Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Daily Driver Update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 29, 2010.

1. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, Texas ain't Manitoba or Sunny North Dakota. You can run 'em here, but even today, you would have tire chains on for just getting around, you would have to plug in the "headbolt heater" to help start the flat motor each morning, and a battery charge every week or so to make sure the old 6V is up to snuff because the generator won't keep her charged in the cold temperatures---Oh, Yeah--check the antifreeze, here it needs to be good to 40 degrees below zero farenheit.

Honestly---more power to you for driving the Ford! I think some more daily videos would help motivate more of us, and just help us enjoy the winter as you enjoy driving that car. I'm sure you bring lots of smiles and memories to the folks around Austin.

overspray

2. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Go easy when talking about late model pickup daily drivers. Nothing wrong with that either.

In fact, I bought Ryan's off him a few years back. :)

Not near as cool as his "new" daily but it's been a good friend and I love it more than I figured I woould anything newer than 1959...

I'd offer to come help with the glass but the last glass swap I got involved in is being cleverly disguised with Hunnert Car Pileup stickers...

3. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

yeh man! that video captures the feeling of drivin an old car. Now you know why us old farts like em stock. It took me right back to 1956 driving my 41 one owner Ford cpe. It ws like a brand new car compared to my old stock A bone. Now I got to get my 39 Century bak on the road.

4. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

Awesome. Jealous. Time I get a new daily driver.

5. racer756

racer756

Great choice in your daily. Nothing better than saving your hard earned $$$$ for something other than a car/truck payment.

Cant smell? Can u taste? Its interesting to me as one of the best things about Old cars are the smell of them. from interiors to engine compartments, to exhaust.

Have a great New Years..

6. choprodinc

choprodinc

Ain't no sense in havin' a car if it's just gonna sit due to "not perfect" weather... this is Texas, any days a great day to drive your ride. Had co-workers call me crazy the other day for showing up to work in my roadster cuz outside temp was 37 degrees. Cold ain't nothing for a Dickies insulated suit. You keep drivin tha baby Ryan and I'll try to keep pace... Great video!

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Way to go man, you are livin the dream. Bias ply tires rock and dont let anyone tell you different. I wish I could get by with driving old cars to work but it is 80 miles round trip in the worst traffic snarled freeways in the twin cities. and quite frankly I dont trust those other drivers enough to drive my old cars. congrats for having a hot rod friendly commute!

8. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Great read, great ride , great thread! Congrats!!!:D

9. burnout2614

burnout2614

I don't just love old cars, I L O V E old cars! cool video. peace

10. I'm curious along these lines as well, as I drive a stock 55 Buick 2dht as a daily as well, and whilst I enjoy it, it's certainly not my passion which is rodding (28rpu with flatty etc). It makes me wonder if you had've kept the wagon or even the single spinner given the circumstances, would they make you 'tick' the same way? do you find an emotional/enthusiasm balance of sorts with your cars?
    What I'm getting at is that there was a time where I'd love to spend all day every day building & focusing on hot rods instead of a 'regular' job, however, these days I'm not so sure, as I want my 'interests' to be a distration to my daily endeavours (although complimenting them to a degree), and whilst I have narrowed my field down of sorts, there's still enough variation in my day that my passion remains strong without being 'flooded'?

Do you ever find yourself 'flooded'?

Regardless, you've seemed to have struck a fine balance, to which I commend you, embrace it and appreciate the beauty it offers.

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

11. Mike Phillips - Tipton

Mike Phillips - Tipton
    from Tipton IN.

You're one lucky dude to be driving that every day.

12. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Sweet ride. If it was mine I would put in some heated seats for the winter.

As for your stereo I think one of these would be dope.
    [​IMG]
    http://theboomcase.wordpress.com/

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's kind of funny... The '39 is so docile that when I hop in the a-coupe, it seems ruthlessly loud and fast. Of course, it's a flathead car too... so, it's not fast by any means, but it sure feels like it after driving the sedan daily.

As far as, the novelty of it all... I'm a little different than most. See, I'm sick. I don't think it's possible for me to grow tired of an old car. The novelty of driving the '39 (or any old car for that matter) just doesn't seem to wear off at all. I LOVE it every time I drive it.

I'm hesitant to admit to this, but I literally think about cars 95% of the time. I always have some silly shit in my mind wondering around...

I mean, I think about other things obviously... but shit like the above is always twirling around in my head as I do. I can't escape it. I've tried... I've tried to focus on other things, but my entire life it has always gone back to cars.

It's good and bad... Good in that I write about cars every day and because of my "condition," it never gets old. Bad in that I'm sure it pigeon holes me in a number of ways. I'm ok with that these days... It's just me. I suck at social situations, I suck at music, I suck at surfing, I suck at a lot of things... But I was fuckin' born to think about cars and I do it as well as just about anyone...

So, no. Driving the '39 every day has in no way quenched my thirst.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  14. you need to go read our sister site www.gearjournal.com Ryan blogged about those bitchen music boxes:)

15. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

That is one awesome ride. I believe I would enjoy going to work if I had that to drive everyday.

16. Kettleman

Kettleman

Great video Ryan! love the drive around Drippin'

17. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

Quote:
    "I'm hesitant to admit to this, but I literally think about cars 95% of the time. I always have some silly shit in my mind wondering around..."

Cool story and video......and how fitting that the music is Steve Earle playing "Darlin' Commit Me" . Perfect.

chicken

18. ERNST

ERNST

Thats "good livin"...keep enjoying it daily+

19. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

The video is killer... thanks for the ride in the 39.

20. tedster

tedster

Cool that you get to drive it year around. Liked the music but personally would have rather listened to your motor the whole time. Sweet ride!

21. 21tat

21tat

Great story Ryan. Well stated. I drive old ones regularly also. Just makes the day go better!

22. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I sold two trucks and a Nova to buy my new HHR a couple years ago. Sometimes I wish I'd have gotten a finished classic instead.
    But hey, my wife drives the '50 daily. We completely understand the traffic anxiety downtown, but living in fear ain't living!
    Enjoy the ride.........

23. bluesman

bluesman
    from spring tx

ryan just love it:Dgood post bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Hell yeah, if you got to drive something daily. Drive-em Homie!!

I put mine together, then "the shake down". Well, that was about 6years ago. Maybe my "T" will shine someday.

Attached Files:

• 1098.jpg
      1098.jpg
      File size:
      353.7 KB
      Views:
  25. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Change the glass ,the pass windshield looks like an accident waiting to happen. Enjoy yourself but be safe.

26. gearhead78

gearhead78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Dallas TX

I'm the same way. I love this story I drive a POS Corrolla to work cause I hate payments and it was damn near a free car. Your story inspires me to put a hot rod together as a daily. Keep the great stories flowing.

27. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Very cool

I drive an old truck daily (20,000 miles a year, every year) and would NOT have it any other way. A 1/4 of the mileage I am usually hauling loads at or a little over the stock capacity of it.

I too tried to drive for a while without a radio and being a musician that only lasted a short while. I currently have a hidden MP3 player system in my daily driver f-1 and my hotrod.

28. We should all be so lucky

29. Jake H.

Jake H.

"Drive on."

I like it.