Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Best Dry Lake Styled 1927 T roadster built in 60 years!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Dec 27, 2010.

1. lazyv8

lazyv8

saw the car yesterday at roys.. they actually started working on it..they do have an offy in the works but im pretty sure its for a modified project..i think the plans for the t roadster are still for the ardun 60.

2. daddio211

daddio211

Ardun...Offy...Ardun...Offy...Ardun...Offy...Ardun...Offy...Ardun...Offy...Ardun...Offy...Ardun...Offy...Ardun...Offy...Ardun...Offy...Ardun...Offy...Ardun...Offy...

I'm so confused!!!

3. rodncustom

rodncustom

I asked John today and he said the Ardun V8 60 and will be done for the GNRS next January(2012).

4. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

I am around Firestone tires alot and can say for positive that in the pictures with the steelie wheels the fronts are 450/475-16 and the rears are 750-16. Firestone 16" tires are only available with matching tread and piecrust sides in:

- 450/475 (they are sized just like that on the sidewall)

There are some 550's available with a similar, yet totally different tread.

I think the car looks WAY better with the solids and caps. Of course, I'm not a fan of any of the retro Halibrand styled wheels available these days. I figure if a guy wants Halibrand's, he should find Halibrand's. I also completely agree with Neal on the axle. If they are going to all the expense of running an ARDUN 60 and other big money vintage goodies the least they could do is run a dropped original axle and original spindles with intergral steering arms. New axles and spindles with bolt-on steering arms look like exactly that. To me, the new catalog shit on a car like this puts it into the "close, but not quite" catagory.

5. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

like a false quickchange or a push up bra - they look good from a distance, but when you get up real close.......

6. daddio211

daddio211

Wait... what's wrong with a push up bra?

7. hollenbeck32

hollenbeck32

I was at Roy's this week and asked about the OFFY , he told me it was for another 27 project that hasn't been started yet.. as far as i know the one that was on the table is still getting the V8 60 ARDUN ..

8. I thought the term was timed instead of clocked. Are there two different terms that have different meaning?

9. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

Miller must not have been listening when we stepped over two sets of Ardun V8 60 heads at John Mumford's garage, see post #40.

At Roy's we were told that the '27 will be getting the Ardun engine. This car was the one that sat at So Cal for many years. I am sure it will be done right.

DW

10. Yes, Deucemac, that is Freddie Lobello. That was supposedly at Bonneville and I believe it was 1950.

Fred had planned to come with me to the Grand Nats in Pomona, but he was unable to tie everything down and make the trip. It would have been awesome to get his perspective on the cars there, to appreciate what he knows so well. He's probably forgotten more about hot rods than I'll ever know.

11. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Jimmy, That car needs to only have the V8-60 Ardun in it ! Nothing like a flattie with Ardun conversion !

Dave

12. Any updates on this?

13. 22 track

22 track

Hot Rod Magazine has a story on this car in the December 2011 issue, pages 16 and 17.

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I understand there were about 50 sets of the V8-60 ARDUN conversions made and probably some number of valve covers and spare parts inccluding head castings but the real truth is out there somewhere or lost to history.
    We had a set on display on a block at Specialized Auto Parts for some years during the 70s-80s. And a couple big ARDUN engines and sets of heads and parts and the Moller-Adams OHV V8 including head and other part casting moulds and machining jigs from the CIty of Burbank streamliner.
    All cast to the winds over the years of course. The Moller-Adams is in SPeedy Bill's Museum.

16. dawford

dawford

This thread is about a year old, but it is the first time I have seen it.

I just wanted to comment that though I have not heard a V8 60 Ardun I have heard many Offies And I do not know of any engine that sounds any better than they do.

I also am reasonably sure that an Offy would make a better street engine if detuned for that purpose.

Anyway I love the look of the Dry Lake Styled 1927 T roadster in the first picture of this thread.

Dick :) :) :)

17. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

18. Wow, last post was exactly one year ago.

Really great article on the Brown/Mumford T roadster in #56 The Rodders Journal, great to get the story from the beginning to now. I look forward to the unveiling at GNRS.

Lars, different cars that is the Jim "Jazzy" Nelson roadster when owned by LeRoy Titus. Pictured below is how Chuck Sarno restored it to its original Jazzy Nelson livery.

[​IMG]

19. Normbc9

Normbc9

Some of the Lakes buildups on the T body were really amazing and the work was truly an eye catcher. Records or not some pretty nice work shows up at El Mirage, Bonnevillle and other popular long run Salt Flat courses.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

20. Cant wait to see the Mumford T finished. When we were in the States in August we called by Roy's shop and the car had only really just returned from The Rodders Journal where they did the bare metal photo shoot. Its a neat looking car and a neat story.

21. Saw this on the HOT ROD website.

[​IMG]

EVL401 likes this.
  22. stephane-rod

stephane-rod
    from france

:eek: it was beautiful this one :cool: