevies were a dime a dozen back then, but I think the 4 speed might have made it more memorable. Anybody recall a car like that in the KS/NE area?

18. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

and I thought it was just me (sarcy)... thanks Drood for telling it like it is. :D

Larry

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  19. rlpagan

rlpagan

Rich, Yes Wes was my partner, you can see his name on the back of the vette. He is still in Paterson and doing well.

20. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Drood, this is one heck of an introduction!

Thanks Claymore... this is the Jalopy Journal's H.A.M.B. A website for traditional/vintage hot rods and period cars. We are here to "Spread the Gospel", and to converse amongst each other like adults. This is otherwise a mellow thread; with tons of information and participation from great guys sharing their stories, memories, and knowledge. Reliving their past. And for the most part, "passing the torch" for current and future generations to enjoy as well.

I'm in favor of "the past". And I would venture to say most H.A.M.B.er's are. I'm 35 years old and wasn't even alive during the 1950's or '60's. But, I'm trying to experience it and truly "live" it for myself. Not just in hot rodding, but in my everyday life as well. To pay homage, to give respect, and to learn. 1955 to 1970 was a very special time; not only for the great country of ours, but for hot rodding and drag racing as well.

Respect is earned by the way, not given. Maybe your comments should have been posted toward X-Tech at classracer.com instead of this board?

My apologies gents... especially to Colesy, but I bit my tongue so hard last nite, it was almost bleeding. I don't want this thread to run amok.

21. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

Rich Biebel corrected me on Jay's wagon and I remember this car when Nick Katsunis ran it in the early 80's as a bracket car.. It was either still called the Fun City Hauler or the Fun City Flyer. Too many cars, not enough memory......Thanks for the pictures.

22. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

Any body remember the story of Chuck Johnson and the Boone's Farm burnout with a rental car at Indy? I think Dragster even published a picture of it.:eek:

23. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Finally got one. Had to order it through a Circle Track website All Star Performance. Try walking into a parts store today and asking for a "ribbed" upper radiator hose. See what kind of funny look you get.

I can't wait to fire up the Ford this spring and experience some "quasi-aeration"!;)

24. 1320/150

1320/150

I do agree drood did step a little out of line (for which he has apologized).X tech has an uneducated opinion of newer power added cars.(I think the newer 10.5 class cars are a F****ing blast to watch!!!!),and I only wish I had the cashflow to participate!!!! This junior stock thread is a lot of fun,and I mainly read it to get ideas for my 150,however I didn't expect someone who hasn't really posted a single HAMB worthy car (1964 and older) to chime in like this. Don't get me wrong. I wish I could post all kinds of pics of my chevelle(that I am very proud of),but I don't.I know your gonna say the cars you post are junior stock race cars. I think you do bring alot of info to the table, but don't you think they are a little muscle carish?

25. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

26. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

27. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

28. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

29. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

30. dirt42

dirt42

You can get them at NAPA i think they call them the yellow strip hose. The Gates version is the green stripe hose and the cool thing is they make a rubber reducer so you can use the same hoes top or bottom just use a reducer on top.