Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 fleetline fastback "2 door conversion"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mosthated, Dec 27, 2010.

1. retromotors

retromotors

Damn, sure glad there was an authority here to straighten us all out on that!

2. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Nice 4dr. If it were mine I'd leave it like it is but it's your car.

3. 62rebel

62rebel

IF you've done a bunch of conversions like this; and
    IF you've got a donor car lined up for the correct parts; and
    IF you really have to have a two door, then do it.

personally, i'd leave a stock 4dr fleetline alone if it were that nice. do the lowrider bomba thing, maybe. but NOT slice-n-dice it.

my main argument against isn't the condition or rarity of the car; it's the complexity of the rear quarter design and how it goes together differently on 2dr's and 4dr's. i'm no authority on Chevvies but i'm not even sure the rooflines are the same on 2 and 4dr fleetlines, so getting a donor car might not even do the trick. here's where i would hunt down a real shitbox fleetline 4dr body and do some on-the-job discovery if that's an option for you.
    this car isn't a case of slicing open the quarter, moving the b-pillar and bolting on longer doors like a shoebox Ford.

4. Yeah, I wish you'd piped up about this in like September, I could have sold you a rough door and both quarters for cheap.

But these cars are still pretty common - that's why I let the one I had go, it was pretty well wasted otherwise - you really could go buy a 2-door Fleetline for not a ton of money. Especially a rusty one - for some reason the left A-post has a tendency to rot out on these cars, I've seen a lot that way, and it would be a ton of work to fix, so that might be a place to start. But it's tough to find one with both doors on it in a junkyard, every one I found in a yard that sold parts had no left door. As a result I still need a left vent for mine -

5. riskybiz

riskybiz

mosthated you have a very nice looking fleetline! The roof line on a 4dr and a 2dr are the same only difference is two dr vs 1dr opening. to make it easier you would need the frt drs from a 2dr(fleetline). Remove rear dr set a side, cut loose center post, install 2dr frt dr.You have to cut out the lock area from 4dr frt dr and transfer it to the 2dr frt dr. reinstall center post in new location. Cut down rear dr to use as a filler for 1/4 panel. Cut rear dr window frame down to fit new opening. There you have it a 4dr to a 2dr. See my photo album the chopped 50 started life as a 4dr. I used my green one for measurements. BUT YOUR CAR IS TOO NICE TO CUT UP!!!!!
    Charles

6. Adam Bahm

Adam Bahm

Here's an idea, rear hinge the back doors. But keep all four.

7. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

i have 2door doors in the corner of my garage if you want them

8. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

How about just chop it.

Attached Files:

9. chopt49

chopt49

get the parts, fresh cutting disks and a bunch of courage and DO IT! I did and if I can, ANYONE can.

Go fo it.....

Cheers,

10. chopt49

chopt49

sorry double post... edited.

11. I seldom care for four doors, but there are always exceptions. When I saw this car I had to save the pic. Looks damn nice if you ask me.

[​IMG]

12. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

D
    Don't do that! It's a half-ass mickey mouse job. Shave all 4 handles and it gives it a clean look.

13. i HAVE SOME FRIENDS THAT HAVE 150,000 TO 200,000 DOLLAR CARS. THEY HAVE HAD HOT ROD SHOPS BUILD THEIR CARS. THEY USUALLY SAY THEY WISH THEY HAD NOT CUT IT UP.

THE FUNNY THING IS THEY HAD MORE FUN IN HIGH SCHOOL WITH THEIR JALOPY THAN THEY EVER HAD WITH THEIR EGO BUILD. NOW ALL THEY DO IS TAKE THEM TO CAR SHOWS AND MAKE SURE NOBODY TOUCHES THEM. THEY WOULD NEVER LET THE OLD GANG COME AROUND AND HELP PULL THE ENGINE IN THEIR MEGA BUCKS CAR..

I WOULD NOT CUT UP THE FAST BACK. I THINK IT LOOKS COOL JUST THE WAY IT IS.

14. newpy383

newpy383

Thanks alot! Now i want one. They are just as beautiful as the 2 doors imo. If you want to be different why not chop it or suicide the rear doors. It would look good with the door front and rear door handles next to each other.

15. I think that pic says a thousand words.

16. ZombieMike

ZombieMike
    from Apopka, FL

That's a sweet looking 4 dr. I've considered making my 4 dr 53 a 2dr and might but that looks pretty nice the way it is.

17. randy

randy

I haven't owned a 4 door since high school 12+ yrs ago, but I still think they can be cool. Not like a 2-door is a hard thing to come by either.

Like WOW man you MUST be special, you own a 2-door! Where did you find that??? They're SUPER rare.

2-doors are everywhere. 4-doors are everywhere. Pick the one you like or take the one that picks you.

-r

18. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I dont have 4 door and I like it...

makes me want to make a 4 door out of my 2 door

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  19. I would find 2dr doors, move the B pillar back and shorten the rears to fit. Is it worth all the energy? I've been through the whole 4dr into 2dr experience. But what I think is cool, is to build stuff that's never been done, but should of been.

20. mosthated

mosthated

thanks for all the input guys,you really got me thinking. sometimes it just takes an outside view to help figure things out !

21. pinupwithgun

pinupwithgun

Maybe just channel it!

Attached Files:

22. I don't think I'd haved a problem driving that...

23. ratfink56

ratfink56

give it a black paint job and drive it.

24. Sell it to me???

25. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Before you do this do yourself a favor and look for a picture of a 4dr Fleetline that Boyd Coddington(I know, I know) did for a chevy dealer in, I think, Wisconsin. If I remember right he chopped the top something like
    1 1/2-2". That car was bitchin and made me look at 4 drs in a whole new light. If you see it you'll forget about making yours a 2dr.

Frank

26. Bigbillyrocka

Bigbillyrocka

I have a 50' 4 door fleetline. I chopped it and am gonna suicide the rear doors. Do THAT instead. :) but don't take myyy word for it

27. fleetlane

fleetlane

i purchase my '50 4 drs for 15 years. more easier for me if i wanted a 2 drs.

"4 drs are not only made for mother famillies with curlers in their hair"

28. freiertpc

freiertpc

what up C$ when you get the coupe doors on we need to get you some Cadillac quarters and smash the roof down

29. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Old thread but God Damn, that is one beautiful car!

Brian