Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which cam for a 283?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gizzy, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Okay...I know I'm gonna open a can of worms but here goes.I've got a stock rebuilt 283 with small (194) 327 dbl. hump heads.I just wanna wake it up alittle & get a nice sounding lope to it.Not really wanting to make alot of hp just a reliable small-block.What cam are some of you 283 guys using?

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Duntov 30/30 or something comparable.

3. Or L-79 ( 350 HP 327) if you want to go hydraulic. You can by either new from Crane its called a blueprint cam, ground from the original GM blueprints.

Anyway both are great street cams.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. Stink63

Stink63
    from coumbus,Oh

currently running a lunati voodoo street cam in my 283, good sound and fantastic midrange torque

why this cam?? I got it for 40.00 brand new with lifters....

5. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

6. indyjps

indyjps

Auto or Stick? rearend gears?
    probably dont want anything radical enough to effect power brakes / vacuum

7. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

auto w/factory posi rear.

8. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

This might be what I'm looking for.

9. burnout2614

burnout2614

The L79 will sound awesome in that 283. For a 'street car' the best sounding/running cam I have ever run. peace

LOU WELLS likes this.
  10. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

The L 79 cam is a great cam... BUT combined with a tight (stock converter) and the wrong gears might not be the best choice. You need to take a look at your entire package compression, stall, and rear gears. I've seen more than a few guys over cam their engines thinking its cool to have a lopey mean sounding engine but its not as cool when a kid on a bicycle can out run you for half a block.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  11. The L-79 makes torque from 2K-5200. You can move the torque curve down by advancing it. Doesn't need a high stall converter they came in automatic cars as well as stick cars.

The cam works well in a 283 with streetable compression. No adjusted stall converter needed. Mild lope and good flat torque curve.

12. Deuces

Deuces

65cc heads on a 283 don't sound right fellas! That 283 have popups?? If not, your gonna need heads with 57-58cc's to get some compression... I'd go with a pair of mid '70's 305 4-bbl heads.... I'm ready.. Popcorn anyone???

13. I don't have anything against 305 heads they are also a fair choice for a 283.

14. coupemerc

coupemerc

Have you put the heads on the shortblock yet? I found that my 461 "camel bump" heads had combustion chambers that overhang the bore on my 283 (3.905 bore). Not a preferred situation. I switched to the 520 castings with the smaller chambers. FWIW, I'm using a comp 280H advanced 4 degrees in my motor.

15. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

When I built my 283, I put a set of flat tops in it, used 76cc 350 heads, with 1.94 intake and 1.50 exh valves, steel crank and this cam:
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K1104/
    it ran great with a performer intake and holley 600 cfm carb and stock ram horn exhaust..
    in a early 60's shoebox nova.

16. Deuces

Deuces

Bingo!!! Always check for chamber overhang if you want to bolt on large chamber heads on a small bore block!! It's easy to do... Just bolt on a head with a gasket in between on a bare block and flip the motor around on your engine stand and take a peek. If the combustion chambers overhang the bore, then you know not to use those heads.. I always scribed the head around the edge of the cylinder bore while it was bolted on the block.. I did that for two reasons.. one to check for chamber overhang and two, to see how far I could unshroud the area of the combustion chamber around the intake valve...

17. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Thats part of what i was concerned about without knowing the specifics, I would have to assume compression ratio would be pretty low (likely well under 9/1probably) that combined with stock converter and possibly a 3.0 gear( OP never stated his gear ratio) IMO wouldnt be a great combination for a L79 cam in a heavy car.

falcongeorge likes this.
  18. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Keep in mind that a mild cam profile for a larger engine equates to a more aggressive cam for smaller cubes. I put in a mild cam(basically what would be considered an RV cam-can't recall specs) for a 350 cu. in. in a 283 I put together several years ago along with home-ported 305 heads. Had a good lopey idle to it. Would've screamed had I had better gears in it. Kinda had to get it up past 3000rpm to get it going though, more than likely due to my inexperience with trying to improve flow on the truck 305 heads.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  19. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

They are the '461 csating number heads alright.Sounds like I may have a problem here.

20. Deuces

Deuces

I believe those are the 64cc heads...

21. Abomb

Abomb

I'm going with a Comp high energy 268H or extreme energy 262. You get some lope and some usable power. For a mild engine, even the little Thumpr looks like too much cam to me, probably sounds great, but I want my car to run like it sounds. I'm weird like that though.....

22. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Worse possible choice for a 283 is the Duntov .030/.030 It was an almost horrible cam for the 327 it came in origonally. It requires a minimum of at least 3.73 gears (4.11's prefered) and the gas milage is horrible. If clattering lifters and the ability to eat a hot dog and down a root beer from a stop until the time it gets to the first shift point with an automatic turns you on .......go for it. The 350 hp hydraulic that was used in the 327 at the some time is head and shoulders above the .030/.030.
    Someone mentioned the Comp cams 268 hydraulic and I concur. It is or was the most popular street cam that Comp sold for a small block. i've installed at least 20 of them and never had a complaint with almost all experiencing a gain in milage and torque (torque is what moves a car not hp) and it's got a nice idle when idled down for an automatic.

Frank

23. Deuces

Deuces

Naaaa... You ain't weird.. Your like the rest of us "normal" folks.. :D

24. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I would agree too that either of those(268 or 262) cams would be a better choice.

25. Some more important qns:

What car is the engine going in?
    What trans?
    What gearing?
    What s the engine's CR?

I ran a Summit #1102 in my 283. I added the HO305 heads for a CR of about 9.5:1. Stock Glide, convertor and 3.36 rear gears.

Sounded great, pulled well for a heavy car with a cast iron Glide and ran like a champ, day in day out. All in all a well matched combo.

You should know all your variables before you pick a cam....otherwise you will be disappointed with your choice, esp in a daily driver.

Just my exp.

Rat

26. tom-s

tom-s

27. butch

butch
    from Michigan

327ci 350 hp cant go wroung

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Duntov 30/30. it works ESPECIALLY well with the HAMB obligitory 3.08's and 30" tire...:rolleyes:

D-Russ and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  29. aaggie

aaggie

I tested a lot of camshaft combos back in the '60s when the 238 was still new and considered a hot setup. The one constant is that that engine makes almost no torque at anything under 3000RPM. Every cam I tried performed best on the street with an 8# advanced bushing in the cam gear. If I remember my favorite was the 30/30 Duntov and it would start pulling around 2000RPM and run to redline quickly. Yes, I know adjusting valves on a running and hot engine is a pain but with Posilocs and a modified valve cover it is acceptable.

30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

@tom-s
    Keep in mind George has the answers on this subject, this particular one is not to be taken seriously as he likes to make light of (misinformation). Am I right on this George?
    The Duntov 30-30 camshaft (solid lifter) and equivalents are best matched to engines with more compression than your engine no doubt has.
    As @butch and @porknbeaner said; the 327/350 h.p. cam (hydraulic) is a fairly good choice even though that particular engine came from the factory with 11 to 1 compression.
    As many have mentioned, look up the term "blueprint series" camshafts, many cam companies are making equivalents of the popular small block hi-performance cams from the 60's. Pay close attention to any highlight notes they reference about each cam.
    If you plan on keeping the rearend gears(3.08's) that your powerglide equipped Nova came with; you DO NOT want to go too crazy on camshaft selection.
    Purely out of curiosity, what is the block number on your Nova engine?

falcongeorge likes this.