Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dennis Gage House burns up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by henry29, Dec 23, 2010.

1. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Damn, sorry to hear of this. I'll keep the Gage family in my prayers as well. It'll get better.
    Hey, and I like the 'stache. Gives him class. Hope to meet him someday.

2. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

I spent some time talking with Dennis at the Hot Rod and Restoration trade show in Indy in March of '09...like me, he is also a degreed engineer (chemical, IIRC) and is as quirky and knowledgeable as anyone here (which is a VERY good thing!!).

...anyway, Dennis, if you're reading this, man I am so sorry to learn of your loss. I also hope everything smooths out with your mom. If you need anything, I suggest replying to this thread with a want/need list. I'll be monitoring it and, like 99% of the people who've responded, if I can help I sure as hell will.

~~~
    oh, and a quick PS to the two or three people who posted here who have an axe to grind: don't go away mad, just go away.

3. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dennis, I am so sorry for the loss of your house and your mother's illness and the people on this board who never learned how to behave in public. Very glad your family and your cars are OK. Hope you get back on your feet again soon.

4. Hey Dennis, I wish you all the best in getting your situation and life back in check. I met you at Carlisle and we talked a bit...you were busy, but still had time for me..Thanks and Good Luck.

Murph

5. Displayman

Displayman

Our prayers are with him.
    We met him in Vegas at SEMA a few years
    back, nice guy down to earth.

Bob _Hampshire, Illinois

6. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

We live in a share it world!
    None of us are without need of understanding at times. I feel for anyone who endures a tragedy such as a house burning.
    I even feel empathy towards those who felt the need to share negtitive comments.
    My God touch your hearts and may each have a Merry Christmas.

7. Thank you and Merry Christmas to you.

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Absolutly!
    and well said
    Well wishes to all, even the ones that need it most.

9. Very unfortunate situation..compounded by his mothers illness. I do not know him, but feel compassionate towards him, and his family..he is one of us, just as all of you are. A brother is down, let's not kick him.

10. Hey we meet people everyday. You know that all personallities don't mesh up completely. If someone met you, and claimed you were a doucheplug that day, does that mean you are all of the time??? :mad:
    I hope not.
    My sympathy goes out to the Gage Family......
    Nice to see that there is over 99% good karma here on The HAMB.
    We are all just trying to get through life, tease each other at times; give some crap out when it is needed........
    So if you dish out bad karma?? bad karma gets back more bad karma.

Happy Holiday's to all you HAMBers.

11. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

MAN!!!! remind me not to have my house burn down at christmas time and post it on here !!!!! i have a mustache AND a goatee you's guys will throw me to the wolves !!! what a lameass comment man .
    hope all will get better for dennis, i like his show and his knowledge of cars is awesome.
    goat

12. I've met Dennis a couple of times and he always had the trademark smile and was willing to talk and pose for pics if you asked. Too many 'celebrity types' are pleasant when the camera's around, but totally different one-on-one. I never saw that from him.

My sincere Best Wishes for the Gage family in these troubling times.

13. jefscoupe

jefscoupe

Sorry to hear of this. Prayers and good thoughts go out to the Gage family.

14. sy1356

sy1356

Well said. Prayers for all envolved.

15. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Thats horrible! Glad to hear nobody hurt! Prayers to Dennis and his family.

16. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Thoughts and Prayers sent to the Gage family..........

17. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

That is Horrible ! No one deserves to loose their entire life of everything they owned like that ! Dennis is a good car guy to the end ! I am very happy to hear that family was safe and they weren't hurt . It's even more painfull at this time of year .
    My prayers and thoughts go out to Dennis Gage and his family for such a terrible lose . He is a good guy and I know he will get back on his feet very soon but you just can't replace certain things that are lost in a fire . GOD Bless the Gage Family !

I have been there too and it really does suck !

Retro Jim

18. 296ardun

296ardun

Never met him, but he is a car guy, and really appreciates the hot rods and customs at the shows he goes to........very sorry for the house loss, glad nobody was hurt.

...and merry christmas to all

19. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

I always enjoy him on TV, especially the Tripp'n on 2 Wheels series. I met him at a BMW Motorcycle rally a few years ago, he seemed very nice. Sorry to hear about this loss.

20. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I didn't know someone else knew this, it's a terrible loss, can the mods clean up some of the stupid rude comments some people have made? it's bad enough to have a loss like this anytime, but especially at Christmas, Himself and his entire family lost their house, and some people want to be wiseasses, not what I expected on this board of all places. Lets hope he was at least well insured for the material things, a lot of things can't be replaced

21. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

i hope everything works out for dennis and his family in these troubling times. had the pleasure meeting him and talking to him a few times at various shows. he's a regular car guy like a lot of us. and if he is a hamber, i hope he reads all the posts from well wishers who truly mean what they say, and just ingnores the few posts from the insensative friggin' morons who need a good bitch slap to help them get their heads outta their ass. the guy just lost his house and his mother is seriously ill for cripe sakes. jerks..........p.s. to the mods , you can delete this if you think it's out of line, i just can't believe people can be so heartless this time of year. thanks.

22. 61falcon

61falcon

23. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Our house burned down in June of 2007. Everyone got out OK. I was in Mexico working and I had to bust my ass to get home. It was the worst experience of my life. My home is my haven as I'm sure it is for Dennis since he travels so much. It's disorienting, not having a place to go to shut out all the bullshit. It was a tough deal in the middle of summer for us, I can't imagine how tough it's going to be for him this time of year.

My thoughts go out to him and his family. I hope they bounce back quickly.

24. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

I met Dennis on two occasions. Once at an AMC meet in Kenosha and the other time in Iowa at Torquefest. The thing some of the haters don't realize about a personality like Dennis is that a lot of people are tugging at him in many directions when he shows up at an event. If he seems "short" with you or loof, it's not him being a douche. My first impression was much the same but after thinking about this, I realized the problem wasn't with him, it was me because I didn't understand at that time the demands on him at an event. Until it started happening to me (I'm an artist at car shows), I had no clue. I found myself being abrupt with people and I'm not normally like that, but I was working and I couldn't stop and chat as much as I would like. Most of the people meet him in the pervue of his work, meaning he's at an event either invited or because of his show. I watched him at Torquefest and his people and camera crew were keeping his attention focused on his interviews with people and others kept trying to interrupt him. I now understand!

25. Slightly off the original topic...The Pringle's can and trademark design came out in 1968. That makes it 42 years old. You're saying that Dennis Gage was the actual model for that??? I seriously doubt that. It sure looks like his 'stache, but how old do you think he is? Seventy-five? Don't see it.

26. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I don't know how old he is, I do know he worked for Proctor and gamble and has patents with them. He's also a heck of a musician, he just decided not to be in the music business, it's possible he has something to do with Mr. Pringle or the Mustache has something to do with it, he's just a very unique person

27. After my dad went through a small fire a couple years back we made copies of all our photos(that were special) and copied old 8mm to dvd and put the originals in a safety deposit box.

SDB are CHEAP.

Hopefully, the Falcon he always talks about on the show was not damaged.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  28. Met Dennis at the Russo Steele auction a few years ago in Scottsdale when he was auctioning off a few cars in his collection.
    A real down to earth nice guy.
    He has been dealt a bad hand but, hopefully he will bounce back fast.

29. 48cad

48cad

I had the privilege of spending a couple days with Dennis this past fall. I was amazed at the encyclopedia of car knowledge in that mans head. True hard core car guy. He constantly took time to sign autographs and pose for pictures with fans, all the while smiling and only happy to do so.
    My heart and prayers goes out to him and his family.

30. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

does Grundy insure houses?