Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. spiertb

spiertb

Ford only made 57 1966 427 Fairlanes so they weren't legal in Stock eliminater back in 67-8. But Ford made many more '67's in various body styles and NHRA said the '67's were legal--So many of the '66''s were converted-mainly grilles, headlight housings and taillights--the obvious pieces. The 2 door Fairlane sedans fit the class the best so a lot of guys ran them as time passed. As I recall the sedan was only 5 pounds over the minimum weight for A/S--which became B/S then C/S. Syl

2. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Tweed--You are indeed corresct sir! Garey was ALWAYS quick on both the starting line and in E.T. department. I have heard that story about wanting Boertman in the semi's---that was a weird rule about the final round. I'm thinking real serious about buying a '64 Cutlass post and running a 425 stick combo. and streeting it---my '69 W31 racer (lettered and slicks) draws alot of attention on the street. Until next time..... Dave.

3. LEW BECKER

LEW BECKER

Jay kalmus photo from raceway park news-englishtown,nj.
    Follow up to earlier post.:)

Attached Files:

4. LEW BECKER

LEW BECKER

GARY SHELFORD-VAN NUYS,CA.1956 CHEVY-M/S CAR.
    FEATURED IN RODDER&SUPER STOCK MAGAZINE-NOVEMBER,1969-ARTICLE ENTITLED"BUILD A 56 CHEVY MONEY MAKER".-2010......:p

Attached Files:

5. Our57

Our57

Someone has an old Junior Stock '57 sedan delivery for sale in the classifieds on classracer.com. Ad says it has been parked since '72. I can't afford another project now but I thought somebody on here might be interested.

6. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

That Camaro, I think was formerly Tony Feil's car and was run in E and F/MP. "Super Melon" on the back referred to the color....it was green. Tony had an Anglia and it was a purple-ish color and that car was called the "Super Grape"......

I recall Jay got a new Super T-10 ......I might have installed it because he had difficulty doing it himself at home on his garage floor. I could get under the car and lay the trans on my chest and hike it up into the bellhousing for him....put one bolt in and he did the rest.

The new trans seized a gear on the mainshaft in one or two runs.......I took the gears off the main shaft and honed them to loosen them up and replaced anything that was ruined. Tony advised him to do this as the gears were usually too tight......

I think the car ran mid to high 11's in F/MP. I can also recall being up at Cayuga at a WCS race and Jay was fretting over what tires to run......A-140's or B-140's. ....I was having my own problems with carburetor issues ..... That Camaro picture was probably from around 1970.....

7. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Probably this one; also posted here on the H.A.M.B.

Boy, I wish I had the money and I hope it goes to the right person.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=544901&highlight=junior+stock

<!-- message -->This is a former NHRA Junior Stock Class drag car, O/SA, 1957 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery. It was parked in 1972 when the class was shelved. Engine is a 220 HP 283 with Duffy's pistons, Lunati Cam, Elks Service Heads, Stahl fenderwell headers, with a Powerglide/stall converter and 4.88 rear end gears. I bought it to put back on the street, but now I've bought ANOTHER 1956 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery (now I have 2), so the 57 has to go. Needs tires and floor work (typical tri-five Chevrolet rust issues). I have some new and used parts I've bought that will go with the car. This would make an excellent Nostalgia class car, or to put back on the street. Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  8. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

Probably more for the modified page but........the camaro when Tony owned it.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

9. colesy

colesy

I was admiring this Javelin photo when I noticed the bumper sticker. Do you remember this Javelin ad? It was a favorite of mine back then.
    Not sure who's Javelin the photo is of. It looks like it may be Ron Root but I remember that car running in SS/F and not H/Stock. Anyway, here's that ad from 1968.......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j04v2XrVwg

Attached Files:

10. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

11. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

So that makes sense -- But still my unanswered question? Was Tom's "67" hardtop his 66 white car "updated to 67" and repainted? I always wondered if he sold the 66 and got a 67 or if it was just his old one upgraded. It would make sense that it was the old one since he was "caught" ( or dis-allowed from) running the glas hood. Did you ever see pix of his "white" Dave Smith 66 car?

12. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:If you look at the picture of Tony Feil's camaro it does kinda fit the JR. Stock deal in that Iaconio's 57 and Lou's 57 corvette look to be towing in tandem, Frank's on the truck and Lou's on a trailer behind. Also, that looks like maybe Chuck Johnson's car on the other ramp truck. Saw something about Ed Merkel a few pages ago and I remember he ran an ultra clean triple black (70 maybe?) cougar convertible. Anyone remember any of his other cars?

13. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

any you guys got more info/ pics of this car? fuckin cool car.jpg

looked through this thread and didnt find much on it.

it kinda reminds me of my own Nova nova2.jpg

14. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Dave -
    Heres a pic of "your' Anderson Olds 69 W-31. Wasnt sure if you have it or not? Here is is for everyone to enjoy! Ant to all "HAMBERS" - Have a Happy New Year!
    Photo courtesy of Bob Plumer's collection!

Attached Files:

15. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Dave,

Always loved the looks of this Olds... one mean looking stocker!:)

What is the image and text on the rear quarter panel though? Tried to enlarge, but couldn't figure it out.

16. John356

John356

It is a picture of a ram on wheels, RAM AIR

17. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Ahhh... I see it now!:)

Thanks!

18. Jimmy Parker

Jimmy Parker

NoClubJoe,

The Nova pictured was raced in Division II by Ken & Pop Andrews when it was a pretty new car. If I remember correctly they were from Jacksonville, Florida and were very early customers of Paul Forte, possibly before Turbo Action was officially opened for business.

Jimmy Parker

19. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

hey cool, thanks for the info, i would really like to see more pics of the car. I did a yahoo search for "Nova-Cain" drag car, didnt come up with anything about the car or pics? I guess i gotta keep looking, i really dig the look of this Nova. From what i can tell from the pics its a 68 or 69, it has the small marker lights in the bumper and on the sides, 70-72 had larger lights as you can see from the pics of my 71.

20. Righto, Jimmy
    Took the TA words right out of my mouth!

Good to hear from you. Happy New Year.

Pic was taken at Edgewater Park (old scales by the concession.Now on return road)
    Big W is for Waibel Competition. Might contact them for more info.

21. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Thanks Tweed, Yea I have that shot and I have talked to Bob Plumer on several occasions. I seem to remember him telling me that at that time (1969) he worked at Anderson Olds as a line tech and knew Sonny Freeman (Anderson's driver) quite well. He took that photo at Capitol Raceway---must've been a big meet 'cause if you look in the background there are some pretty big names in attendance. And yes, it is a Ram on wheels with "RAM AIR" lettered underneath. I (actually my lettering man) tried in vain to duplicate that rear 1/4 when I had the car re-lettered but I was never happy with the result. Now the rear 1/4 says "RAM AIR" in a knid of speed-letter on each side. Thanks for the interest and Happy New Year to all!!! Until next time..... Dave. P.S. Except for the "new" lettering my car remains mostly original.

22. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Thanks Tweed, Yea I have that shot and I have talked to Bob Plumer on several occasions. I seem to remember him telling me that at that time (1969) he worked at Anderson Olds as a line tech and knew Sonny Freeman (Anderson's driver) quite well. He took that photo at Capitol Raceway---must've been a big meet 'cause if you look in the background there are some pretty big names in attendance. And yes, it is a Ram on wheels with "RAM AIR" lettered underneath. I (actually my lettering man) tried in vain to duplicate that rear 1/4 when I had the car re-lettered but I was never happy with the result. Now the rear 1/4 says "RAM AIR" in a knid of speed-letter on each side. Thanks for the interest and Happy New Year to all!!! Until next time..... Dave. P.S. Except for the "new" lettering my car remains mostly original.

23. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Joe,

If you're thinking of a tribute car, I have the hard to get 10" vintage Mr. Gasket decals for the fenders.;):D

-p.s. you made the comment in an earlier post about ridding the Ralley wheels and of traction issues. Mount a pair of the new M&H vintage 7" cheater slicks on a pair of Cragars or steelies. They're only 7" wide, but are super soft and sticky and I bet after a good burnout, your Nova would plant. You'll have to make a stop over and check them out, I have a pair on the Ford.

24. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

That is definately Frank Iaconio's car and I was not sure about the Corvette but your probablly right it is Lou Cuviello's....I also thought the Merc was Chuck Johnson's...

My ex-wife was a bartender in a place that Ed Merkel frequented.......The Merkels had a car wash right around the corner......

Jeff was a fun guy and sent me a birthday present once in a bar down in Florida as a little joke......A dancer (topless)......and it was not my birthday! He was havin fun.....We usually visited one of those clubs on any trip to Florida......Any trip to Florida was always a fun week...and warm ...well usually but not always....

25. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Searching for images of "Nova-Cain" I came across this photo?:confused:

It's amazing what you can find on Google by accident.

Looks like Al Hart and the Prospector. Don't know if its ever been posted yet.

26. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Its got to be a 69 --- a 68 would say "chevy II" on the front edge hood moulding. thats the only way i can tell em from the front. This car probably was running a 255HP/350? If it were a 68, only a 295HP 350 was available!
    Hayyp new Year to all!

27. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Hey Jimmy -
    Happy New Year to ya all down there! Whatcha gonna run this year?
    Tweed

28. dsa2207

dsa2207

Happy New Year everyone. Here's a nice shot of my good friend Danny Lattimore in or around 1972 @ MIR in the stick shift superstocker.

Craig

Attached Files:

29. LEW BECKER

LEW BECKER

Early olds 442 stocker-"rectifier"running the tin tiger gto from poprod magazine.
    I have an early article on the olds car-demmer tool co.?if any serious olds racers interested i can mail a copy.
    Also pop rod magazine,sept. 1967 ran a detailed feature entitled "55-57 chevys for stock classes"- includes a photo of gary glover car and cavanaugh bros(?) from ca.:)

Attached Files:

30. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Chuck,
    The '67 Chevy II door locks are located on the door panel in front of the door handle. There are also quite a few more minor differences between the '66 and '67 Chevy IIs!
    Bob Rice