Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Goodguy's Giveaway Car Design Contest - Please Vote!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blackie, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Blackie

Blackie

If it wasn't for Jimmy Smith, Steve Stanford, and me this would be way off topic. BUT, Steve, Jeem and I were all the same page with early Funny Car inspiration with our submissions for the 2012 Goodguy's Giveaway Car Design Competition.

http://www.goodguysgazette.com/contest/2012-design-challenge

PLEASE READ! I think this planet has enough Challenger Pro Touring G-Machine what ever you want to call them. Don't get me wrong, there are some stellar designs there, but please please take a look at where Jimmy's, Steve's and my design are riffing off of. The early floppers like the Ramcharger's Challenger was my particular inspiration. I don't care who wins, but really want one of these three to be it. I love both Jeem's and Steve's and think mine has legs too. Below is my write-up. What ever you do please vote!

Goodguy's Write-up:
    1320 feet. For many in our hobby this distance means everything. Drag racing is a focus that takes ultimate passion to wrench on cars with the intention of going very fast, very straight for that all important number. The quarter mile has been the reason for some of the meanest cars that have ever been built. If you want to get an idea of speed, power, and history stand next to a funny car that was built in the early 70s. Pioneering funny cars of this era such as the Ramchargers’ Challenger was the visual basis behind the design of the Goodguys 2012 Giveaway Car.

Design Approach:
    In stock form the 1970 Challenger is an amazing car. The power that comes from under the hood is expressed in every line on this car. While it would be easy to leave the body alone, the one area of the car that seems weak visually is the placement of the front wheels. If you take a look at the profile of the stock Challenger, you will notice that the car seems very nose-heavy based on this wheel placement. The bulk of the car’s rear helps to balance this, but it is quite noticeable once you really look at it.

While at last year’s California Hot Rod Reunion I was stopped in my tracks when I saw Don Prudhomme’s yellow ‘Cuda funny car for the first time. I had grown up with the Hot Wheels car burned into my brain as a kid and to see it there in front of me is something I will never forget. What makes that car outstanding is the balance of simplicity and power.

I used this influence to pull the key visual pieces to produce a street car that has a balance of proportion and detail in line with those early funny cars. Obviously, the big move to the design is the 6” forward placement of the front wheels. The wheel placement is exaggerated by the T/A scoop that has been moved back 6” toward the windshield. Functional side dumps give a flopper hint and add some visual detail. Other key pieces such as the Team 3 spindle-mount Dragmaster front wheels and Team 3 Fueler rear wheels add to the early 70’s drag car theme. Gold metallic paint with black hood, roof and trunk are a perfect combination of nostalgia and restraint.

This car was designed to try something new by trying something old. Those old drag cars that influenced this design are just plain mean and helped give a feel for what I was after. The Goodguys Giveaway Car is intended to help you remember that one important measure.
    1320 feet.

[​IMG]

The Inspiration:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Ebert

Ebert

3. cal1954

cal1954
    from Omaha, NE

Awesome! I dig it.

4. Oh, HELL YEAH!

Spindle mounts and ETIIIs......I love it!!!!

5. metal man

metal man

6. brandon

brandon

fwiw....they are now offering a spindle mount "style" american 5 spoke like the ones in the ramcharger pic , but in a 5 lug bolt on ......but i really dig the et's.....good looking rendering

7. Trencher

Trencher

Well, I for one LOVE IT! I think the car looks 10x better than factory with the wheel moved forward and the scoop to the rear, and the zoomies fit PERFECT for the feel of the car...Good Luck!

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I got you Blackie!!! Voted for ya and it's not just because just because you asked me buddy. Your shit is top notch!!!

Best of luck E.

9. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I dig the Goodguys Missle! And you are right, I think we have enough "G" cars to hold us for awhile. 1320 it is.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  10. Blackie

Blackie

11. Gator

Gator

I agree with that anyways. :rolleyes:

Sorry, can't 'jump on the bandwagon' on this one.

12. Blackie

Blackie

Thanks JJ!

We need to get Jeem's and Steve's images up here as well! I had a good conversation with Jeem once we saw each others work - I knew we would be tracking the same and was very excited to see his design.

13. metal man

metal man

14. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

you nailed it!! got my vote....

15. das858

das858

Its real cool, hope it will have a stout HEMI in it.

16. dt50chev

dt50chev

That is just plain awesome. Great design for something old and new and different. Can't say I am not envious of your great talent. Just voted for your design.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  17. rick finch

rick finch

Ain't feeling the zoomie exhaust.....everything else is spot on.:cool: (I think
    zoomies on a street car spells poser, sorry.)

18. Nice designs. I also like Allisons. Would be tough to pick one out of those four.

How did Carter get in there twice?

19. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

like it voted

20. This Mr. Finch agrees with you Rick. Function not phony. Fake zoomies, belong with fake Oldsmobile SBC valve covers, but I like the rest of the concept.

21. couverkid

couverkid

Looks great as always eric. You are one talented man.

22. I love the Zoomie idea! Why can't they be functional? and have a functional cut off (cut out?) to the rear exhaust.
    I'm not diggin' the "Poser" comment, too negative. Think outside the box.

23. rick finch

rick finch

Zoomies on RACE cars yes.......zoomies on STREET cars = poser.:D

24. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

did anybody read the design approach??......

Functional side dumps give a flopper hint and add some visual detail.

25. rick finch

rick finch

Yup, I did....just my opinion, I've never have liked them on street cars. Everything else, as I stated before is spot on, I like it!

26. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Just need a QUALITY image of Mr. Stanford's vision.....

•18 or 20 inch Alloway, ETIII style wheels
    •15 inch Real Rodder's Wheels spindle mounts
    •Dow 7 coating
    •Forward wheel arch a few inches forward from stock
    •Rear wheel arch is enlarged to the front a tad
    •Sexy, snorkely scoop laps over windshield for engine set back (at least image of such)
    •Dual chin and decklid spoilers
    •Exhaust box to emulate a stylish zoomie-esque situation
    •Amber colored glass
    •Giant elephant style EFI motor
    •Spartan interior with iPod hookup...no bloody stereo. Small, cheapie Grant wheel, glass buckets
    •Squeegs Kustoms candy paint job.... Burn't red/orange over gold base with faded thumbprint graphiques!

That's it....easy peasy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  27. jangleguy

jangleguy

Eric - Killer treatment on that Mopar! We did a couple, using the same proportional sleight of hand - they clean up nicely (just takes a ton of work).
    I'm using the same wheels on my Altered, so don't start something and steal my thunder, okay?
    I also don't care for street zoomies, but I LOVE moves that make me a believer when I see them and this works beautifully on this concept, in my bloated opinion.
    Another home run!
    Scotty

28. I went on the site and voted for the one I liked best. Good Luck.

29. Blackie

Blackie

Here's a larger version of Jeem's. Love it!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014