Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects We're moved in!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chaz, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    I've posted some pics of the construction of our new shop on another thread, and lotsa folks asked to see the inside.
    We finally got moved in this week and I thought I'd share some pictures of the new "Strange Days" shop.
    Strange Days is a loosely knit group of us guys that concentrate on offbeat projects. Wood , metal, autos, and all other materials are fair game. Because of this the shop is set up to work with most any materials. Its also a bit of a museum where we display restorations and other stuff we simply find interesting.

[​IMG]

The gas sign is an old spare tire cover from an RV that has been re-purposed. The Coke macine was found at a yard sale, restored, and now serves as the shops refrigerator. The pinball machine was a gift from a fellow rodder I repaired an oil pan for. The right side of the shop is setup mostly for metalwork, the left side for wood and softer materials The restored kids vehicles are a passion of mine.

[​IMG]

Heres a shot of a lot of the metalworking tools. We are pretty well equipped to produce most anything we dream up.

[​IMG]
    The workbench is 20 feet long and has a solid 1/2 inch thick steel top. It is soooooo handy. The cabinets we made ourselves.

[​IMG]
    Storage is in bins and cabinets on the back wall. These were reclaimed from a bank demolition.

[​IMG]

More crap to work with.

[​IMG]
    These are the cabinets on the woodshop side. I found a little guy named Chris Faibanks to paint them for me a lot of years ago. It was his last job before he headed out to Austin to make it in the big time as a comedian.
    A few years later I was watching Jimmie Kimmel and he introduced a new comedian named Chris Fairbanks.... Well I'll be goddamned-he made it!

[​IMG]
    There's well over 100 clamps on this wall, and there are times we still run out while working on projects. The pictures above are some of the Carousel horses we've carved. All in all though, the shop is super well equipped for a bunch of halfassed backyard builders. Hope you enjoyed the New Years tour. If you are ever out this way give us a call and stop in!

2. tred

tred

norm abrams would be proud...

3. Racrdad

Racrdad

That is beyond nice!! WOW, what a cool setup.

4. Hey Chuck, the walls and ceiling sure are shiny--gloss paint over drywall? Man, it sure looks user-friendly overall :cool:

5. xlr8er

xlr8er

Space Odyssey - great Williams game circa 76. The 4 player version is called Space Mission. Both fantastic EM games!! The rest of the place is pretty slick too!! Very nice!

6. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I like drywall cause it's pretty fire resistant and I can repair it in a heartbeat! The gloss white lets my old eyes see things. Its amazing how much light you need after age 60!

7. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Very nice shop.:)

8. rustyhood

rustyhood

Talkin about a kid in a toy store!
    I can see some fun times coming from that new set up!
    Microwave and I don't see a reason to leave! :D

9. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

That's the house part. No tours there... Sorry

10. hasty

hasty

Nice shop - have fun in there

11. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow:eek::eek: Absolutely love the building and the cool stuff inside of it.
    Gasser Girl

12. 562roadster

562roadster

Great looking shop!

13. Ain't it the truth!:D

Looks great,you guys have really been working hard,,now I gotta ask,,when are you gonna start that woodie 54 Ford wagon? HRP

14. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

very cool! Congrats!

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic stuff, Chaz. Ya'll do some crazy shit. Especially love the Finkster. What about the diner?

16. big creep

big creep

wow thats beautiful!!!!!

17. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Not everything could make it to the new home. The Diner and little city are now being enjoyed by the renter of the old "Strange Days" shop. I do miss them though.

18. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

beautiful, and fully functional to boot. very, very nice. good luck with it.

19. Great looking work space. It will be fun working on things there.

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's awesome!!! How does it work? Do you own it and then some buddies just use it as a hobby shop?

21. INCREDIBLE! :eek:

Congrats!

22. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

The building and tools are mine. But I'm real big on collaborative work.Over the years I've seemed to accumulate a bunch of buddies that all enjoy each others' company and working together. Sometimes the projects we work on belong to one of us, and sometimes we just build what interests us. If we then sell it we split the profits. It's worked that way for us for several decades. While I'm grateful for all I own, my friends are the real treasure here at Strange Days

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

wow...just WOW! :)

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Killer shop and pad..congrats

25. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Kick ass work crib.

Good luck in the new diggs.

PACO

26. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

27. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Really nice set up....every guys dream, on here, I'm sure

28. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

29. Didn't you have a "gentleman's social club" in there as well? That would be hard for me to give up. I'm fond of that genre of piano music.

30. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

That is great! Nice job.