Register now to get rid of these ads!

new project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billyo1961, Jan 1, 2011.

1. billyo1961

billyo1961

this is new to me, so excuse me if my edquit sucks along with my spelling! a friend turned me onto this and thought it might help with my new 31model-a rat rod project. any positive input would be appreciated.

2. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

You sad the "R" word. Not good
    Post pics, and edit your first post

3. studebakerdave

studebakerdave

did he say the r-- word here? never ever use that word OK things will go a lot smoother for you. I time you will undestand.

4. studebakerdave

studebakerdave

man my spelling sucks I never did learn to type

5. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

traditional hot rod site, no r rods here. please peruse the site and see what these cars look like before you go the r route.

do i smell popcorn?......

6. Kenny P

Kenny P

7. Toner283

Toner283

This ain't gonna end well for you son......

8. studebakerdave

studebakerdave

I'm going to the store to pick-up some popcorn be right back

9. Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

Do an intro post as well.

10. aaggie

aaggie

I always heard that it was a poor mind that only knew one way to spell a word.

11. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

wow, once again you guys have given me that warm fuzzy I come to the HAMB FOR....

12. Kustom292

Kustom292
    from Winnipeg

Sounds cool and I think that it is getting stupid with the Rat Rod thing. Who Cares. If it makes you mad don't read. I look at half the cars that are on the site and they are Rat Rods. It is all in personal perception.

13. LOWLYDE

LOWLYDE

Attached Files:

14. AcadianKid

AcadianKid

If I have learned anything here, its that you don't wanna go spouting off and offending the veterans/Senior Members here. The knowledge and willingness to help is outstanding and is very well respected.

They have guidelines and rules and they are to be respected.... I dont think its in your best interest to go trying to change things just because you think "it is getting stupid with the Rat Rod thing." (Especially with a whopping 9 posts and No intro)

My suggestion would be to read the rules thread 1st, do an intro and keep quiet.

And I know you'll respond back telling me to shut my ass, and thats fine. You probably have all the answers anyway.

This site has been successful thanks to the likes of Ryan and the Senior Members, and REST ASSURED it'll be successful long after you get all butt hurt and leave.....

Now the real question is exactly how will you respond:cool:

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Did we get lucky and he's gone? The New Year is starting to look good already.:cool:

Frank

16. Ebert

Ebert

Hopefully, BOTH of the numbskuls. Happy New Year, Frank!
    E

17. Westerman

Westerman
    from Cincinnati

What kind of help are you looking for? Parts, technical,or general? There are many people here that would love to help you with you traditional hot rod:)

18. Damn! I had my popcorn all ready and now all I hear is crickets chirping.

19. HAAA! I Love your screen name, man!

20. Kustom292

Kustom292
    from Winnipeg

Nope i'm not gone. I did an into and i Think that people are to stuck up to realize that if someone wants to build a traditional car it will at some point look like a rat until they are finished. some stay like that longer then others.

21. 6berry

6berry

maybe since this guy said he cant spell he accidentally type ra- instead of ho- before -t rod. simple mistake:rolleyes:

22. LOWLYDE

LOWLYDE

ha ha ! Thanks Saxman!!! I watched american graffiti one to many times!!

23. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

That must be it.

24. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I don't think it's really that subtle. There are usually some fairly obvious themes and styling cues that differentiate them.

25. Kustom292

Kustom292
    from Winnipeg

What ever at this point. My time could be better spent watching paint dry then trying to hijack a guys thread. I feel sorry for him because he just tried to start something he felt was cool and you all jumped him.

26. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

He sorta has a point that some cars appear a lil "ratty" until they are more complete and take on the traditional look.

My car is neither. A guy called it a ratrod the other day and I told him that RRs do not have $350 shifters

27. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

It's not being stuck up Kustom292...its simply following the guidelines.
    It's also caused by the loose interpretation of just what makes a Rat Rod.

To the public it means one thing...to a traditional Hot Rodder it means something entirely different.

To the public, because of the silly TV shows and the bullshit they spread around etc, a Rat Rod is ANY Hot Rod that wouldn't look at home gleaming on the floor at Barrett-Jackson.

In reality, 75% of what the public calls Rat Rods are anything but...and THATS the problem!

We on the other hand consider Rat Rods to be the absolute lowest quality of car built. Assembled only for shock value, with spikes and...barbed wire...for decoration and maybe a welded chain drag link just to wow the onlookers.
    Flat Paint or lack of paint etc DOESN'T make something a Rat Rod.
    It's build quality that determines Rat Rod or Hot Rod.

We try to build to a certain standard (Not necessarily SHOW quality but nice) and simply see no reason to support cars built purposely to represent the lowest form of car construction. It's like an insult that nobody realizes they're making...yet we should just grin and accept it?

Naaa..I don't think we should.

Show quality is one thing and not everyone needs or wants it.
    NO QUALITY is something entirely different and shouldn't be the goal in a build.

28. Toner283

Toner283

^^ Extremely well said.

The best I have heard it put in one sentence is:

Hot Rods take time & skill, rat rods take neither.

29. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

Well put.

Kustom292 - There are a lot of good people on this site with tons of knowledge and they are all willing to help anyone. The RR thing is not a subject that goes over well here - it's not what the HAMB is about.