Register now to get rid of these ads!

lakes modified frame question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskoolflyer13, Dec 29, 2010.

1. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

A little pre-question info. I will have a '29 "A" chassis laying around after the sport coupe body comes off of it. Was gonna sell the chassis, but got a idea to build a lakes modified using the chassis thats on hand. I realize it will take some reworking to fit it under a slender body. I have a '29 Ford Murray cowl that I acquired and plan to section down to a one seater (think the body lines will add a little flare to the deal).

We all know the stock "A" chassis is 103''....and I know a lot depends on how long the body is etc. Whats a good wheel base for a lakes modified? Looking for feedback from guys who have built a few...or have been around them. Really arent any "modified" build threads on here

2. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

there are a few Modified threads on here, one really good one.

I think my wheel base is around 100. with a modified you will need to cut the rear frame and kick it so the length of the factory chassis is not important, you will have to cut and weld

3. landspeedrich

landspeedrich

I'm using some32 rails that have been pinched at the cowl and cut off at the rear of the body.My wheelbase with be at 95 to 96 inches.Using a Winters QC at the rear and 40Ford 2" drop front axle with leaf up front.Rich

4. casper

casper

Mine is 98" (look at the pictures in my album)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

5. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

was already figuring I would have to cut and weld....been looking at stock frame dimensions and trying to figure it out on paper. Really wasnt sure what a rough wheel base should be.

Boones, you got a link to that thread?

6. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

any pics?

7. landspeedrich

landspeedrich

Oldskool
    I'm out of town right now(Philly)Will not be back until Sunday.But let me see if I can get into my at work email box,to try and post a few pics.I did widened the cowl 4" to get a little more foot room,which helped the frame pinching.
    By the way,the P-38 avatar is great!My favorites airplane ever.I'm an old A&P mechanic an really like the warbirds.Let me see what I can do about some pics before the weekend.Thanks, Rich:)

8. I used a 1919 Dodge frame and made the wheelbase around 100 inches. I like the looks of the "3 springer"....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. oj

oj

Might want to check out scootermcrads' modfied build, he has a sedan body but there's some good pics of his chassis.

10. saucerhead

saucerhead

My car and avatar has a 99 inch wheelbase. It can be seen on the cover and featured in the April Street Rodder mag. It had a 12 inch kick up.

11. oj

oj

Congrats Saucerhead. You got any chassis pics?

12. 40coupefan

40coupefan
    from Trumann,AR

nostalgia59, several years ago I saw your lil' green roadster in a video by a dude, Wolverine Video, you were parked next to a speedster owned by Pete Eastwood. I must have looked at that video a hundred times to see that car. I would rewind and watch it again, I love the way it sits up high, with the gas tank mounted low. Can you post any more photos?

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I think you'll find that the most aesthetically pleasing mods have a wheelbase somewhere around a 100". If your going to narrow a body (used mainly for what they call a "one man modified" a shorter wheel base sometimes works out better. A search should turn up a treasure trove of pictures and information as Modifieds have been discussed here a bunch of times.

Frank

14. You can build the body to fit the frame or build the frame to fit the body. Since you have to fit in the body it makes sense to do that first. When you have the body length and width firmed up you can fiddle around with the other major components until you have an aesthetically and mechanically satisfactory arrangement. If you take this approach the correct wheel base for your particular combination of components will reveal itself.

15. 40coupefan I never got a copy of that video... Here is a pic of the car after the first Muroc reunion....

[​IMG]

16. designs that work

designs that work

My Avatar has a 96 inch wheel base. You should make a few decisions about your build before starting on the frame. Are you going to use the model front cross member stock front spring location? Cut the cross member out and use a suicide spring mount. Where you want the front wheels in relation to the radiator shell. Not trying to be a smart ass, but a few drawings, some what to scale really help, tire sizes and location, channeled or body on top of frame. A few pics of mine.

17. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

This is precisely the kinda info I'm looking for. Not something to copy, but general info....North Carolina doesn't have many one man modifieds to look at.

Any "one man modified" pic threads on here?

18. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Hey! Don't be dissin us NC modified folks....:D

19. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

I really dig the modified you have as your avatar.....Ive seen it at Lowes Motor speedway a few times. I really didnt get a good chance to look at it last time i was there though....made a mental note to go back to certain vehicles....but was suffering from swap meet depression. Whats the wheel base on that beauty?

20. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

21. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Thanks rich.....now i have a good visual perspective.:cool:

22. daredevilcustoms

daredevilcustoms
    from Ohio

nostalgia59 is the front of the body a 26/27 and the rear an earlier model 23/25? Was it intended or just parts laying around. Would enjoy seeing more. Thanks

23. I bought a 27 touring with no doors and used it. Had to hand fab the rear panel and fill in the wheelwell...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  24. daredevilcustoms

daredevilcustoms
    from Ohio

got it, normally see the front half of the touring not the rear quarters used. Looks great. Thanks

25. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Definitely not taken in a smart ass sense. I'm a firm believer in putting things on paper. I keep a sketch pad close to my "thinking/stinking spot" (sometimes the best ideas are conceived there):eek:.

26. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

On this subject, it was said to me....people throw answers out there on this subject...then get really quiet about it. I wish more people had posted more about there builds....these are interesting cars, and part of that great heritage of years passed by.....please post those pics of "one man" and ?"two man"? modifieds and maybe some during the build process.

27. designs that work

designs that work

As you asked for a couple construction photos..

28. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

I built my lakes modified from the ground up. 32 rails that I flattened and pinched to 18 inches wide at the front. The body is a 28/29 that I have narrowed the grill 5 inches and the cowel 3 inches, I lengthen the doors 1 inch and made them fit flush. I lengthened the rear qtr panels by 6 inches on the top and 2 at the bottom. All of the body panels started as 28/29 rpu "skins" from Brookville. Runs a 4 inch dropped front axle and a Hildebrand mag V8 quick change, engine is a Ford Zetec 2 liter, 4 valve, 4 banger with electronic Hilborn injection, BW T5 tranny. Wheels are 15X4.5 fronts and 18X8 Wheelsmith spokes with Firestone dirt tires. I like them low so the frame is about 2-1/2 to 3 inches off the ground. If I didn't make it I modified it and if it wasn't modified I didn't use it. Wheel base is right at 100 inches.I have about 12,000 miles on it now and will put another 5-6000 on it in 2011 as soon as it warms up and stops raining!!!

Rex

Attached Files:

• 1202.JPG
      1202.JPG
      File size:
      146 KB
      Views:
    • 875.jpg
      875.jpg
      File size:
      50.7 KB
      Views: