Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Beebe Bros, Vinson, & Sixt "Cackle Car"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE-SYNDICATE, Dec 10, 2010.

1. That's a great blower/hat Robert,perfect for the project!:D
    Like I said,I love the cover of that Drag Racing magazine...always have.;)

Got you on the custom crush biz,now I know why you're busy during the season.
    You know the area I'm in (Santa Lucia Highlands) really is producing some awesome pinot fruit.

Anyhows,enough wine talk,lol...can't wait for more updates.

2. rooman

rooman

Robert,
    I thought that these might help. They were taken at Surfers Paradise Raceway in 1970 when the ex Beebe/Kolb car was the "house car" for the track. I liked the chassis and as it was naked in their shop I took these pix for reference. Somewhere I also have one of the car being pushed with the body installed but I figured that these would be more of a help to you. At the time the car was backed by Ampol Petroleum and was painted red, white and blue.
    I am pretty sure that at the time that the Dave West re-pop of the second green car was unveiled at the NHRA Museum Jim Read still had the front wing from the car as he was talking to Tim about his (Read's) ownership of the car (when he put it back to the Fighting Irish paint scheme).
    Sorry that the pix are not the greatest but they were shot without flash in the shop which was under the track offices at Surfers.

Roo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roo

3. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

OMG..... That's the info I need!!! Rooman, thank you SO MUCH!!!! Those are great shots!!! And there's that damn brake handle.... Right there along side the center section!!!!

Super Awesome....

This coupled with arriving home tonight to the Original 1968 Beebe & Fedak RCS steering wheel just seals the Holiday Season right up...

Time for a drink and to enjoy the smile that's on my face!!!

Best Regards,

Robert M.

4. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

And here we have it!!!! Thanks to Sweeney for this Bitchin Piece of History....

He and I have had about a week and a half of Puckered AssHole waiting for the Good Ole USPS to deliver this... Seems so simple... Pop it in the Priority Box and get it on the way!!! Sure it's the Holidays but 15 days to get from LA to Nor-Cal??? Wow.... We were both sweating this one BIG TIME...

But here it is.... Home with me and will be perfect in this car!!!! The stories this could tell.....

Happy Holidays,

Robert M.

[​IMG]

5. rooman

rooman

Robert,
    it took me about 2 hours of searching through two boxes of transparencies to find the pix and then I had to load the scanner software into my home computer but it was worth it judging by your response. I just wish that the pix were better.
    Back in the day my mates were always on my arse about taking lots of pix but sometimes they come in handy. I also have quite a few of my Soapy Sales car from the day that it made its debut at Calder Park in Melbourne and they are going to be invaluable when I finally get to the restoration.

Roo

6. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Too cool! I'll be watching this build!!!

7. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Roo,

"Invaluable" is the key word... Nobody has turned up a Body off set of pics for this car to date... Yes, the 1968 "Salute to the Top Rail" has a pretty good spread:

http://beebe-mulligan.com/toprail1.shtml

I have been mulling thru but these pics, "See page 3, & 4," But your new pictures are the ones that clear a bunch of shit up....

That 2nd photograph confirms what I have been thinking all along.. This car is VERY similar to the Ed Pink "Old Master" Fueler that was built by Don Long:

http://www.wediditforlove.com/techtalk18.html

The upper frame rail has the classic bend right at the rear-end uprights. I knew something was up as I was trying to draw lines over a photograph I have to represent the frame rails. Each time I drew a line for the upper rail it always intersected the motor plate a bit to high... Well that would say that the upper rail had the kink/bend in it but the photos from the article I have seen never really confirmed that. These do....

And the Brake handle/master cylinder info is HUGE.... The 3rd photo show the simple little bracket dropping down from the 3rd member and supporting the little Girling Cylinder.

Too Cool....

Again a Million Thanks.... You can never have enough pictures!!!

8. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

Good luck. Looks like you have a great start.

9. retro rodder

retro rodder
    from cape cod

Just located this thread and have subscribed. just wondering though where'd you find the breathers and what kind are they.

10. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

I found these from Steve Sellar's in San Jose. He had them cast several years ago and offers them along with many other parts and pieces...

Here's my buddy Dan Stoner's T coupe:

[​IMG]

I saw this pic and ask'ed, Hey where's those come from??? Dan gave me the 411 and I ordered up a set. I'm not sure how many more Steve has but if you need them it's worth the call....

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/SellersEquipped

Cheers,

Robert M.

11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a great thread! Building an old T/F as faithfully as this is a fantastic tribute.
    I do have one question though, you said the remains of the car are 100ft underground......WTF??

Doc.

12. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

Attached Files:

13. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Great Shot! That car is the 1969 Woody Gilmore ride that was built as a replacement to the Original Ride. This is the car that Dave west has recreated and hauls out for everyone to see each year at the CHRR. So Bitchin.... A perfect RePop!

http://beebe-mulligan.com/

Dave has been very helpful in this project... Lots of Data as well as parting with the CHERRY Cirello Magneto...

Cheers,

Robert M.

14. Hey Robert,
    Here's a pic I found on file,I was at Infineon attending the Wine Country Classics (vintage road race cars including Trans-Am & Can-Am) a few years back,I'm walking past the locked garages and the roll-up door was up about 1 foot so I got down on my knees...and I see this...sitting in the garage all by itself:
    [​IMG]

I figure it might have been there being stored to be displayed at the NHRA race...just a guess...but I thought you might enjoy seeing it.;)
    Obviously this was the only pic I could take.;)

15. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

He says at the begining of this thread . That they came from Sellers Equipt. Just google Sellers or search in the for sale section here on the HAMB to find Sellers.

16. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Just noticed he already answered your question.

17. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Very COOL thread..! I look forward to following along! You sure do move fast!
    Good luck and enjoy!

Rocky

18. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

OK.... It's been a bit since the last post... Sorry about that! Plenty going on on right now!

There's some ultra cool data about the project soon to come but for now I will put up a few snappies for shits and giggles....

Tonight I started massaging the spindles for the front end:

Trim, cut, love them with the grinder...

Attached Files:

19. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Doc... No shit.. Here's where this old beast lives! She's in the Tip @ Holroyd Gardens!

Attached Files:

20. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Wow, a historic dragster build right in my own backyard! This build is a lot of fun to watch.

21. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Hey Man! I just saw your coupe Saturday driving thru town... I was walking back to my wife's little retail shop in Healdsburg and you went zipping thru the intersection! I'm like, wow Bitchin 5-winda!!!

Cheers,

Robert M

22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Awesome thread, love the authenticity. I'll be watching this with interest to see how things progress.

By the way the way, the old Surfers Paradise Raceway was sold to the Japanese who developed it into a housing estate. It took a few years before we got another dragstrip and it's miles away, not on the glamour strip of the Gold Coat (Q'ld)

Gotta love those old FE dragsters and gassers. Keep up the good work, I'm sure everyone certainly appreciates your attention to detail.

23. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

So in the process of getting this Iron Beast ready for duty we needed to fill the block with Dis Har Cement.... Here's a few pics of me and #1 helper getting the job done! This was carried out about a month ago and the block is now ready to head in for the machine work. We wanted the filler to completely cure before we start whittling on the thing.

Cheers,

Robert

Attached Files:

24. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

I had snapped up a Crower Roller cam that came from a Blown Alch combo many months back and I knew the cam wasn't going to work for Fuel, but I did know that I could get the CAM I wanted out of it. It was super big but had the correct lobe centers so I snapped it up at a low price and stashed it away. After some consulting with Gene Adams he recommended a great classic grind from Engle. Simple deal... I shipped it down and they transformed it into Nitro Material for $125.00. Here's Max with his new Cam! Maybe he'll take it to show and tell at school? ;-)

Cheers,

Robert M.

Attached Files:

25. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Time for a touch more history.... Ya gotta love these old clipping from Drag News Etc! Luckily Richard Beebe had a HUGE stash of goodies that he was so gracious to share with me!

Here's some Yum Yum for ya:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And another!!!
    [​IMG]

And then let's toss in some good old Trash Talk'n with the fellow So-Cal racers!!! Gotta love it!
    [​IMG]

26. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

As with all of this Old Shit something is bound to be bad or broken along the way.... Case in point, Crankshafts.... I hauled both cranks into Mike at Ashland for the Wet-Mag process and to get a clean bill of health on them. I thought for sure that the one crank which was basically Bone-Stock would be fine and I was suspect of the other "Race" unit. Well turns out the stocker was ultimate DOG-SHIT and the Race Crank is salvageable but for now not worth dicking around with.

Here's the "Race" crank that will just get tucked away for a rainy day:
    [​IMG]

Here's the slew of possible donors!!! Mike assured me he had one that would be just dandy!
    [​IMG]

And here is the sexiest Damn Crank Grinding MAchine I have ever seen....
    [​IMG]

Have no fear... We will end up with a good one after all...

:)

Robert M.

27. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

This is classic!

28. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Another little piece to add to the pile.... So thanks to Mr. Tom Hanna who "called it" I began a long extensive search for this mysterious little piece. There was something odd about the remote oil filter deal on this car and I couldn't find anything like it out there on the market! I figured it would be some early Milidon Deal, or possibly Donovan Etc??? Search after search and nothing came up. That's when Tom said, I think that's BUICK???

BUICK??? WTF? Well turns out he was right! 1959~1960 Buick that is.... And nothing else! Lee Sixt machined up a trick bracket that clamped to the frame just ahead of the motor and then bolted this little piece right to the front of it! Whamo! Spin On filters readily Available from the parts house and we're on our way! Well I found one... And it wasn't cheap... But ya gotta have it!

Take a look:
    [​IMG]

Here's the MAGIC piece.....
    [​IMG]

And Again....
    [​IMG]

29. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

A little bit more work!!! I needed to build an extension to my Chassis table in order to support the entire length of the frame. This front section will unbolt and hang from the wall after the car is done but will provide an excellent work surface for assembling the car. The remaining table, which is 8ft long, serves as a regular work bench in my shop. Here's a few snappies:

[​IMG]

And then connected up to the back table:

[​IMG]

The front axle as well as the rear end will need some good solid support fixtures to keep things lined up during the build process. These will be bolted down to the table and will be adjustable to allow for different wheelbases... Ya know... In case I build another one of these... :)

Here's some pics of the Rear-End supports. Note, the holes in the lower section are for supporting the lower frame rail as it hangs below the rear end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Robert M.