Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs kustom cars of australia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RI5KY, Jun 14, 2010.

1. RI5KY

RI5KY

one i found on my computer...

Attached Files:

2. Wardog

Wardog

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My 46 coupe ute. Bought it in boronia about six years ago with body mods done. Chopped 3.5" extended wheelbase and tub (tub is hand made from the doors back). Rounded door corners shaved handels drip rails removed.
    I've sat it on an extended wheelbase hq ute chassis (10"), made an adjustible 4 link with coil overs, bought the diff notch down to tie in with the rear of the body. Pinched the chassis 10" a side under the cowl, fitted a 351 cleveland/FMX and channeled the body 9". Picked up a set of black painted steelies with coker whitewalls this week but don't have any photo's with them on yet.

3. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

It's sure interesting to see what has been done to some of the Australian makes. I may have missed it in the thread but there was some mention that importing American customs to Oz may not be allowed anymore or something to that effect. I'm just curious, what is going on? Does this have to do with the world carbon trading scam/green scheme legislation?.....on a further note, this Merc on the end, the Maroon w/flames one used to belong to my friend Steve from central California. We still love it, but it seems just as happy in it's adopted country where it is equally appreciated. Regards, Gary :)#

Attached Files:

4. You can';t post pics directly linked to your hard drive.
    Love the avatar pic though..

5. billys54

billys54

Love the customs

6. Wardog

Wardog

[​IMG]

Any info on this car would be apreciated. I still don't know who did the chop and extending. The sides are lettered with Steve Towan Furiture Removals under a light coat of white.

7. RI5KY

RI5KY

[[[[[It's sure interesting to see what has been done to some of the Australian makes. I may have missed it in the thread but there was some mention that importing American customs to Oz may not be allowed anymore or something to that effect. I'm just curious, what is going on? Does this have to do with the world carbon trading scam/green scheme legislation?.....on a further note, this Merc on the end, the Maroon w/flames one used to belong to my friend Steve from central California. We still love it, but it seems just as happy in it's adopted country where it is equally appreciated. Regards, Gary ]]]]]]

Yes Gary, the merc is owned by a good mate of mine.. its his pride and joy!
    Yes Canbera ( capital city ) has stopped anything modified being imported into australia unless it can be proved that it was modified pre 89'
    so basicly anything original can be brought in just liek before.. but anything modified.. id not be touching it!

8. Philbilly

Philbilly

Y'all have some cool kustoms down there! Thanks for sharing.

9. toddc

toddc

10. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  11. Gday Guys. Apologies for not quite knowing how to load images and post text with images - I sorta got it figured out.
    Anyhow the first pic is of my FC Coupe and EK Van radical customs taken at my front gate in Waingaro NZ.
    These are both Holdens - Australia's General Motors brand. Holdens although largely Australian designed and built are loosely based on American brands like Pontiac and Chevrolet - so some similarities do exist in terms of styling and even some parts used Holden borrowed from their American cousins.

My Holdens however I have built following American styling cues a lot closer. The 1958 FC series Holden was a four door sedan originally as can bee seen in the second pic with the three cars together. So in short the blue coupe once looked like the red and white sedan...until I spent 5 years restyling it into a two door coupe.
    I was aiming at building the quintessential Mercury lead sled- except from a Holden. I spent many years closely following the American car culture - well before the internet of course by buying every publication I could get my hands on.

I used the Hirohata Merc by Barris as my initial inspiration and pretty much used what ever I could get my hands on. The specs are as follows;
    Roof chopped 4 inches up front, rear of roof chopped around 12 inches using the upper portion of a VW type 3 wagon tailgate for a rear window. Pie cut another 2-3 inches to lower the profile even more. Skirts are hand made from EK wagon roof skin and VW Kombi wheel arches incorporated to simulate the flat wheel arch of the Mercury. I lengthened the doors 6 inches and welded up the rear doors after moving the B pillar backwards an equal amount. Headlight pods are hand made and use EH Holden headlight inserts. Taillights are 1982 Caddy Frenched into hand made pods. The rear bar was hand made from two FC Holden bar components and extended rearwards by 6 inches. The conti kit was hand made from fibreglass ( only 'glass used in the build)

The car is powered by a 202 red six and backed by a Trimatic 3 speed auto and runs soley on LPG (PROPANE)

There are dozens of other major changes - too many to list here. I finished this car in 2001 and its been driven ever since! Of course I made sure it came with me when I migrated to New Zealand.

Im still trying to figure out how to post up here- it keeps kicking me off!

Anyhow I will try and post some more stuff up
    Cheers streetneat-Andrew.

12. The FC Coupe and my unfinished EK van in the back ground The van sports a 350 Chev and 8 inch roof chop - I have aimed at building this Van in Sedan Delivery style - Im not a fan of the high roof styling of the originals with the extra swage line pressings- smooth and mostly gutter less sides for me thanks!

13. [​IMG]

The side profile of the FC Coupe. Colour is Cyan blue and ghost flames. Picture taken at my farm In Waingaro in NZ.

14. [​IMG]

The EK van and FC coupe beside one of my yet to be restored barns... somehow I think the barn will be rebuilt before the cars see much more work!

15. [​IMG]

The interior is leapord skin and caramel vynil. Dash is stock but chromed. Front seats are modified Toyota Celica

16. slick39

slick39
    from dallas ,ga

Really kool lookin cars tks

17. [​IMG]

The rear view of the interior- its pretty cosy back there! Note matching beauty bag and CD case - the wife has a thing for leopard skin...
    Probably the hardest thing with designing building custom cars using other cars for donors is trying to find parts that compliment each other. Getting the rear window to follow the curve of the back seat was a challenge - this influenced how much the car was chopped and what window I eventually had to use. Interior rear courtesy lights are WB Holden Statesman

18. Thanks mate! I ve sorta restrained from posting these up as they have been done to death in Oz websites - but hey if the rest of the world wants to see what we do down under... I dunno if its cool to post your website here but more can be seen via www.streetneat.com

19. [​IMG]

The bum view! NZ artist Darryl McKenzie of Hoon auto gear fame came to OZ and did the flames and 1958 pinup girl. So the car is no known as Miss Lead a play on words as its supposed to be reminiscent of a lead sled and it also misleads most as to what it once was...

20. [​IMG]

The difference between stock and custom can be clearly seen here. Oh yeah - the car was gold when I first finished it ..got sick of the colour real quick so changed it to blue two years later.

21. [​IMG]

Not the clearest of pics as these are scanned photos - but the rear view of the differences between stock and custom.

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

Those are both nice cars but I love sedan deliveries as much as full customs...lets see some more pics of the van please :D

23. Gday koolkemp - thanks for the cudos
    Rather than me fill these pages with my pics of my cars - have a look here for the build up on the van;
    http://gallery.oldholden.com/Streetneat/EK-Van-Chop/
    Its far from finished but does drive and will be a while before I can find time and spare funds to complete it - life sorta gets in the way sometimes!

24. A mate of mine has just finished his FJ Custom. this is how they look standard.
    [​IMG]

and this is how his looks after completion.
    cheers barnsey,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    it runs a toyota hemi.
    [​IMG]

25. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Thanks for all the really great shots of the cars in Australia.

I enjoy seeing how others customize their cars around the world.

Thanks Jimbo

26. greenblood

greenblood

Love the FJ, saw the feature in Street Machine. What a mix of styles

27. Streetneat, i followed your cars in "Street machine" some years back. I forgot you had moved over here. Nice to have you and your cars here.

Barnsey, i remember seeing that in "Street machine", being built in a shed. It was in primer, and its great to see some colour on it.

Heres a pic thats only made it here back on so far. It belongs to KSK in Perth. (hope you dont mind Tony.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. Hmm, haven't seen a lot of these cars for years!
    Guess that's what happens when you move to the other side of the globe....!

what's the story with theblack, EJ based two door in post#69?
    Anyone have more pictures or info?
    Cheers
    Bret

29. Wardog

Wardog

Got the attachment thingy sorted out!

These are a couple of shots I took on the weekend. Have been working on the rear wheel wells, sub floor frame, feul tank mount and tail gate. Next will be cab floors or roll pan and quater ends.

Attached Files: