Register now to get rid of these ads!

A New Life - 1933 1/2 Ton Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ricofan68, Mar 16, 2009.

1. ricofan68

ricofan68
    from Austin, TX

A New Life 1933 Ford Pickup

Today I write about a project that hopefully will make the the Lone Star Round Up in Austin Texas this year if not next year. The truck is a 1 1/2 Ton Farm truck bought back in the depression in Colorado and was never altered. After being handed down through 3 generations I purchased it in September 2007 and it was delivered to Seguin, TX on November of 2007. It sat for a year while I tried to figure out how to get it started, a year later with the help of several good peeps on the HAMB I was able to start the all original 4 Banger. Once I knew it ran I posted it for sale trying to keep its history in tact but after several months of really low offers I decided to keep it. Now I will begin work on giving this truck a new life as a 1/2 ton pickup. I intend to keep updates as I will need help since this is my first project of this era.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
    kiwijeff likes this.
  2. NealinCA

NealinCA

Neat old truck. What are your plans? Full fendered p/u? Hiboy?

Neal

3. unkamort

unkamort

Too bad you couldn't find a collector to meet your price. Thats a nice old truck. Be a shame to cut it up.

4. ricofan68

ricofan68
    from Austin, TX

I plan to keep as much in tact as possible. I found a complete all original 1/2 ton 1934 frame with original drivetrain. The motor is a 1934 V8 flathead 21 stud, 1934 3 speed tranny, banjo rear end and tourque tube with original wish bones in tact. So far we have rebuilt the fuel pump, replaced the distributor with an electronic Mallory 3 bolt, replaced the generator with 12V alternator for now and purchased a 12V rebuilt original starter.

I am going fenderless since all my fenders are really bad and it costs way to much to fix them, I may save them and put them on at a later date. I do not plan on chopping anything and will keep the road flares which are attached to the cab on the drivers side.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I understand where you are going, but a big truck can be done cool to. Anyone remember Bob Rothenburgs 32 Ford 1 1/2 tonner called Big Fella. You can usually see it parked by the swapmeet at the Nats in Louyville.

6. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

7. ricofan68

ricofan68
    from Austin, TX

No, I've never seen that truck. The fact is I think there are a ton of cool ideas but I am going to do whatever I can afford and think is cool to me. I would like to see a picture of that truck if somebody has one? The other factor is the 1 1/2 ton frame is just not practical for me, I live in the city and need something that can fit inside my garage :) I gave ebay, the HAMB and several other places the option to purchase the truck and they did not make a good enough offer. Everyone that made me an offer had the intentions of chopping it up anyway, so at least I will keep some of it's history together.

8. artemas

artemas

I am curious what the first 4 numbers are on the frame of the 33? I have a 33 and posted to your tires post back in October I think. Anway, just curious what your ID number is not counting the last few digits. I put my 33 pickup STOCK on the road this week hopefully.

9. ricofan68

ricofan68
    from Austin, TX

Here are a few more pics. We added new water pumps and updated the front suspension with a 4" dropped axle, new aluminum top king pins, 37-41 spindles which we chopped off the arms and split the original wish bones. We also installed a new brake / clutch pedal assembly but now it seems that the 34 clutch on the transmission is stuck. I am not sure what to do if the transmission is bad or has to be taken apart. Please provide any suggestions on the tranny as I wanted to keep the torque tube and all but not sure if that is the best idea.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. ricofan68

ricofan68
    from Austin, TX

A few new pics, mounted the radiator and grill shell today. We will mount the cab this week to get the correct weight to weld the brackets for the split wishbones to attach to the frame. Also used the original front spreader bar which is kind of mangled but it doesn't look that bad after polishing it out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2009
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. ricofan68

ricofan68
    from Austin, TX

A few more pictures, I painted the heads and connected a few things in the engine compartment. Rebuilt fuel pump and used the original wire looms. Now I need to rebuild the Stromberg 97 or was thinking of a new Demon but not sure just yet?

Attached Files:

12. Keep the 97. If you have the bucks for a Demon spend them on a rebuild or a quality repop with "Stromburg" on the box.

13. ricofan68

ricofan68
    from Austin, TX

thanks for the info

14. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

Any progress on this? I thought it was looking pretty good.

15. ricofan68

ricofan68
    from Austin, TX

It's been a while but I just started working on the 33 again. Here are a few pictures, I stuck with the Stromberg 97 and rebuilt it. Ordered a Bob Drake gas tank which is the next thnig to install and working on the front juice brakes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
    kiwijeff and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. Master of None

Master of None

Cool truck. Mine also started out as a 1 1/2 ton as well.

17. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Subscribed. I recently picked up a '33 Ford 1/2-ton. I'm pretty much planning to re-build mine the same way. Looking great so far!

18. ricofan68

ricofan68
    from Austin, TX

Thanks, I'm assuming yours is on your avatar? If so it looks good!!

19. ricofan68

ricofan68
    from Austin, TX

Nice, good luck and make sure to share some pics.

20. skoh73

skoh73

Looking good- should be a great build. Subscribed!

21. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

22. ricofan68

ricofan68
    from Austin, TX

Does anyone know how the original style gas tank mounts in the rear of the frame? I bought a repro gas tank but not sure if it bolts up from on top or if it goes in between the frame.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  23. ricofan68

ricofan68
    from Austin, TX

I ended up rebuilding the 97, thanks for the comments.

24. ricofan68

ricofan68
    from Austin, TX

Used original 1 1/2 Ton gas tank which was inside the cab and under the seat. I am trying to use as many original parts as possible. We basically cut the middle part of the gas tank and sandwiched it to sit much lower. This also allowed me to use the original cube seats which I had reapostured with a beaten old pice of leather I found.

Attached Files:

25. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Mine (original) mounted to the top of the frame, with some welting between the frame and tank.

26. ricofan68

ricofan68
    from Austin, TX

Ahhh,ok. Thanks

27. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

My old Deuce P/U had the seat riser gas tank also. I wasn't too keen on the idea of sitting on the gas tank. I modified a repro sedan gas tank for the side inlet like a 33-34 P/U barely seen here. That got the fuel and the fumes outside of the cab. The other bonus is that I built a seat riser out of square tubing. The seat was hinged to give me access to a lot of storage as well as my new battery location with the seat tilted forward. You could modify the original gas tank into a storage compartment and still use the original 2 piece cushion if you want. These trucks are pretty small inside. A seat riser storage system is a big plus in everyday life.

Where are you going to put the battery?

kiwijeff likes this.
  28. ricofan68

ricofan68
    from Austin, TX

thanks for the info, I plan on putting the battery underneath the floor on the passenger side.

29. ricofan68

ricofan68
    from Austin, TX

Just added some headers.[​IMG]

30. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Putting them under the floor makes everything harder.
    Harder to install/remove, check the water, get a recharge or give a jump.
    There plenty of room on the firewall where Henry began putting them in 1937.
    You can mount them 1940 style and not mess up the firewall