Register now to get rid of these ads!

a simple request of simple teaching (welding and metal shaping)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskoolflyer13, Dec 30, 2010.

1. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

I know things like this get posted here and there...some with mixed responses. Here it goes.. I'm looking for some hands on experience in welding and metal shaping as I don't know a lot in these two areas. I'm not looking to do this to make profits...for my use and my use only, and maybe one day when I'm experienced enough I can pass along the same. I'm not looking for a job...just knowledge. Im willing to help with what ever in trade for teachings, and willing to pay for materials and supplies used. I live in Fayetteville NC and am willing to travel within reasonable distance.

My mechanical background: 10yrs experience in aircraft pneudraulics, I know shop safety, shop practices, some arc and oxycetaline welding experience in high school..but have forgotten most. I just got out of the military not to long ago as a SSG (E-6) after ten years of service.

Im not trying to catch a lot of flak like a B-17 bomber over WWII Europe for posting this....just looking to learn. Im doing this for me and for my grandfather, whom was told that what I did with old cars was because of his influences...I assure that my intentions are good and not to take business away from someone.

I would go to school for welding, but the only welding course around here sucks and I would have to wait till fall of 2011 to start on top of that.

2. indyjps

indyjps

You got the right approach. Being in NC you might approach some of the race shops in your area, Its not traditional but the fabricators there are some of the best.

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I think you could log in to metal meet, and make some new friends. There is a section for beginners, I'd start there.

4. aaggie

aaggie

Check out the local Community College for welding programs. Most have pretty good classes and are reasonably priced.

5. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

As much as I've heard people talking about it...the thought never crossed my mind. Seems like ive gotten kinda one tracked with the HAMB lately

6. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

When I was a kid I read magazines and books and did whatever I could with what was available. If something in the neighborhood was being built, repaired or restore I was there watching and asking questions. In my teens I bought arc welder and a couple decent books and thought myself how to weld. Then I bought a gas welding set-up and taught myself how to how gas weld and braze. Then I got a job working in a shop that had a cheap TIG welder. I was the only one who could weld at all, so I gave myself some TIG lessons and was the shop's welder. With no one around to correct me I learned some bad habits and didn't learn some things too. Although I got good enough on my own to get paid for welding and fabricating, when I eventually started working around good welders and experienced fabricators I learned a lot more than I might have ever learned on my own. So, based on my experience you can teach yourself, but you will learn a lot more, and a lot faster, if you are exposed to and guided by people who know things you don't.

7. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

I read up a lot on things...and try my best to repeat what i see. I know i can self teach myself, as I've made it through challenging schools in the army and can do what i set out to do. But finding someone around this area to share knowledge seems to be a bit scarce. Hot rodding in this town is limited....those that are semi traditional and kinda organized seem to be pretty much a click of special force's guys.....other than that....I'm surrounded by ricer's and "donk" cars in this town. Which is why I've asked on here.

8. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

I'm even willing to drive 4-5 hours a handful of times a month to learn. I'm dedicated and will prove that. I have two projects to start (a lakes styled sport coupe, and a one man modified), and one day I will build a belly tanker...and who knows what else. Just need the tools of knowledge

9. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I'll second the Metalmeet, that has helped me more than any thing.

10. Buff

Buff

Try metalmeet.com that is where I learned with alot of practice and going to metalmeets. The hard part is if you learn something but don't own the tools you will lose the experience within a few months.

I could show you some stuff, I have an english wheel, Planishing hammer, tig and mig welder, multiple hammers, slappers, and dollys and assorted metalshaping stuff.

But my space is limited in my garage and I am still in 122 so you know I don't have alot of time off.

Buff
    (you know me)

11. I gotta think that being in NASCAR country, maybe you should not be looking for Hot Rodders but talented fabricators in the NASCAR racing world that can teach you the basics. The metal doesn't know what it is going on!
    There is also Fayetteville Tech http://www.faytechcc.edu/ that even has military aid
    Or how about a race car fabrication school like this? http://www.hedgecockracing.com/index_2.php

12. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Buff can help you more than you think! Have some fun, make some parts! tt

13. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Slowly but surely Im getting the tools of the trade....planishing hammer next month...got a few hammers, a bead roller, other randomness....gotta go home and get my drill press, lathe, and other misc tools too.

I hear ya on garage space...re-organizing mine, and setting up benches.

Any help your willing to give would be appreciated....dont know if your number is the same..or if I have it for that matter:cool:

14. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

If i could expand upon the topic (i'm in a similar situation), would you recommend comm college over private school or vise-versa? i noticed that the prices are about the same and similar curriculum.

i'm not nessesarily talking about instructional quality etc., but more so which might be better as far as ease to gain certifications/paperwork etc? The private schools are state accredited.

To oldskool---there's no other private schools around your area?

15. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Im sure there are private schools near by....but problem with that is whether they accept the G.I. Bill.....I was trying to hold onto that for a degree in mechanical engineering

16. Get out in the garage a practice. Some really neat stuff has been bashed out with a leather bag, wood stump bowl, some hammers and what not. It certainly doesn't need to be high tech to learn how metal is going to move around.
    Sure some direction helps, but practice makes perfect. Go to some old junkyards, and see if you can buy some wreaked old fenders, whatever, and pound away on them.
    I took a Ron Covell class on weekend, it was amazing to watch him move metal around with what he could UPS to the shop for the class....
    Agree on the Metal Meet forum as well.

17. 5,350 Posts? When do you have time to work in the garage? : )

18. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

You don't need to spend a small fortune on tools to get started. You don't have to have a lot of tools to shape metal. I teach metalshaping and body restoration at Colchester Institute here in the UK where I teach methods of making panels and shaping metal that have been used for generations by old world craftsmen. I don't recommend that you take a welding course to learn how to weld panels either. That may sound controversial but welding plate for fabrication is a totally different skill.
    I have some you tube footage showing some of the methods I use and the results.

David

19. David,

What beginner's tools would you recommend? I have a line on a nice stump of hardwood, but could use some advice on hammers/dollies!

thanks, Bill

20. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

I cant even find a good stump....post on craigslist looking for something like that and no one takes it serious....guess I just need to stop and ask when I see that stuff.

21. skidsteer

skidsteer

22. in my town there is a recycling place that takes trees, wood, pallets, etc, grinds it up into all different sorts of landscaping material. All the stumps too big to grind are in a pile off to the side. The guys that work there can tell you what kind of wood they're looking at without fail.

I'd bet there is something similar near you.

23. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

The teaching is just a start toward being a proficient weldor. It takes lots of practice even after you have the theory part memorized. And practice with a good weldor showing you the dos and don'ts really helps, practice doing it wrong doesn't really count. I learned on stick wedlers, nowdays half the fabricators have never used one. The wire feeds are a lot easier and more stupid proof but I still use the stick welder for heavier stuff and critical components.

24. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

OK in my opinion, for a start if you are serious about learning metalshaping you are going to find it hard to get a metal finish using mig. I know that some people are going to chime in and say mig is best but I strongly advise that you use gas welding. I use gas welding for most of the joints I do. Tig is another option which some people prefer, gas or tig are fine. Mig will give you a hard weld that needs grinding and is just about impossible to metal finish. If you want to join ally panels use gas welding only, tig will crack.

As for tools the first tools you should get are dependant on what you intend to make, if you are going to make high crown panels then a stump or a sandbag and a hollowing hammer. For lower crown panels blocking hammers are good. (I will post up some links when I get a chance if you are interested.) Many tools can be made quite simply. Below is a photo of me using a home made flipper to smooth a panel. The panel was made entirely using hand tools.

[​IMG]

Here are a couple of samples of other repair sections made using only hand tools.

[​IMG]

I did not use a wheeling machine, shrinker stretcher or any other machine to create these sections. I show some of these techniques briefly on my youtube footage. (click the link below.)

David

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  25. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

[​IMG]
    Here is a sample of gas welding, You can see that the technique I teach gives you a very even HAZ (heat effected zone). This is important because distortion is caused not so much by the amount of heat that goes into the weld but how even that heat is. To explain - if you heat a piece of steel it expands as it cools it contracts beyond its original state (shrinks) so if a welded joint is heated more in one place than another it will expand more in one place than another and contract more in one place than another, this is what causes distortion. The welding technique that I teach can be used with tig or gas and is easier to learn than mig welding- I have taught a lot of people over the last twenty five years or so. Been doing this more than thirty years.

David

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  26. oj

oj

Too bad you are so far away, you could run amok in my shop for a while and maybe figure out a thing or two. Also go to 'All Metalshaping.com' (David, the post above this one is on there often) lots of talented metalmen on there and maybe one closer to you.
    oj

27. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Here is a sample of a repair to a model 'A' wing (fender) done using gas welding

[​IMG]
    David

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  28. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Oh and hello OJ!

David

29. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

This is really good info, not only for me but for others in similar shoes. Definitely well appreciated....if your willing to share more....my ears and eyes are wide open. Thanks for the help and the links David

30. oldblu65

oldblu65
    from Tennessee