Register now to get rid of these ads!

Back in Black...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hackerbilt, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Started a driver project a couple of weeks ago.
    Not anything special...just a 63 Dodge 330 4 dr. I like it...
    I'll post some pics as the rust gets cut away and the new stuff gets fabricated. Might give someone some help or a laugh....

Pretty rusty...some structural issues like bad leaf spring mount areas and a crap torsion bar crossmember...bad floors. No biggie.
    Front frame is really solid though and so is 95% of the rear rails.

fitzee and Peter came up one night as the project went into the shed and we pulled off the fenders, bumpers, seats, gas tank and the hood.
    Thanks guys!

I got to work the next couple of nights and fabricated a set of subframe connectors and then installed them deep into the factory subframes. She won't crack in two now!

Since then I pulled the old 8 3/4 flanged rearend and the leaf springs to get ready to make up some inboard spring boxes.
    Unfortunately BOTH the leaf springs were broken at the front eyes.
    Turns out the spare set of S10 Blazer springs I have are very close in overall length and I MAY use a set of those mains (redrilled for centerbolt location) to reconstruct my springs. Jury is still out on that as I have to get some additional measuring done before I commit.

Regardless...I'm NOT a restorer...so expect some mixing of parts and brands.
    The only rule for me is that it's getting built tough, safe and drivable...and that it not look like a Donk, or a Camaro or something!
    If I can do that with parts I have easy access to, even better!
    She'll be going satin black most likely. those things just look sinister in satin black.

Oh yeah, Because of the slant 6 I figured I might have to run those slicks...but naaaa...I'll go with something a little more streetable and live with the wheel spin. ;):D

Attached Files:

• 041.jpg
      041.jpg
      File size:
      493.6 KB
      Views:
    • 044.jpg
      044.jpg
      File size:
      510.6 KB
      Views:
    • 047.jpg
      047.jpg
      File size:
      530.1 KB
      Views:
    • 055.jpg
      055.jpg
      File size:
      490.6 KB
      Views:
    • 057.jpg
      057.jpg
      File size:
      352.5 KB
      Views:
  2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Cool! Looks like something that would have (really) been in the highschool parking lot back in the day.:cool:
    Everyone didnt have a 69 camaro even tho they might have wanted some muscle at the time.

3. Chemin

Chemin

Are you gonna make it to Moparfest when you're finished? :)

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Always liked those long-nosed Dodges...they look drag-racy just sitting, especially with those slicks on the back...but satin-black...???

I don't know how you guys up there deal with all the rust all the time...building a car from what you have to start with is unreal...good luck.

After seeing your Dodge, I don't think I'll send you any pix of what I got for Christmas...you'll get upset, angry and jealous...!!!

Guess you're never going to get after that 5-window Deuce, eh...???

R-

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Yeah...driven by a chubby Gym teacher with a 2 pack habit...LoL

Moparfest?
    Geezzz...they don't let THAT sort congregate together do they???
    THATS a recipe for disaster! (If you drive a Ford or Chevy! Hahahaha)

Rust? Thats just "tarnish" Roger! :D
    Rust is invisible around here. Makes rockers and floors disappear!!!

I saw two 63's in Moncton last July, one was flat black and I thought they just looked wicked. So much so i decided to buy this one as a quick build to a driver. Satin black will look cleaner than flat but still hide flaws and have that mean look that caught my eye at the Nationals.

I'm at the Deuce...spent over a grand on it since spring! Thats how you build a Deuce!

Seriously though, I'm close to starting the build but it WILL take a couple of years to do right.
    I'm simply thru being without a period car and the 330 will fill the void quickly and cheaply. I'll get to DRIVE to the local meets as well as Moncton.

Deuce? Pfftttt....
    I got me a Dodge now! LOL

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  6. fitzee

fitzee

This is a very interesting car. it was at my shop for over a years and yes it a 4 door and yes it has a six in it but to a guy that works with rust all the time it was a car that could be easily made a driver for very little money. It runs and drives.... or at least it did till Bill got it!!

It is good to see Bill at this.This is better then Bills "other project"!! I am thinking after a summer of cruzen is a old car that the "other project" will be on the chopping block and the 32 will come front and center in the garage. There is a plan here. I been working on Bill to get back at the 32. This car is just baby steps.lol. My plan is working perfectly!!

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

Hey Fitzee why dont you guys come by after Moncton and we can chop the ol Mopar :D:D Good to see you working at something that isnt 4 wheel drive Bill even if it aint the 32 :p

8. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

OK Dad...Hahaha
    I spent today up at it actually but took no pics. Left the camera on the kitchen counter.
    I'm running an S10 rearend, that I already have, to get modern brake parts and a slightly lower ratio for the taller tires. The S10 axle tubes are smaller diameter so I cut the shock mount areas off the original Dodge spring plates and grafted them to the S10 plates. Worked out perfect!
    I needled them and the paint is drying as I type. LOL

Pulled the two broken Dodge springs apart and are they ever a mess!
    NO leaves between the two springs match in length or arch and one even had an extra leaf!
    1 side had actually been tarred between the leaves as it was assembled. What a mess buddy must have been in, putting THAT together!

The S10 mains are close to the right length so I made a little jig to locate the new center bolt holes exactly and have them drilled out and ready to go.

I'll get new bushings and new second leaves at the spring shop Tuesday...along with new U bolts and center bolts. The other S10 leaves I have will work to complete the assemblies...just a bit more measuring and drilling.

Tomorrow I think I'll start on the spring mounting boxes and the shackle mounts. :cool:

9. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

That settles it...I'm gonna leave the Dodge at Chads and get the bus to your place.

Oh wait...that might not be a good idea either!
    Chad's as bad as you or WORSE!!! LOL

10. fitzee

fitzee

I wants him to make a gasser out of it and turn it into a two door. As if he don`t have enough to do now!!

11. koolkemp

koolkemp

Haha Chad is actually at Gene Windfields shop ..flew out yesterday to help him with something for a couple of weeks , lucky bastard!

So are leavinf the" leaning tower of power" in the ol Dodge Bill?

12. koolkemp

koolkemp

Jeeze leave the poor man alone...he might actually have it ready soon if he doesnt have to be on here defending himself from our wisecracks :p

13. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Called out to help Gene...Wow! That IS cool.
    Chads a nice guy. I can see him being friends with anyone...not to mention the imagination and skills he has. Good stuff!

Man...I love a V8...but I think I'll be leaving it for now anyway. The engine seems to run perfectly and supposedly the car pulls well.
    I want to run the PB auto too, so a swap would mean finding a V8 PBA trans. Not so easy on a time limit and a budget!

Maybe I'll make up one of those fancy engine covers like the street Rods have and add a second Valve cover poking out from under.
    Tell everyone its a V12! :D

14. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

A few pics of where i was today.
    Just got a couple and a half hours in.
    Working on the spring boxes today.
    Got them tacked together and ready to drill and match with the sander.

Those are the S10 spring plates with the Dodge shock mount areas grafted on...

Check out the funky spring leaves.
    NOTHING matches between either side!
    Everything is out in the trailer now, ready for a trip to the recyclers.

Hey fitzee...any of those exhaust manifolds good to you???

Attached Files:

• 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      421.7 KB
      Views:
    • 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      412.5 KB
      Views:
    • 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      545.8 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      527.7 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      543.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  15. fitzee

fitzee

Bill your right into it.Makes me want to do the same. After seeing them manifolds I will be.The bottom two are just what I am looking for. You da man.

16. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

EXCELLENT! Knew I kept them for a reason!
    I told you I had some clearance manifolds a while ago and forgot to look.:eek:
    Went out in the shed today to get the steel for the spring boxes and noticed them. Figured I better get a pic right away and let you have a look.

I'll bring them up to your shop Friday when I drop up for lunch...or you can drop up and get them yourself tomorrow or one night the week.
    (Don't forget the coffee...double-double...LOL)

17. fitzee

fitzee

Thanks Bill they will fix my clearance problem. What you get done tonite??

18. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

My son's and I went to a movie! LoL
    Small Popcorn, regular Coke and a Kit kat bar was on special for just $9.95 + tax.
    Don't know how they stay in business selling stuff so cheap! :eek:

19. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Got a few more hours in today.
    Took the main leaves up to the spring shop to get new bushings and a pair of new second leaves. Ordered new U bolts and center bolts etc.
    Should all be ready tomorrow lunch time...so I guess I'll be eating out...if things go fast enough! Hahaha

This afternoon I drilled the bushing holes in the spring box plates out to 3/8" so I could bolt them together with what I had on hand and then sanded them to matching size. Cut the top and front sections out and squared them up...then welded one unit together before getting called away!
    The boxes are (will be!) fully welded inside and out so I can round off the outer edge.
    I'll finish the other tomorrow night, do the grinding/sanding and make a start on the shackle tubes.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      482.9 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      495.6 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      492.1 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      502 KB
      Views:
  20. fitzee

fitzee

Slow down will ya!! Noooo don`t slow down.lol.Looks good. Who welded it for you??lol. I picked up Geoff engine hoist if that counts for progress!!

21. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Shop Gnomes. Place is crawlin' with them!
    Got any traps????

22. fitzee

fitzee

Yes trap them and set them loose in my Shop!!

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lol it must be them who left the argo mix bottles valve open!

24. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Time has been a bit tight with family stuff and also scrapping out a 67 Plymouth Belvedere for parts.
    Lots of good stuff on the Bel including the 8 3/4 with one piece axles. Thats going in my 63 along with the thicker T-bars and some surprising good floor sections for a rust belt car! She's offering sheet metal sections for patches to mine and even gave up her low crowned roof panel to eventually fill the roof on my 5 window.
    Whats an old Ford without some good Mopar added in? ;)
    She's almost completely stripped now and soon i can get back at my 63 full time.

Anyway...heres a few pics of the progress.

1st pic is just adding overlap reinforcements for the box to connector joint.
    2nd shows them welded on.
    3rd is the frame notch.
    4th is a box roughly tacked in to start the alignment process.
    5th shows the boxes in place and the alignment rods...aligning!
    Took a few tries as the pass side rail is/was slightly deformed as the OEM spring brk was twisting the rail due to the rocker being toast.
    It worked out.
    6th shows how well it all aligned with some effort and also shows the one piece rod that passes thru all 4 holes with no resistance. No tightness means no problems.
    I also used the 1 piece rod to measure for squareness to the frame and level. It's fine.
    7th shows how I had to twist the box slightly to align with the other box due to the slightly deformed right rail. It isn't obviously deformed...but it is.
    Not an issue though...
    8th shows the box mostly welded. Some rust repair must be done to the rail flange but that will come when the new floors go in.
    The box is directly welded to the end of the connector. The OEM rail isn't welded to the face of the box yet, just the top sections are.

That will happen Wednesday night as tomorrow night I'll be finishing the 67 Bel teardown...:):)

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      497.1 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      501.4 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      523.4 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      488.2 KB
      Views:
    • 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      513 KB
      Views:
    • 020.jpg
      020.jpg
      File size:
      518.6 KB
      Views:
    • 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      498.6 KB
      Views:
    • 026.jpg
      026.jpg
      File size:
      488.1 KB
      Views:
  25. fitzee

fitzee

Was only wonder how you were making out with this. Like the alignment idea. That`s a cool trick to use. Looks like the front is almost finished. You going to do the rear and get the rear end back in place before you cut the floors above them out??

26. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I'd like to but I don't have much room around the car and its really nice to be able to slide under thru the wheelwells.
    Think I'll leave the springs and axle out till the floor is done.
    Front area is almost done other than the finish plating to blend to the rails and then torque boxes. Gotta wait for the inner rockers before I worry about those! LoL

The Belvedere is all apart now and just gotta make a trip to pick up the big stuff.
    Finally get back at the 63 every night!

27. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Got some of the plating done tonight and welded the ends of the spring pockets to the frame.
    Every little step is a step farther...

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      505.9 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      339.3 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      507.3 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      411.7 KB
      Views:
  28. koolkemp

koolkemp

It already looks more solid and better engineered than when it left the factory ! Nice work Bill !

29. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

A little update...
    The rear spring mounts are completed and so are the thru frame shackle tubes.

I also made a set of shackles as the originals had been braced up with extra plate sometime in the past!
    Not sure on just how she'll sit so I made the shackles stock length plus a bit longer for two additional bolt locations.
    They aren't super long like 70's hi-lift shackles or anything. Just an additional 1 or 2 inches over stock if needed to tune the stance.

For the tubes I cut off the ends of the old leaf springs and welded them up, then made a support from some 2" square tube. Simple and strong.

Time to start cutting floor sections out to repair the inner rockers I guess...:)

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      506.8 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      514.1 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      506 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      464.8 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      497.6 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      504.4 KB
      Views:
  30. fitzee

fitzee

Floors and rockers!! Now your having fun. Bill for some reason i thought the rear rails were bad. they look good.That is a simple setup to build on them dodges. I see why you did it. So floors and rockers done by the weekend!!!LOL