Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Big weekend ahead, need opinions!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xmlc216x, Dec 29, 2010.

1. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

So being a brand new engineer, I have basically no vacation and not a lot of time during the week for my truck project. I can get big things done step by step or small things finished up most of the time... but since I'll have a 3 day weekend for new year's I'm planning on relieving some height issues from the roof. I've seen a lot of these trucks chopped, and I know I like it and I'm going to do it.... but, what I don't know is how much to take out?

So far I think I've got it narrowed down to a 3-4 inch chop without leaning the posts and relocating the rear window without cutting it (or cutting very little out of it).... Well 3-4 inches is a start, but when it comes time to start cutting I have to decide!

So here's what I want from you:
    -your opinion on details of the chop
    -any pictures you have that you can tell me how much it was chopped
    -any photoshop that you think could be halfway accurate as far as amount chopped

and any other comments, ideas, rants, donations, tools, etc. are welcome haha

oh yeah here are two pics of the truck for any of you photochoppers.... sorry for the crappy pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

3. I just finished a 49. I am not big on chopping AD's. But if you must don't go to the extreme. Use the KISS rule. Where did you go to School? MSU or O'lMiss

4. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

MSU... and it'll be 3-4 inches and no more. Don't like the laid back post look on this kind of truck and I think keeping the rear window larger will keep it from looking pancaked

5. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

I'm thinking 3.5 inch chop, move the back window down to the beltline and only take an inch or so out of it to match the height of the side windows. Lean the posts slightly while adding a thin strip across the roof so I don't have to lay them back much.

Anyone else got comments or ideas?

6. fitzee

fitzee

Not a lover of the laid back window. which ever way you do it it will be a pile of work. One you have pieces to add to the roof and the other you will have to get into the base of the front window. Did a search and found these. first two laid back and second are not. I like the second two chops. The laid back look don`t flow nice

Attached Files:

7. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

I'm thinking for it to flow right on the '54 (curved window) it's going to have to lay back a little bit, while splitting the roof and adding a strip at the same time... I guess I'll know what it needs this weekend haha

8. If you chop the top then the body looks too big, need to do something with the hood. I can't remember the name of the mod, but I have seen it a couple of time on these trucks. It's like wedge cutting the front of the hood so it flows down, so it's not so bulbous, more flow.

9. I'm thinking that 3" is about all you can do without a donar roof. You'll probably have to lean the windshield bad a bit that is common to any chop on a round roof but it should be noticable unless you are next to a stocker. One thing about the lean is that it looks less like a turret on an M-I tank if you lean them a skosh.

I'm real big on mild chop on about anything if you chop at all. I personally like the less is more approach most of the time.

10. Checkout the silver slipper. I believe it was built by 51gringo here on the HAMB. That chop is perfect!!

11. Good luck! Go Dogs class of 1980.

12. Mildsteel

Mildsteel
    from VALE N.C.

Pump the gas turn the key and fire it upo and go!.

13. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

That is extra work, find a donor with a similar room profile but larger area, cut around the edges and weld a solid piece in. That's what Gene Winfield told us at his seminar. make a cardboard template to get the fore/aft and left/right curve, and hit the salvage lot. easier to weld, metal finish in the long run.

edit:

An English wheel would make the search shorter, get a neon roof and massage slightly to fit, they have alot of potential and are easy/ cheap to cut up.

GO BLUE!

14. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

"need to do something with the hood. I can't remember the name of the mod, but I have seen it a couple of time on these trucks."

Pancake ? looks strange when typed... but I think that is what you mean

15. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

When I'm done the proportions should look great... I'm going by the fender/hood height relationship and making the hood/rooftop height relationship equal.... Not touching the hood or fenders because that's what I love so much about these trucks...

It'll end up being 3-3.5 in the end and I don't have a donor roof. Just going to massage metal to fit as needed and learn as I'm going. Might look horrible, but we'll just have to wait and see...

That truck is beautiful, but I feel like the 54 and early 55 has to be handled a little differently with the curved glass. Chop proportions change a little bit.

Thanks! We'll see how they do against Michigan very soon!

What? ...FNG

Don't have the time or resources to go looking for donors right now... I'll get it shaped up right :D

Oh and this is me ringing my imaginary cowbell :cool: cuz blue is going down! haha

16. schwerko

schwerko
    from bristol ct

It's not the same body style, but I chopped mine 3'' and just lowered the back window also, most people dont even notice the chop. it looks factory.
    <CITE>blog.hemmings.com/.../a-real-bob-evans-hot-rod-down-on-the-farm-grain- truck-becomes-most-unexpected-hot-rod</CITE>

17. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Looks great man!

18. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

If anyone was wondering what 3 in back 3.5 in front looks like here ya go:

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

19. chaddilac

chaddilac

20. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Thanks! I'm quite satisfied with how it's coming along...