Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-52 New Old Style Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.B., Dec 12, 2010.

1. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

[
    Hey, mr John 79.
    Is that you, Jompa? If you read the posts in this thread, then you will find what you are asking for. No time for me to sum it all up everytime someone asks.. :p[/QUOTE]

Yes,its me.
    The one and only ha ha.

Ive read all the post but still dont get it all,does that make me lame??? :D
    Maby we can have a REAL discussion over a couple of beers ;)
    Did a sneak peak in a garage in Gothenburg a couple years ago and there were a really nice built bare metal Mercury.
    Think it was a member of the "Hammers".
    Dont remember the details aboute the car but i think you already know aboute it.

2. weez

weez

Yes, my '50 has a 350 Chevy in it, it was mainly a financial decision at the time. I had a fresh flatty in it at first that got damaged, and the 350 was only $500. It works fine and I don't have any reason to change it other than lusting after an early Cadillac engine, but I can't throw much money at cars these days... someday!

That said, not sure why what's under the hood of a custom would change the style of the car... and I'm a stickler for details- To me it's the satisfaction of the owner knowing the whole car is authentic, but to the observer, it's like knowing what underwear someone has on, seems irrelevant.

3. 00 MACK

00 MACK

That said, not sure why what's under the hood of a custom would change the style of the car... and I'm a stickler for details- To me it's the satisfaction of the owner knowing the whole car is authentic, but to the observer, it's like knowing what underwear someone has on, seems irrelevant.[/QUOTE]

Poetry!

4. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

First. im not putting your car down cause it has a 350 in it. i just used your car as an exaple for those hardcore purist. who say its not a period correct custom if it dosent have the correct motor in it. you car has been one of my all time favs. to me it fits the bill perfect. i have a lot of pictures i took of your car. i can look at your car up close or 100 ft away. both ways its an amazing custom. you and scott did a awesome job on your car.

if a car looks elegant like they did back then. well it works then. so many people get all caught up in the look at me way and destroy there cars with over chopping and slamming them. it took me 9 yrs before i decided to chop mine. i wanted to get it right and not hate myself for screwing up a car.

i havent seen any cars on this thread i would take off. i dont care what motor is in them. they all have the right look to me.

5. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

Except, when I see a fully clothed sexy woman, its nice to know she's wearing equally sexy underwear instead of "granny panties" if ya catch my drift :D

6. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I know Ive been joking around this whole time but the guy started a thread on absolute pre 52 Kustom perfection. Its as simple as that. Im sure he is fond of alot of cars that break some rules but this thread he wanted PURE. Thats the way I see it at least.

7. Cool thread J.B.
    D.
    [​IMG]

8. True but the problem is becoming that half the cars posted on this thread really don't fit into J.B.'s original guidelines or we are not sure if they do because no one knows what the driveline is.

9. 00 MACK

00 MACK

True. Oh by the way, I wonder if certian colors of suede fall into the criteria or not?

10. What I find interesting that almost all the ones that do fit in are not in gloss paint. Seems like you have to decide between paint or a period correct drivetrain.

11. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I just meant say for instance, the old pics of Skonzakes Buick or Quesnells car when they were in some kind of white primer, or was it white?

12. I was always under the impression it was primer. I think it is kind of neat that they used white and then almost always went with a dark finished color as it allows one to see the cars in both light and dark finishes.

13. little skeet

little skeet
    from huston

[
    [​IMG]

Here is mine.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  14. I think not.

This thread needs cleaning up, it started well but is turning ugly.

Especially if it's going to become another 'here's mine' O/T debacle.

15. I agree with you that it did start out really good and still is for the most part.I think some guys are reading the 48-52 title and if their cars fall in between those years and its chopped or a mild custom then they are posting it without reading what J.B.wants.This thread is a very small group of cars and like 00mack said.... J.B. wants to keep it pure.

16. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Anthony, I find many people that don't get that you're joking... :D

Here's a very quick summing up of my intentions of the thread:
    1. Styling of the car = styling and accessories period correct pre -53
    2. Drivetrain = preferrably period correct, but not a rule. The car must fit the no 1. criteria, though.
    3. Chassie = same as no. 2

Did everyone follow? If not, read my answers in the thread. Been answering this for many posts now. What the criteria and style for this era is, have been answered by many clever brains through the thread. Just to read their answers. :)

I have a small and in a very friendly way meant question to the guys that think the driveline is not any particular matter of interest in an era kustom car build. I am comparing to a motorcycle or hot rod. To build a hot rod that would fit in around the WWII era with all the right stance, parts, body and frame. And then put in a 1975 350 with automatic transmission and an 8 in rear axle. Same with a pre-war period styled Harley bobber and put in a 1978 shovelhead instead of the knuckle/flattie/pan. To me, that is the HAMB difference compared to just another motor-forum. Not having to explain this.

I am not interested in what underwear my buddies wear, Keith, ha ha... :D
    But I must admit that motors interest me. Not only mine. My buddies engines too.

Just trying to have someone on my side to justify why I am stupid enough to put $8000 in a flathead and another $1500 in a sharp -39 gearbox. We are talking 160 hp and slow gearing. Instead of the whole 350-kit with three times more horsepower for a third of the price... :p

To me, it's of course my personal feeling and my own goal that I put up to satisfy my specific dreams. And the same does everyone else do, I hope. To first and foremost build the car for yourself, like Keith said. To each his own and we all choose where we put the level. Not many of us have the perfect dream car instantly. It usually takes a number of years, due to time and finance. I have so much I need to do on my Merc, but the time and money hasn't made me arrive there yet. Eventually... :p

But I have a weak spot for people that actually walk that extra mile to reach another level. Suede paint is an unfinished kustom. Period correct, but not finished. The difference between kustoms and hot rods is just that. The kustoms strive for the look and style, firstly. The hot rods were built for going fast, firstly. So a never painted or poorly painted hot rod can be finished and still period correct. They didn't always, put any effort in that. But a kustom car usually had a shiny goal and also finale.

Damn, a lot of ranting now! Sorry... :D:D:D

17. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Very respected and well said J.B.

18. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Don't know much of this very nice looking car. Only have this pic of it.
    Any info?
    [​IMG]

Any Carson-topped cars built nowadays? :D

Here's a nice Swedish one being built now, not finished interior or top.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Very well put J.B. I completely agree with the respect shown to guys that go that extra mile.

The only arguement I would raise is that back in the day I would bet no one would have forgone shiney paint before dropping any but the absoulte minimum amount of money required on drivetrain components. I realize it is different today as you are not dealing with cars that are relatively new as they were back in the day and most require drivetrain work but still I think you are in a way bypassing you #1 rule in order to obtain your #2 rule which to me seems odd.

To argue about what is under the hood and under the fenders while a car is still running around in suede paint to me is not really what customs are about.

20. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

You are absolutely correct. Shiny paint was a period correct thing and something that was coming high up in the priority. Primer was only while preparing for paint. Back in the day, you could not have an "incorrect" drivetrain. 2011, it's another story with all the choices we can do. That is why my list even have the drivetrain mentioned.

All the best

21. Curt Six

Curt Six

Dick Brown's cars ('41 Ford and '35 Ford) are pretty nice examples (although the tailpipes and license bracket kinda screw the pooch on the '35). These were in the last Hop Up, and there was a piece not long ago in Street Rodder on the '35 (that's where I boosted this photo...can't scan my Hop Up here).

Looking through my archives of recent builds, it looks like there are hardly any (IF any) sedans being built like the Ohanesian Merc, etc. Any examples of those?

Attached Files:

22. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  23. I get that JB is looking for other examples of new builds that use era-correct parts for #2 and #3 on his list.

And I think he's got the 3-4 cars that fit that category in this thread. I don't think in the end that the $9000 cost can be justified in the thread, but lightweights like myself would think it was pretty cool. Heck who can "justify" spending $30-70K on a old car/custom.

I think the guys going on and on about correct era drivetrains, it's cool but y'know, in the end if some of us wanted to do that, I'd just patiently wait for a car with history to come up for sale and restore it.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  24. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Not finished but on its way.
    It has a little to modern engine,54 Cadillac.

[​IMG]

25. KY NDN

KY NDN
    from Kentucky

here is my photoshopped '40 Lasalle more door. It is still sitting stock right now, but I am hoping to make some progress on her before long. I'm not sure if this is the exact direction I'm gonna go but its probably close. I'd love any suggestions from you all

[​IMG]

26. [​IMG]
    It's about time fellas...... I have been waiting for this shiney paint subject to come up.:) Im not sure how you guys see this but to me,this car is looking finished enough right here.It's in a show with a couple of nice trophies next to it and honestly,I dont think Jerry's trophies were under construction awards.These cars did crush the streets looking like this and ALSO were in shows and obviously doing alright.So you have your rules for your thread but as we can see here,those rules didnt always apply.
    I know this isn't a new build but a old picture has to be posted to show my point.Also for the record this car NEVER looked better then it did right here and if I ever end up finding this car and have a chance to bring it back to life,this right here will be the FINISHED product and the paint doesn't even shine. So who knows my merc just might stay the way it is.(Dull)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  27. 00 MACK

00 MACK

The car looks great but very unfinished. Wheres the window trim or side glass? What color is it? White or something else? What color was Skonzakes Buick?

28. Jerry's car was white, the trim was still getting polished.He told me they used to call it "The Ghost". Shit man,that pic makes me want to put mine in white primer and leave it like that.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  29. JAWS

JAWS

I'm liking the cad grill in that chevy. I have been wondering what grill to do in my 46.

I like the fade-aways also......hmmmm

Still mine is disqualified, I'm ok with it. I NEED it to be the way it is for good reason.

30. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Dude, There were chopped 46-8 Chevys with drip rails in the early 50s.