Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spray on Chrome..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IrishHills, Oct 28, 2010.

1. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

We'd like to see sample of your new system and more information.

2. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

its a form of PVD or physical vapor deposition, more precisely Sputter deposition now this its Not imposible to reproduce in a basement or backyard shop, BUT its highly unlikely.....:eek:

but if you want to give it a try here is a link of a basic set up to vaccum coat small mirros with alluminum....(warning its not pretty, hek its ugly but works)

After I am done with the easy stuff(building the silvering and finding out a good coat system) I will start working on my own home built Vaccum sputtering system, and if any of you are crazy like me, I will post a easy how to...:)

3. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

How about a Bull...:p

[​IMG]

Yes Please Do tell...You see with help like yours we now know to stay away from Spectra Chrome....now let the beans out....:D

4. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

PLEASE POST YOUR HOW TO with pics and product list!!

5. JBurt

JBurt

Go to this page and scroll down the left side to #18 - Aluminizing. It gives you a basic idea of how to build a system and how it works. This guy is making his own telescope mirrors but you will get the general idea.

NicaMarvin - I love your sense of humor and patience. Keep On Keepin' On.

Oh, and thanks for your hard work and willingness to share.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  6. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

just click on the LINK and it will take you directly to the webpage on a basic how to...

here is also a good read

keep in mind that I have not even start thinking about building one, its complexity its rather high...:eek: but I am sure that you can do anything you set your mind on....:p

I can't give up, I just don't know how to, I hafta keep up, keep it up Joe Dirt style...

EDIT: here are a few links on a Vacuum chamber a guy built from scratch, if you are really determined I am sure you could build one, I know I will give it a try once I get my Spray on Silver System set up and making a few bucks..

here the links of the DIY Vacuum chamber

http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm/Projects/Chamber/First_Coating/page_01.htm

http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm/Projects/Chamber/First_Coating/page_02.htm

and here the youtube video of the finish Chamber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2FhHuFrZrQ

I hope you enjoy them..

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  7. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

I have seen a couple posts responding to Leno's comment about not being able to find someone to chrome pot metal.There may be people around, but they are few and far between.It is not always easy or practical to find shops willing to do this kind of restoration work.I get calls regularly from customers referred by a local dipped chrome operation.These systems are not to replace dipped chrome.They do, however, fill a void in the market.The chrome finish can be applied over a wider variety of substrates and over very large surfaces, which opens up new application potential.
    HotRodHabit's experiences with Spectra Chrome are the norm.Unfortunately, one company can tarnish an entire industry.DO NOT use Spectra Chrome as the standard by which this technique is judged.
    This type of application is becoming more common in OEM settings.It is used in optics and for final finishes in electronics and is starting to be used in more automotive settings.It is starting to take the place of vaccum metallizing in many areas.
    There is no doubt the technololgy will continue to improve over time.If you're interested in the process, call or visit a shop.Look at shows for shops like mine that will be showing some of their work.Find out for yourself firsthand.
    If it's not for you, that's fine.If you have questions, I'd be glad to try to help.
    e-mail- [email protected]

8. Racewriter

Racewriter

Nicamarvin - I've read the silvering instructions that you linked. The one piece of the puzzle that I'm missing - you converted cheap Harbor Freight touch up guns to be silvering guns. Other than attaching them together with a common trigger, what other modifications did you make so that they would work with the silvering chemicals and process?

9. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Thanks shane, you are a team player and I will take your word and ask when I need expert advised...:p

shane I think we could benefit by using Powder coating as that would extend the life of the parts specially on wheel rims, Ala

CalChrome Clear(PVD + Clear powder) http://www.calchrome.com/calchrome_clear.php

I think this is very doable with a coating that could take 380 Degrees F for about 15 minutes, maybe a engine enamel? some say catalyzed urethane could take that heat for that short time

check this guy's patent, I think he is into something but he kept the urethane brand a secret..:(

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2010/0273009.html

I just haven't got time to test this yet..maybe you could and let us know..?

10. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

well I made the cup holding the silver nitrate out of stainless steel because its in contact with the silver nitrate for a longer period of time, but that's about to change, I will be using a home made gravity system that will made out plastic and be hooked up to the guns, the guns are good for about 3 months if you take care of them(washed them with clear water after silvering) then you get your self another pair(real cheap) but that time they have paid them self many times over...:)

Edit:

very soon I'll post pics of my completed system, this one its very very cheap to build

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  11. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ha, ha, ha,!!! That hurt me Duncan.

12. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

well to build a home made system its not that complicated and not that expensive, probably less than 400$ and as you already know the chemicals are not that expensive(angelgilding) but what's taking my time its finding the correct coatings, many many guys have had their heart and dreams broken by faulty coatings, and those coatings come from the so called spray on chrome giants like spectra and others..

here check a heart braking testimonial
    http://www.finishing.com/553/31.shtml

and here a pic of faulty coatings...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I am working hard to NOT find myself in that predicament.. I will let you know of my findings when I find the perfect coating...

13. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

14. Thanks for hijacking my pictures, marvin,:rolleyes:

15. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

hey they are public properties now...:D and you should be proud you are helping people stay away from Spectra Spray on Chrome...;)

16. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Ok guys, finaly I was able to get a decent Camara, this will be a how to of a Silvering Gun on a budget, the gun you see in the bellow pics are about 1 year old, so they need to be replaced now.. :cry: , but the one hand held bracket its where the magic is.. :wink:

for now just pics, soon I will be uploading videos of a fresh set doing its magic... 8)

enjoy
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I will be making a paint drawing of how the bracket works..

let me know what you think...

17. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Ok guys, you saw the DIY Silvering Gun, now its time for the DIY Silvering Formula

I have not tested the formula just jet because the Silvering Gun needs to be updated and I need a new compressor..:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKq39K3fmOY

keep in mind this is a different formula from the Angel Gilding one, I ran out of the chemicals and I had to made my own...:p

compare that with the traditional Tollen's silver mirror test formula and you will see the similarities and the difference..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUX_cpFWNso

let me know what you think...

18. You are quite the mad scientist

Good luck

Sent from my iPod touch using TJJ

19. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

hey check my ¨dipped on chrome¨ chromed spoon....:p its at night with a soft yellow 25 watt light bulb

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

the last one its the gerbert glass container its shown in the youtube video....:D

20. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

if you want to re create the polish aluminum looks of that air plain you need to first chrome painted with a good reflective chrome paint, and then use a water borne clear coat coating as this will reduce the over reflective paint to a more natural polish aluminum looks..

check my chrome painted spoon, the one with the water borne coating its the one that looks more like the polish aluminum looks of the RC Gamma

[​IMG] [​IMG]

thanks..

21. For this fiberglass 57 chevy frontclip we used products from Innate.com: http://innate.com/Paint/Chrome/start2finish.htm

They look great and are applied much like Kosmic Chrome with the shiny black base. Holds up well under their supplied clear.

I personally used and promoted the Spectrachrome system in early 2003 after seing it at 2002 SEMA. I was, well, less than impressed with the performance and durability of that product. I quit using and promoting it very quickly. I gave it my best shot and it did nothing but let me down. If they could only keep the shine after the clear. I no longer recommend that process to anyone....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  22. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Wow.. that realy looks good buddy... close to the real thing, but please don't be discouraged of Spray on Silver systems as silver its as shiny if not more than real chrome, the tricky part its on the base coat and the clear coat that protects the silver and thats were the guys at spectra chrome have missed the mark by a long shot, if and IF I am successful in finding a protective clear coat here in nicaragua my customers should expect their parts to last at least 5 years before the clear begins to fail and the silver starts to tarnish

23. we specialize in spray on chrome. We are located in south florida. Westpalm beach. This is a three stage chroming process, not chrome dipping and are certified to do so... This is a high end mirror like chrome finish that really stands out from the rest. Contact chrome kings at (561) 305-7525

chrome kings

24. [​IMG]

WOW! 1st post does nothing but promote your company......not a good idea here....I smell SPAM.

25. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

its actually a Spray on Silver process not chrome at all..;)

3 stages

1.Base coat(with all the prep need it for SS car paint)

2.Silvering process (don´t be fooled when they say its they use enviromentally friendly chemicals, look at the MSDS for silvering and you will see, Formaldehyde a carcinogen, Hydrazine also a carcinogen and if the mix of those Reducing agents with ammoniacal silver nitrate are not properly disposed can create what´s call fulminating silver or silver nitrite an explosive. this is from the wiki ¨Silver nitride is often produced inadvertently during laboratory experiments involving silver compounds and ammonia, leading to surprise detonations¨)

3. Protective Clear Coat that will protect the silver from tarnishing for afew years...

let me know if you have any questions...:cool:

26. Ratfink59

Ratfink59
    from Dallas, TX

I was just made aware of this thread. First of all, I'm asking that any moderators that are viewing this remove my info from this thread as I didn't give anyone permission to post my info nor my PM. This was sent as a PM on a different forum for a reason.

Just to set the record straight, everything on my website was done with 100% Spectrachrome chemicals. From base coat to top coat. I run a business and obviously if I can find cheaper alternatives than what I'm using I'm going to be more profitable. I did have a couple bad cans of base and clear but it seems like that's just what it was and were replaced.

I had one incident where a job I did had poor adhesion between the silver and the basecoat, I figured that problem out and found it to be on my end. When people call me I explain to them that this is NOT traditional chrome by any means but a cheaper alternative.

It works and I have plenty of business, I was trying to help people out and this is what I get, a personal message posted on a forum making me look like a jerk to all spray chrome manufacturers. good luck.

27. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Sorry Sir, I do Thank you for your help, and I do not think you are a jerk, But Please there is no need to be apologizing for the crapy products of Spectra Chrome, many good guys have lost thousands of dollars with the spectra system...:(

here check this link on how guys that have used and spent money on spectra chrome think of it
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Sunnychristy40

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  28. obert

obert
    from Canada

MARVIN: BEEN FOLLOWING YOUR THREAD HERE. INTERESTING. Yesterday on "how it is made" there was a segment on vinyl record making. Apparently the masters are made by a similar process as yours. Check the website to see the segment. It may hold a clue to help your search quality performance. Also some interesting posts regarding aluminum preservation on this site, search under "spray chrome". Good luck

29. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Thanks, buddy I actually got the idea from watching how silver mirrors where made...chek how simple the silvering equipment looks in this youtube video where they mak the master, Simple uh?

well I will be finishing a simmilar simple set up like that soon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8DHvM_ovAQ&feature=related

and a pic of the guys silvering with a pressure tank(cleaner air)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  30. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Here a new pair of chromed finished mexican made Detail guns(10 dollars each) with the same braket, but this time the braket was Chromed...:D

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I try to shoot a video of this baby working ASAP..:eek: the bluish tint is just the lighting seting of the camara