Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. sm66p

sm66p
    from gone

2. 2nd Back Car

2nd Back Car

I have a old WIR program from 67,68, or 69, And has the qualifing times in it. I got the program from Bob Donahue a very long time ago. He wrote them down in the program. Lots of pictures in it, A.J. Foit on the cover, Trickle with his fairlane. Would anyone like me to put the qualifing times on the message board or not? It maybe a little bite before they are on, I'am working out of town.

3. never was a big winner but collected a lot of appearance money:rolleyes:
    the guy hitting me in the front did not like me after my little "going wide" and tried to take me out a lot, he run out of spare tires and quit bothering me!!
    it sure is nice to have a lot of race frineds, not!!!:p

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  4. Statsman

Statsman

Long time lurker here and many of you know me from other boards. Grew up around Late Model racing in Southern Ontario in the 70s. But for a first post I dug back into my stuff for some pics I took at Hialeah in 1975 on a family vacation.

Sparked by a lightbulb going off during this year's Snowball Derby when I realized that the guy building a bunch of those chassis was the same guy that had about the best looking Late Model I'd ever seen back in the day at Hialeah.

Here is Robert Hamke's gorgeous blue and silver Nova.
    [​IMG]

Hialeah in those days was a bunch of great drivers mostly chasing Bobby Brack and I'd read lots about is exploits in NSSN.
    [​IMG]

Guys like Larry Rogero
    [​IMG]

Billy Barnwell played the role of the villain and had just introduced a stunning new Camaro
    [​IMG]

Bobby Coyle was driving another stunning Camaro the unknown at the time to me but famed 237
    [​IMG]

We stayed with a guy that another racer friend had met up with on a trip south earlier. His name was Pete Brodie and he drove this Nova.
    [​IMG]

5. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

Great Photos Statsman. Man those were the days Great Photos. Thanks for posting them. I hope you have more to post this is a great string..

6. box50

box50

Hey man, do have any pic of Vic Irvan Erine's Dad, I worked for him a few years ago he had some kool pic hanging on his wall's. I love these old pic that's what I grew up with,remember when a stock car driver got out of a car after a race and he was dirty and he got to kiss the winston girl and then his wife can't do that now,boy how thing's have changed. Let's keep the old stuff running for another year.box50.:D

7. rcrcr1

rcrcr1

Pictures of Ed Hoffman and Terry Bivins from 1971 Short Track Championships

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. copley62

copley62

9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all, and a big THANKS for everyone who is contributing to the thread. Never expected it to grow like this. Keep 'em coming!!!

10. lawman

lawman

Merry Christmas to you also John. Thanks for all you have posted this year. Your posting makes this Old Mans day !!!!! Tom (Tired Old Man)

11. k9racer

k9racer

3980 statsman just to add a little. The 237 belonged to Marty Handshaw {{aka Marty Ford}} A very good driver and better fabiricator. after being injured he gave Gary Balough his first late model ride. a 57 chevy. On the Bobby Brack car I noticed the wheels by andy.. that would be the andrews family. Kenney Andrews well into his 70s is still driving a open wheel modified and a late model car. His older brother is helping him. they now live in mid tenn. The area had many colorful drivers and car owners. This thread brings back a lot of memories. Bobby..

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  12. Crew Member

Crew Member
    from Indiana

Copley,

I was in the Army in 1969 but that car was still around when I got out. We were only about 20 miles from Eldora and spent alot of time there. Here are some pictures from Salem Apr 29th, 1973 This was this cars first time out. We had a brand new dry sump on this and we lost the plug out of the pan and oiled down the track. Luckly with the added capacity we put another plug in and finished the race in 15th. I dont know all of the cars in the pictures so if someone can jog my memory that would help. I know from looking your dad finished 10th in this race.

13. toml24

toml24

1967 Ascot Park Gardena, CA Figure-8 stock car Buick of Jerry Jones (#198), sponsored by Chuck Southern's Automotive.

14. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Crew Member, that first picture from Salem is one of the only photos I've ever seen of George Adams, long-time pit steward at the Sportsdrome and Fairgrounds, and a great mentor to me. His flagging experience went all the way back to Bill Vandewater. I would say that's me beside him at the pit exit, but I think I was in the flagstand.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  15. copley62

copley62

Crew Member : Great pics I was at that race only 6 years old. But I have A good memory. Salem was my favorite track. I remember the cover stands don't you Bigjohn. View attachment 1188096

16. rcrcr1

rcrcr1

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas. Couple more pics from 1971. The # 48's driver out of Minnesota last name is Setran. The # 20 I dont know the name.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. LagunaKen

LagunaKen
    from Wisconsin

18. iangj

iangj

Sent a PM to you regarding the pictures you have.
    Would like to get any other pictures of this car.
    Thanks

19. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Oh yeah, Copley, I remember those covered grandstands. The rumble was awesome, particularly if you were in the old flagstand that was attached to one of the roof supports.

20. entitledg

entitledg

I enjoyed seeing the pictures, such pics are treasures we should preserve the stock car racing experience. Keep the pics coming I'm thinking of scanning the pics.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  21. iangj

iangj

Also I should have added that any pictures of the Montego GT cars run by the Wood Brothers (we have lots now but more always welcomed), and also the Puro Racing #75 Mercury.
    My research showed that Tricke ran the #75 Mercury twice and that Bobby Isaac ran it once for Puro in '75 at the National 500 @ Charolotte. I have never been able to find any pictures of the Isaac Mercury anywhere.
    Any help much appreciated.

22. iangj

iangj

Indybigjohn, did I read way back in here that you had a Montego GT?
    I'd love to hear more.

I am the new admin for the Mercury Montego GT Registry and always on the lookout for more info & pictures in street & race form.

23. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Nope, iangj, never had a Montego that I can remember. Of course, they say the memory is the second thing to go. I forget the first.

24. Dr. John

Dr. John

[​IMG]

Dan Swain, Scottsville, NY -- 1972
    Victory at Spencer Speedway near Rochester.

25. Dr. John

Dr. John

Doug Barlow at Ransomville (NY) Speedway -- 1972
    [​IMG]

Johnny Adams at Spencer Speedway (Rochester, NY), 1972.
    [​IMG]

Jim Borget, 1972, Ransomville (NY) Speedway.
    [​IMG]

Ken Reimer at Holland (NY) Speedway, 1972.
    [​IMG]

Jerry Makara at Cayuga Speedway (Nelles Corners, Ontario), 1972.
    [​IMG]

Howie Scannell, 1972.
    [​IMG]

Ed Anchor at Holland (NY) Speedway, 1972.
    [​IMG]

Roger Kelly at Holland (NY) Speedway, 1972.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  26. butch27

butch27

Didn't Makara have some trouble in the states and had to race in Canada even though he lived in Michigan?

27. Racewriter

Racewriter

Are you talking about a specific time period? He raced all over the U.S. through the 70s in the Draime cars. Saw him run at I-70 Speedway in Missouri and at Daytona in the same car in 1977. Never heard a lot about him, though, after John Anderson got the Draime ride.

28. Racewriter

Racewriter

A little more: Apparently Makara went road racing in the 80s. This is his Aspen running 8th at Mid-Ohio, Kelly American Challenge, 1982:

[​IMG]

29. AllenK

AllenK

There was a winged Vega dirt track car that sat for 30 years behind a mechanic's shop in the next town down from here. I always meant to get a pic,but I didn't. The town passed an ordinance about junk cars,and I knew that it was going to be moved. I still didn't get a pic!!! :( It looked exactly like it did when it raced. The tires even had air in them still.

This is a great thread.

30. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Makara was and is a neat guy. Remember him well from my ASA days.