Register now to get rid of these ads!

universal gas pedals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pie pie, Dec 26, 2010.

1. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

ok so there are several companies and places to get them but which ones do most people have good luck with? ebay, speedway, lokar ect? i see some on ebay that say splined shaft with set screws and they kinda scare me from the look in the pictures. does anyone have any expierience with some of the different ones?

2. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

I have a box full of crap moon elco speedway and every other pedal out there along with all the carb linkage every one sells it is all crap and does not fit as it should. look into using something out of a donor car or make your own using bushings and ground shafts.

3. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I'm in a similar situation. I took a look at the lokar spoon pedal over at jegs and it seemed pretty substantial(read: heavy) but I couldn't take it out of the package or anythinhg to see how well that splined adjustment would hold.

I have a stock pedal from a junkyard on the car now, and picked up another one for good measure for $10 the other day

4. captmullette

captmullette

got mine from bob's rat rod parts on ebay, very heavy duty, no set screws,,,,,

5. 38jon

38jon
    from York,PA

Look at the one Limeworks sells, it looks pretty nice, bronze bushings, don't know where its made though. I have one of the cheap pedals that every one else sells, and they are junk.

6. deuce354

deuce354

Look For The One That OFFY Made, They Are Heavy Duty Competion Type

7. Unless you want the look of an aftermarket unit, are cramped for space, or need something extra heavy duty, why not just take one off some other car? Most GM cars are three bolts, have a cable to connect to the carb/throttle linkage, come off in about 5 minutes, and when do you ever see one that's worn out? They outlast the cars. You could probably take the actual pedal itself off and replace it with a spoon without that much effort.

8. 37mj

37mj

have a nos 1949-52 mopar gas pedal for my '37 chevy pu , this setup is the same style has the floor mount lokar type gas pedal only chrysler must have thought of it first . i got all the parts from a junk yard and just got a nos pedal . these can be modified to run cable setup . i dont like using catalog parts ,i like finding stuff from the junk yards ,besides no time wasted checking 'ol yards out . heres a link to lokars type pedal thats the same as the early mopars http://www.jegs.com/p/Lokar/Lokar-Eliminator-Floor-Mounted-Gas-Pedal/750221/10002/-1

9. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Build it your self. It isn't rocket science.If you can rebuild a old car from the ground up this is childs play. Besides you can use your imagination , make your own design and say you did it. Yea I got stupid (once) and bought one of those fancy ones,broke, took off ( file 13 ) and made my own better than than the fancy ones.

10. HotRod31

HotRod31

If you go the junk yard route look for a late model Nova ( 80s-90s?) has a nice small pedal that is easy to modify. Or just build one, they are pretty easy to make.

Later, Mark

Attached Files:

11. slepe67

slepe67

THAT pedal is COOL!

12. banginona40

banginona40

I've used a Lokar and one from Socal. They both work good for me.

13. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I had a cheap one that was pretty unsafe as it would come loose and stick. I bought a Lokar and have been completely happy with it.

14. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

I have Lokar - never a problem.

15. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

mine is from a late 90s explorer. it started too long but with a cutoff wheel and a welder, i shortened it up. got rid of the cable and fabbed a through dash linkage rod. done deal. its clean, factory bulletproof and it was... FREE!

16. butch27

butch27

I've made a few out of old Chevy mounting and a Ford pivoting pedal They work great and mount with 3 screws to the firewall.

17. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

was that a modified nova pedal?

18. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

do the lokars are ok but the others pretty much are junk?

19. HotRod31

HotRod31

No, that was one I made.

Later, Mark

20. rickman454

rickman454
    from Marion, IA

I'm using one of these modified to pull the throttle from the front. You can find these in abandoned boats for cheap. Heavy duty aluminum and stainless steel construction.

[​IMG]

21. x-2 I have 3 and can't imagine an easier or cleaner gas pedal if you can find an early mopar pedal

22. I modified a Speedway sprint car pedal and had it welded to suit the roadster. There is no cable in the system, that is, all rod & joints so that if something sticks, you can lift the pedal as in a race car. It seems to work just fine and looks efficient.
    Ron

Attached Files:

23. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Whatever you do don't use a VW Golf Mk1 (Rabbit) unit. The hinge at the bottom is flexible plastic, which lasts about half an hour under my foot! I'm looking for a better alternative for my DD.

24. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

maybe i should try to make my factory galaxie gas pedal cable operated. i havnt even looked at it yet

25. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

If you want the linkage to actuate from under the floor, then go with the late 40s-early 50s MoPar setups as already suggested.

If you want a cable through the firewall, use the generic GM setup, also as already suggested. Run the cable through a length of brake tubing from the firewall to the carb and that way you can snake the cable however needed.

26. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

has anyone used the knock off lokar eliminator floor mounted pedals off ebay? even though they are adjustable it looks like a better set up than some set screws that could come out. just wondering if anyone has tried the knock off ones?

27. JohnT

JohnT

Thats a good question...

I have been looking at the knock offs also....
    they look identical to the lokar.. at half the price...
    just not sure of the quality....

Comparo.....

POL- http://www.performanceonline.com/POLISHED-ALUMINUM-GAS-PEDAL-W-VERTICAL-INSERTS-POL8503P/

lokar - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LOK-FMG-6098/

28. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

I got one from a T Bird that was in the pick a part and so far it looks like its gonna work

29. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have found out over the years that all do work sometimes but non just bolt in a go . Well I am wrong , the one that does bolt in a go with no alternations is the one that was made for the car the first time . So why not just replace the gas peddle with an original one ? I like the ones that comes with the cars because they all work real well .
    Just my opinion .

Retro Jim

30. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I feel ya Jim. Factory engineered is usually the gold standard. After switching to a firewall mounted brake pedal, relocating the steering column, swapping a chevy engine into a ford, and adding inches of firewall insulation, the adjustability of that Lokar sure looks good.

Also I gotta make sure I can drive it with boots on adn they don't get snagged on anything, and I never got a stock pedal in the first place.

That said, after my experience with a 'universal' brake pedal, I'd rather try a yo yo on a pivot with some string as a gas pedal than go universal again.

I'm going to try and modify a Buick pedal or this ford truck pedal to work before I spend $70 on Lokar