Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures chrstmas story movie...tons of cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saints, Dec 24, 2010.

1. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

The Farmers insurance dude in town puts up a leg lamp in the window every year

2. Jimv

Jimv

Heres my "Major award" I made it from a yardsale leg, fishnets & lamp shade that i glued some fringe on.Its a Big hit in the neighborhood!
    JimV

Attached Files:

3. moefuzz

moefuzz

Jean Shepard, the writer and narrator was a talk show host in the late 50's and into the 70's on WOR New York.

As a talk show "host", he seldom took calls. Instead he would just regail you with his fascinating stories many of which were car or ham radio related.

Stories like how as a kid he thought it would be nice to surprise his dad by giving dad's new Pontiac a carb job.
    -Dad loved his car and took meticulous care of it, taking it to the local top notch mechanic at the hint of trouble.
    Somehow, while Jean was 'helping dad' (who was sleeping on the couch) rebuild the carb, a nut fell down into the intake manifold and another one was cross threaded back onto the stud.
    I don't think his dad ever found out what happened but he sure had words with the mechanic who had always worked on his new pontiac.

Jean Shepard was a fantastic story teller and radio personality. Often times he would egg the audience on by whispering into the mic and telling them to put their radio (speakers) on an open window ledge pointing out into New York City. Then he would hurl insults thru the microphone and out into the streets of NY.

What a guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Shepherd

"When he was about to be released by WOR in 1956 for not being commercial, he did a commercial for Sweetheart Soap, not a sponsor, and was immediately fired. His listeners besieged WOR with complaints, and when Sweetheart offered to sponsor him he was reinstated. Eventually, he attracted more sponsors than he wanted—the commercials interrupted the flow of his monologues"

"Shepherd wrote a series of humorous short stories about growing up in northwest Indiana and its steel towns, many of which were first told by him on his programs and then published in Playboy. The stories were later assembled into books titled In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash, Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories: and Other Disasters, The Ferrari in the Bedroom, and A Fistful of Fig Newtons. Some of those situations were incorporated into his movies and television fictional stories. He also wrote a column for the early Village Voice, a column for Car and Driver, numerous individual articles for diverse publications, including Mad Magazine ("The Night People vs. Creeping Meatballism", March/April 1957), "

"He also wrote and narrated many works, the most famous being the feature film A Christmas Story, which is now considered a holiday classic. In the film, Shepherd provides the voice of the adult Ralph Parker. He also has a cameo role playing a man in line at the department store waiting for Santa Claus. Much to Ralphie's chagrin, he points out to him that the end of the line is much further away."

------------------

He also made cameo performances in several of his other movies including Ralphies new boss
    in Ollie Hopnoodles Haven of Bliss

4. moefuzz

moefuzz

If you guys love A Christmas Story, You will appreciate the radio broadcasts of the writer and narrator himself.

Jean Shepard is being broadcast 24 hours a day on the net for those who care to listen's as well as his radio broadcasts are available for download and many stories relate to dad's family car.

Hilarious stuff and well worth listening to.

http://insomniatheater.com/
    http://www.flicklives.com/

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  5. Tripple G

Tripple G

Lots of Cleveland, OH memories in this one. Most of the opening seens were shot downtown on Public Square. Soldier & Sailor's Monument, The Higbee Company, etc. You can even visit the "Christmas Story House" where they filmed the movie, in the Tremont area. Great cars, funny lines, a real "the way it was" feeling, definitely a Christmas tradition!

6. big bad john

big bad john

.........I use that line on a kid myself in the fiftys.....the movie sures brings back my childhood............Big Bad John

7. Doug B

Doug B

"OH FFFFUUUUDDDGGE....only I didn't say fudge..."

8. ===========================================
    A few years ago,they did a convention "of sort" in Cleveland..My son and daughter went to it..and I got the shirt.

Anyway,many of the actors from the show were present,but a few are no longer with us.
    The interesting part was the "out takes" from the movie,and HOW some of the show came together..Like 'sticking tongue to flag pole" ,was done with a vacum tube mounted inside the pole..
    The movie only ever showed 1/2 the teacher..why..she was pregnant...
    Ok,if you look at the box the lantern came in..The "T" on this side up, is missing..Apperently the box was built to large to fit through the doorway of the house..so they hacked 3" off one side..
    It's a tradition here to watch it Christmas day..

Oh,don't loose your wheel nuts ,or you'll be eating Lifeboy..
    Have a great day.
    Rick

9. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I listened to guys rave about that movie for years but never saw it. I finally sat down and watched it this AM, it was great!

10. yep don't get no worst than that... :)

I liked the mother dressing the brother in his snow suit.

11. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

anytime i hear any of the quotes from the movie i can instantly here the character's voices! and i still have my red rider bb gun too!! the wife does get annoyed after awile when im constantly saying..thats a 35-36...theres a 28-29...check out the 40 coupe!!

12. 41 C28

41 C28

A Christmas tradition at our house.

"you'll shot your eye out"

13. I love "A Christmas Story"! I'd never heard of the movie until 2001. That was the first time I saw the movie on TV, and laughed my ass off! So, as soon as I went out and got myself a replacement ass, I had to find out more about this movie. Each time I see this classic, I find a new detail in the background I'd not noticed before. What a fun movie!

And I love the '37 Terraplane that sits behind the fight scene where Ralphy whups up on the bully!

14. Do Good Jr.

Do Good Jr.
    from texas

I am watching it on tv right now. The little kid that gets bundled up for the cold reminds me of me. I hate the cold. Good Christmas movie. It's a major award !

15. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

"It Runs In the Family" ("My Summer Story" on DVD) is the second installment of "A Christmas Carol."
    It's funnier plotwise than the BB gun movie...

16. t-rod

t-rod

I hadn't really watched it till last night. On one of Ralphie's school papers the date is 1940, then in the fight scene I saw the cabriolet/sport coupe. My first thought was "that car's in bad shape for only 9 years old!"

17. big creep

big creep

no i think is good, but not funnier, it would have been nice if they would have kept the original cast, that would have been rad!

18. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

In a friendly way,we'll agree to disagree there.

Grodin and the Bumpesses,dodging the cop,playing "Ride Of The Valkyries" over the loudspeakers to run the hillbillies out of town and Mary Steenburgen reacting to the taxman and Ralphie bringing the crappies into the house?
    The number of subplots keeps it going for me.

Unfortunately,"A Christmas Carol" has been played to death.

19. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Jean Shepard confused the 1938 Red Ryder Carbine with a Daisy model 25 pump that had the "compass in the stock" so Daisy made a very limited number of RR carbines with a compass and sun dial in the stock. Due to some sort of copyright issues, Daisy has never been able to capitalize on the free publicity. They did put out a special edition RR "Christmas Carbine" with a a compass in the stock. I have one excellent example of the movie gun.

Attached Files:

20. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

I watched it again last night...it's traditional for me to watch it every Christmas Eve since it was released in 1983.

Always my FAVORITE Christmas Movie, and an EXCELLENT "time travel trip" ! The authenticity of the time period, cars, houses, toys in the window, all spot-on perfect.

I collect a lot of antiques also, and, of course, Radio Premiums...and, I HAVE one of the 1940 Orphan Annie Decoders that Ralphie uses. Very cool stuff in those days, and made of BRASS...not the cheapo plastic that would be used today.

INCIDENTLY, when Ralphie goes to see Santa in the Department store, JEAN SHEPHARD is the man with the beard & hat that tells him he has to go back to the end of the line.

Shephard died in 1999, and though his radio show was a New York staple for years, it was the film "A Christmas Story" that made him a WorldWide Legend.

BTW: Darren McGavin was always superb in any role he ever took on...and his role in this one is one of his crowning achievments ! Through the years he played "Mike Hammer", "Kolchak", and many other roles, but he died in 2006 knowing the impact this particular film had on this generation and all of those to come.

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  21. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

They made a Play out of it. Saw it in Seattle in November. 5th Street Theater, did a fantastic job with it, was very enjoyable. The lobby was covered in Leg Lamps....

22. Another great movie is Neil Simon's "Lost in Yonkers" for cars and a 40's setting with Uncle Louie, Aunt Bella the kids and Grandma's Soda Fountain/Candy Store. Loved the two gangsters with their hand painted "pin-up" ties and 40 yellow Packard roadster. A great movie that didn't get much recognition.

opps, forgot Aunt Bella's boyfriend... :)

23. DIRTY_WHITE_BOY

DIRTY_WHITE_BOY
    from Tennessee

"Triple Dog Dare" Family tradition to watch it with my two daughters at Christmas. My all time favorite movie

24. GaryC.

GaryC.

Where's Flick?

25. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

Ralphie decodes the "BESURETODRINKYOUROVALTINE"and then says....Son-of-a-bitch...I look forward to that part everytime I watch it.

26. For a lot of us ol' graybeards this movie reminds us of our childhood and simpler times ,,I too dreamed of owning a Red Ryder BB gun and heard those very same words from my mom,,You'll shoot you eye out,,,

I saw this movie when it first came out and honestly think I have seen it every year since,,it just makes me smile and laugh.

The other movie that is a must see is It's a Wonderful Life,,it also makes me laugh at times and some parts make my eyes leak!:rolleyes:

27. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085334/

imdb description of the movie, cast, and some trivia.

Melinda Dillon is still alive and staying busy in TV and films, as is Scott Schwartz (Flick).

28. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Okay, so a year was never cast in stone on when it was supposed to take place. Its mostly late 30s early 40s. What year is the police car in the "flagpole" scene? Looks post war to me!

29. BettyRumble

BettyRumble
    from Tennessee

You are correct sir

30. Only problem I have with that body is that's an awful lot of rust in the quarters for no older than that body would have been in the 1940's.